mt comp 2009 (eat it)

george woskob: really cool weirdo pop tune. i'm downloading yr album now (for free, sorry i'm out of cash right now) the noise that's in the background and then alone at like 2:09-2:14, what is it?

Hey thanks man. Thanks for downloading and I really hope you enjoy it.

That sound is just the amplified sound of a cassette deck doin' it's thing with the bass turned up real high.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dead baron: great song, love the drumming. oh man, the second half really rips. this is like if lightning bolt made a garage rock album, which is awesome.

Hey man, glad you dug it. I'll post up some more stuff soon so you can check that out. Really really appreciate the kind words though, awesome someone dug the track.

I never really do this but these were some initial thoughts

San Rio: Not really my thing. Sounds like the fall, good song to kick of the comp with.

Panic Office: great sound. Older sounding drums give it an 80s hip hop feel. Very distinct mix of u2ish david bowie jumpy beat sound. A lot of synth stuff going on too. Sounds great.

The Ghost of External Fungus: Got the older break music sounds here. Sounds like it was fun to make.

The Zeppo: Had a hard time feeling it. Like what you did with the vocals.

Thom Praisewater: Loved the fade in. Something about the mixing that sounds a little off. Not really my thing but still beautifully written.

Mindwater: Not really my thing. Like the guitar sounds especially around 1:30. Listening to all the way through is a must. If you ever became famous your songs would be right above the minutemen on peoples itunes. You make a great opener.

George Washcob: awesome. awesome. Awesome. Animal collective undertones. Keep making music.

Kyriakos: love the sound. Easy to tell some great influences went into this. Great beat.

A Bit Cagey: Vocals sound perfect. Also love the whirly bassline sound. Was expecting the beat to go other places though. Overall dark and beautiful.

Monologue: Sounding very professional here. Autechre would be proud. Very nice, perhaps my favorite.

Black Cross: Nice guitar pedals.

Butcherdown: Great Great Great sound. I can listen to this one all day. Reminds me of beck, way better than his new stuff though.

James Grady: One of my new favorite songs. Going to be on heavy rotation. Its up there with everything on merryweather for me. Kept getting better and better.

The Dead Baron: Loving the drums on this one. Fuck, loving everything on this one. Sounds very tight. Even though the simplicity to it is great at parts, throwing in some looping and messing around with a delay could take this one really further. I like this better than the new lightning bolt.

Falling Parrot: Not really my thing, nice sound though can see radiohead peaking through in parts.

Mad matt: Pretty little song. Was waiting for it to really take off, you sound a lot like thom yorke.

The Facts: Piano kicks and and this song kicks ass. Really breathtaking sound.

Ihggy: Very original sounding. Crazy awesome stuff going on here not enough time to go into the details.

Alku: Awesome samples here, very amazing song put together here. Sounds like boards of canada or dj shadow maybe even blockhead. Gets crazy fun.

The Kitchen Club: Sounds like U2 a bit in the beginning. Easy to tell a lot of work went into this one. Guitar work is very nice on this guy. Sounding a bit 80s but thats cool. Expected it to end at around 5 minutes.

The Dead Baron: Loving the drums on this one. Fuck, loving everything on this one. Sounds very tight. Even though the simplicity to it is great at parts, throwing in some looping and messing around with a delay could take this one really further. I like this better than the new lightning bolt.

Wow thanks a ton. I'm definitely going to take your ideas about looping and delay into consideration, i've been wanting to do something with some more effects as well. I honestly thought i'd just have the song there and no one would say anything but these last few things said about my track really put a huge smile on my face. Thanks again. Here are two links to some things i put out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4o1unmlhunw This is the little riddle virtual 7". three completely different sounding tracks. I believe i posted this a while ago while i had my old account name "topsy turvy android"

http://www.mediafire.com/?jozyhc4q4zy and this is "Treats" which is my first ep compiled with two other tracks. One for all the Star Wars fans, more specifically "Star Tours".

So hope you check that out and i'd appreciate any feedback.

ghost of external fungus: seinfeld and annoying

haha! the hell is THIS shit? but yes it was seinfeld and i am glad to annoy!

you little boy toy hoy!

The Ghost of External Fungus: Got the older break music sounds here. Sounds like it was fun to make.

it was!

