microphones etc.

i'm looking for a couple mics to record an upright piano. the advice i have been getting from online sources is that i should go with the AKG c1000's; mostly because they fit into a realistic price range and they have a great reputation. anyone here have experience with other microphones on a piano? (with a 200-300 USD price range). or maybe it's worth paying a little extra for higher quality? ?????????????????

AKG's are very nice, they give a fantastic response, but if you want something else which gives a little more colour, something like a DPA 4003 omnidirectional will do just as well. You could of course go for some standard SM57's or 58's they are industry standard and you know what your getting with your cash. Sup to you

AKG's are very nice, they give a fantastic response, but if you want something else which gives a little more colour, something like a DPA 4003 omnidirectional will do just as well. You could of course go for some standard SM57's or 58's they are industry standard and you know what your getting with your cash. Sup to you

yeah i have some 57's and a 58. thanks for the heads up with on the 4003's. i hadn't heard about them. they actually sound like exactly what i need after some short reading about them. so yeah, thanks.

edit; i'm lucky raptor btw

• 2 years later...

i've been saving for a few months, so it should help, but i don't even know how much i will end up spending on that kind of mic.

i've been very frustrated with my regular mic. i have to sing so close to it to get a half-decent volume, and it changes my diction, makes me more nasal, etc. i know my voice could be better cause i still smoke, but my style is closer to spoken word than singing on many of my songs. i hope i will be happier with a condenser.

that fucker does look snazzy

• 2 weeks later...

a stand is never really necessary as long as you can get the mic to be where you want it to be. sometimes it's hard to get it to stay in place floating 4 feet above the ground without a stand, though.

I hung my microphone once from a light fixture on my ceiling to get a mic for above my drum set.

i guess i'll just go get the mic first, the rest should float along. i've been using a music stand, and it's pretty flimsy. now that i shake my head while playing...

always kind of wondered why thom yorke or others don't just play with some cordless headset or something. guy moves a lot. you wouldn't have to pay attention to singing into the mic and such. i guess there's more to it than that. i guess a good old mic on its stand is still better. or would that make thom look like some sort of britney spears?

i think you should also consider what you'll be running the mics through. if you're running it through a built in noisy preamp on a behringer 4 track, there's no point in buying a set of $300 mics. you can easily get away with a pair of small diaphragm condensers that are in the $100-150 range as long as you apply some subtle EQ. you can also complement the small diaphragm condensers that will ideally be placed very near the piano with a single or pair of large diaphragm condenser that is placed at a distance to get the "room" sound. again, cheap mics that are durable will do fine.

i'll look into that brian, cheers.

my bro told me that condenser mics can be directly plugged in to a computer (usb) so i've been wondering if some models offer the two otions (usb and standard mic plug) or if it is usually one or the other. i'll look it up but as always, if you know anything from the top of your head, feel free to share. thanks.

i'll look into that brian, cheers.

my bro told me that condenser mics can be directly plugged in to a computer (usb) so i've been wondering if some models offer the two otions (usb and standard mic plug) or if it is usually one or the other. i'll look it up but as always, if you know anything from the top of your head, feel free to share. thanks.

there are some usb condenser mics on the market. to decide whether you want to buy one of those, you need to consider whether you'll ever want to expand to a more complex mic setup, because then the usb condenser will pretty much be useless; however, if you're just looking to get one good mic to get a decent sound and have no intention of expanding your mic setup in the near future, i'd suggest going ahead and getting the usb condenser.

another thing you might look at is the small xlr computer interfaces. they basically give you phantom power on 2 channels and allow you to run both xlr and 1/4" jacks into it and convert it to usb or firewire. a great (but expensive) example of this is the apogee duet. i know it's used by some of the best musicians as a portable studio with a laptop, so that can speak for its quality. if you bought something like that, you could go ahead and buy a standard xlr connection mic and interface with your computer with cleaner phantom power and a good preamp.

some relevant links:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Duet/ firewire interface

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnowballAL/ usb mic 1

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020USB/ usb mic 2

• 11 months later...

i've been working on recording my voice in my microphone (non condenser), into garageband, but i don't think it's a good fit. recording levels are at their highest, i can barely hear myself when i play the track, the only way to get a decent sound is to crank the computer volume all the way up, and i can't help but think there's gotta be a better way. the microphone is not top of the pop, but it's still decent. i don't get it.

edit: it forces me to strain my singing. i don't want that. most of the time.