///

man i say lightning bolt for that DEAD COWBARON BOY and now everyone is saying it!

the hell is that!

That sound is just the amplified sound of a cassette deck doin' it's thing with the bass turned up real high.

awesome. it sounded so familiar sounding but i couldn't figure out what is was haha

http://www.mediafire.com/?4o1unmlhunw This is the little riddle virtual 7". three completely different sounding tracks. I believe i posted this a while ago while i had my old account name "topsy turvy android"

http://www.mediafire.com/?jozyhc4q4zy and this is "Treats" which is my first ep compiled with two other tracks. One for all the Star Wars fans, more specifically "Star Tours".

So hope you check that out and i'd appreciate any feedback.

yeah, i've heard some of your stuff before, but none of it seems to be on my computer so thanks. was planning on buying your tape that's coming out soon too, and now i'm definitely gonna

James Grady: One of my new favorite songs. Going to be on heavy rotation. Its up there with everything on merryweather for me. Kept getting better and better.

Hey - thats really nice of you - seriously, merryweather thing --> biggest compliment you could give - preciate it :)

1. Liquid Lunch - San Rio (kafkadoodle, mehatenames)

Haha - loving the crowd banter the start - then the tune kicks in and its really rocking - this is great man, dunno why but gets me really pumped - then goes all trippy with the leftright panning craziness. sweet.

2. Panic Office - Deep End (panicoffice)

Chorusy guitar intro is pretty - the sounds fit well with the water imagery, its cool how sometimes the vocals are really bellowing your lungs out, but still low in the mix and echoey - got that distance... just the right length, tuune.

3. The Ghost of External Fungus - Sign Field (till)

Yo - this makes my dog start raving, like jump + spin in time with the beats --> awesome. Just insane haha - couldve been longer... was having fun and it ended... good job till! i don't wana be a pirate!?

4. He'll Fall On You - Cars Apart (hailtotheshy)

The first note evokes the first note of the first track on Sigur Ros' "( )" album... theres something about that warm sound made me feel right at home. Good job on this tune... tbh its kinda anonymous in how modest it is being sat between two ear-rapers, but its also like a big musical hug; getting well into this now. play listed

5. The Zeppo - Mr. Miyagi Aka The Song Of HOPE (castor troy)

Are you possessed??!! At first it was kinda fun and ironic.. but then when youre shouting "MR MIYAGI - HE WILL SHOW YOU!!" it gets strangely sinister. as till said, its a beast.

6. Thom Praisewater - A Cold River (mooks)

The song is great, melodic, the lyrics are really sad, vocal performance is top; little too much fat though - particularly the intro... 1:20 of just rhythm guitar chords is a little excessive - just set the tone + sing... excellent tune though.

7. Mindwater - Fear Of Success (thief of fire)

Loving the jangly garage scrappyness of the guitar, your vocals are just right too - the distance is cool.

8. George Woskob - Salt Story (badman)

I find this quite unsettling - how it goes from icy trip hop to warm major chords, then that last min is kinda jarring, sort of holds one suspenseful tone and keeps listener holding their breath. great song - makes me wana revisit that album, drawn back into that world.

9. Kyriakos Ioannou - Gambler (kyriakos)

Yo - this tune just floated past unnoticed first time round but now really into it. proper moody tronics. sounds like could be the soundtrack to something. can imagine driving at night to this, maybe its the "whoooshes"... could be longer, just starting to get absorbed in it and ends.

10. A Bit Cagey - Anything Current (muckitup)

Sequencing was clever there - that flowed perfectly... didn't realise the track had changed. The songs alright... good vocals -- not in the mood for the gritty/mock gothic vibe right now though.

11. Monologue - Jack Takes Revenge (babydoctor)

For some reason this reminds me of like fighting a boss battle on an old videogame. All good instrumental electronic should take you to a magic place in your head - its like escapism... this totally succeeds for me, its like having a really tense action adventure boss battle dream. too bad the dream finished before the song! eh-oh! yeah, haha its awesome n all, but s'too long. nice job :thumbsup:

12. Blood From The Air - Black Velvet Cross (-ryan-)

sounds like the song is in actually physical pain. cool.

13. George Johnston - Number 15 (butcherdown)

Yay! was ready for acoustic instruments at this point, all FXed out. This tune really swaggers - the vocal sounds so tired and pissed off, but mellow - yaknow? - s'cool. you've got the lyrics down too man.

14. James Grady - Her Elevensies (penatonic boy)

Thanks for everyones words on this! you's have cheered me right up :)

15. The Dead Baron - Eight Blind Women (baron)

Whoa! haha - gunna need new headphones. Funktastic! Amazeballs! That bass raped my ears hard.

16. Fallen Parrot - Lost Wings (gordx)

The vocals are beautiful. Especially during the really high part in the chorus -- she almost becomes indecipherable, very emotive... found it rewards listening more than once. The band sounds tasteful too, nice and subtle - clean guitars + letting the vocals take centre stage was a good move. great song.

17. ??? - Fallen Feather (madmatt321)

Holy shit - Thom entered the comp!? haha --> good song man, first time it kinda past me by but now gives chills every time.

18. The Facts - Lady In Black (milky wonder bitch)

There's a sound in this, round 1.30ish where its like a yawning pitch bendy thing - reminded me of "mojo pin" by jeff buckley... nice noise - its beautiful. plus the beats have an amazing soporific affect - its trance inducing, you couldve had 5 mins just the first half. but no! the sudden injection of melody is a real lift but doent really sit quite right for me sorry, thought the 1st have is pretty much perfect.

19. Handglops - I Wanna Go 2 (ihggy)

Its insane --> at first its really scary and sinister sounding... but as it goes on, the same sounds seem melancholic instead. Its great how splurges of messy noise sortof gradually drift into a song seamlessly...Maybe becoming me new favourite song. Can't decipher the lyrics right now but yeahman -- fits me everything i'm feeling right now.. but you articulated it into a song before me - you bastard!

20. Aiku - Outdoors (alkuharka)

Listened to this 1 + 1/2 times through when was out walking the dog with me lil sis. Seems like its properly put together -- meant to be like a journey or whatever... its almost like a whole EP in one tune... so many ideas. Kinda into the portisheadyness of the first half but after that - don't really get it. maybe i was overthinking but sorry, though can appreciate the craftsmanship that when into it, could'nt wait for it to end - didn't really like it sorry.

21. The Kitchen Club - The Golden Seal (definitely toby)

Yo - The guitar sound and drum + bass style sounds kinda like 15step, but not as sparse --> really into this song actually... its 2 mins too long in my opinion, but kinda earns it with that spaghetti western/pulp fiction minor7thy guitar chords ringing out at the end --> that bit is epic.

i'm happy mine was the only one that was too short... leaving you wanting more! go out on a high note! show man shippi! ... i didn't realize that mine was the shortest song on the compf!

i think the 11minuter is a bit too long... and then having a 7minuter right after... all this after hearing over 70min of music puts the listener a bit on edge...

man i'm having fun even reading the comments for OTHER PEOPLES songs...

i must be into this!

2012 can't come soon enough!

i'll have to figure out a 3rd way to have the Lemming track!

alright here goes:

1. Liquid Lunch - San Rio (kafkadoodle, mehatenames)

Love the intro, great way to start off the compilation. due to the quality of it i was expecting a more full on studio-like sound for the actual song. not that i'm faulting you for it, it's obv a live recording so it is what it is. just would've been a nice contrast. i liked the song itself, nice upbeat jam. and the phaser swooshes that come in later are unexpected and p sweet. nice touch

2. Panic Office - Deep End (panicoffice)

lots of interesting contrasts in this song: between the guitar and drum rhythms, between the reverb in the voice and guitar and the total lack of reverb in the piano and the vocalizing at the 2:10 mark, gives the impression of the song being off in the distance and then suddenly reigned in, sitting up close (but not too close) to comfortably keep your attention. electronic additions are nicely placed and well done...usually not a fan of chorus effects on guitars but i think it made sense for the song and sounded great. the oohs and aahs could be a bit louder behind the voice during the first verse. the unison singing was sometimes not very much in unison and the second voice tended to have pitch issues. but i like the vocals overall, good confident quality to them

3. The Ghost of External Fungus - Sign Field (till)

uhh, well, p much not at all surprised by this coming from you, till :D i didn't get any of the references, but the beats were cool and the execution was tight. this type of music is not at all my thing, so about halfway through i realized i was involuntarily grinding my teeth and had to turn it off. but i'm glad people are getting a kick out of it

4. He'll Fall On You - Cars Apart (hailtotheshy)

maybe it's a keyboard but the tones in this song remind me of vibes and bass, one of my favorite instrument combinations and one that immediately grabbed my attention because of this jazz phase i'm going through. i love how this piece progresses and has such a nice calm groove to it, the l+r pulsing and the pitch bending are awesome, the percussion is industrial without being too abrasive, and i like how you let the bass go home early and made everyone else work the night shift. damn i dig this alot

5. The Zeppo - Mr. Miyagi Aka The Song Of HOPE (castor troy)

any peace or serenity i derived from shy's song was violently ripped away from me when this beast came on immediately after. i wish there had been like, a five second pause between the two, the first emotion evoked was severe annoyance which isn't entirely fair (sorry.) i'm not really sure what to say about this piece, it's so far removed from anything i enjoy listening to. That being said, i don't doubt its validity as a piece of music and am aware that there is an audience for it. btw, the vocals remind me of a shitfaced kyriakos :lol:

6. Thom Praisewater - A Cold River (mooks)

if the guitar isn't looped, +2pts for your stamina and steady sense of rhythm. also, i like the way you write; your lyrics are poignant and well thought out. this one's a grower, i find myself searching for a formula here and my short term memory is such shit i can't i can't tell if there is a chorus/repeated lyrics or not. it'll become clearer with more listens. either way, i like the song and dig your manly voice ; )

7. Mindwater - Fear Of Success (thief of fire)

simple straightforward punk. i likez. vocal delivery is great, you've got the voice for the genre. can't really agree with pentatonic about the distance though. i haven't heard other mindwater stuff as of yet (though my curiosity has now been piqued) so i don't know whether it's intentional or you're just working with what you have, but i think i might've enjoyed it even more with a better quality recording.

8. George Woskob - Salt Story (badman)

: ) i liiikkkeee...where do i start? well, first and foremost the production is very well thought out and the execution is p close to perfect. great use of space, l+r & f+b, it's an important aspect of one's listening experience, imho. and the mix is delicious, highs in the voice and lows in the bass and the cassette effect (which i adore, btw) and all kinds of treats in the mids...the off-kilter singing, the blas

Edited by Wonder Milky Bitch

oh boy I read every single track by track review (and all the other comments) and man is this awesome!!!!111111

it really sucks that I can't dl this because I lost my laptop on an amtrak train when I got off on the wrong stop and it went all the way to seattle without me and they didn't find it there and they might not have it at any of the other stations but why the hell am I posting about that. I feel like I've already heard some of the songs which just makes this waiting suck all the more. I'm really looking forward to this. I felt like plugging a few albums to dl reading through the comments and there's more than just these three but you guys should check out:

-panicoffice's Stereo Disconnect s/t EP (he sent me a free hard copy not sure if he'll up it or if you want to pay, but I've been playing it a lot and it's worth whatever small price you need, I think he was only charging for shipping last I checked).

-pentatonic boy's Mr. Happy EP, it's for dl in your art, also included in the musician directory thread. it'll be drastically different from his animal collective (!) approach in the comp from what I gathered, but there are some painfully great songs on it.

-madmatt's Virtual Civilisation EP. some of you guys didn't quite like the song I think, and some of you really did. kyle zufolo and I both talked about how good this EP is irl, which means it must be good right

also thanks a lot for the kind words guys. even if it's one word, it really means a lot.

and yeah i have another song that sounds like some weird magical neo-folk :lol: so uh maybe i'll save that for a rainy day or the next comp!

thansk though, eventually i'm gonna get around to hearing this whole thing

14. James Grady - Her Elevensies (penatonic boy)

When this first came on i was all like 'wut.' but by the end i found that i'd thoroughly enjoyed it! The way it goes from 'boom, fart, boom, fart, boom, fart' and explodes into this sort of ultra-distorted irish pub song is just great. And though sometimes it gets lost in the mix, I love your voice. It fits the song perfectly.

haha thanks alot! :thumbsup: --> nice one reviewing everything in such detail too, wass a good read. yeah i made fart sounds with my mouth in time with the bass :smoke_coo

+ yeah - this thread might be better in general chat.... the track-by-tracks here are great - stick it in chat + it won't run out of steam.