The Longest Thread in Your Art

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah i'd go for the dickens option. haha   also, this is what came of the pool times   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_N5LQmFrw0

is the new podcast done?

finally getting back into drawing : )

Posted Images

Hey, man.

So what direction do you want this thread to go in? Or what niche do you see it filling?

There are seperate threads for various "disciplines" like photography, sketching, and recording, already, for example, that I think should be stickied. (How bad was that grammar?... yikes.)

Do you want this to be kind of an artistic commons just to chat with fellow artists from different disciplines? To kind of break those barriers between different groups?

I'm not at all trying to be negative toward this. Just hoping to clarify and expound on the goals of the thread.

And you're right, I just started looking around in Your Art, and it's a treasure trove. The photography thread is loaded with impressive stuff, the visual artists on this board are amazing, and I haven't even explored the musicians. It seems like everyone here has heaps of talent. And the attitude on the board is so much more positive and encouraging than General Chat. (understatement, there)

Anyway, I say carry on. It'll hopefully be a nice way to meet some of these impressive artists.

I see it as kind of a dumping ground for whatever doesn't warrant a full thread in Your Art, much like The Longest Thread in GC are for posts that don't warrant new threads.

For instances, I can talk here about my plans for a new album, since I'm not exactly recording it so it wouldn't go in my recording thread. We can talk about the state of Your Art, break down barriers, promote ourselves and other Mortigans.

It can also be a place for advice, you know, for saying, "Mutsy, what drawing equipment (is that the best word? stationary?) do you use to get that signature look you have," "Kafka, how did you get that guitar sound on Midnight Oil that doesn't sound like a guitar," etc. or even to discuss new Your Art events, like the Battle of the Bands and to notify n00bs that we've already had Your Art events like the Battle of the Bands and no one really wants another one any time soon.

And thanks for supporting the thread, Sleeper and Cindy!

My mom's in the room while I'm playing my duet with my sister, and she's complaining about how I haven't asked her to sing on an album yet.

I tried to explain how I just can't listen to my own music if I know it's my mom singing on a track.

She doesn't understand.

My mom's in the room while I'm playing my duet with my sister, and she's complaining about how I haven't asked her to sing on an album yet.

I tried to explain how I just can't listen to my own music if I know it's my mom singing on a track.

She doesn't understand.

That would kind of take you out of it, wouldn't it?

How many siblings do you have? I was just listening to Danielson Familie... There's like a million of them all doing crazy things. They're insane live. Just contact all your relatives and give them the green light.

Oh, I was going to say, regarding the poetry:

I think there's probably some concerns about intellectual property. I know that would be in the back of my mind if I wrote something really significant to me. If I posted it somewhere, I'd always wonder if someone wouldn't like it and do the copy/paste thing for their own enjoyment, then maybe share it, then it ends up on someone's Myspace page, written by Anonymous.

The circumstances probably wouldn't usually be malicious plaigarism, but lots of people on the web like to quote things that may have impacted them or moved them or just struck them as pretty, and in that situation they often simply fail to consider attribution.

Images can easily be scavenged or pirated, too. But proving right of ownership is usually easier with an image. You can produce the original fairly easily. That's not necessarily true with the written word.

actually, one reason why this forum doesn't get as much attention as it deserves is because people only post here when they have something they want to share. some finished project. there is no friendly chatter going on in this forum. so this thread may also help to create more interest in general conversation (of an artistic nature) in this forum.

I think there's probably some concerns about intellectual property. I know that would be in the back of my mind if I wrote something really significant to me. If I posted it somewhere, I'd always wonder if someone wouldn't like it and do the copy/paste thing for their own enjoyment, then maybe share it, then it ends up on someone's Myspace page, written by Anonymous.

The circumstances probably wouldn't usually be malicious plaigarism, but lots of people on the web like to quote things that may have impacted them or moved them or just struck them as pretty, and in that situation they often simply fail to consider attribution.

unless you're protecting something that is sellable, ie you're being published, this is a somewhat indulgent concern- all that should really matter is that you can do something like that, and others can't. i always cringe when i see people put copyright notices under their own stuff and shit.

unless you're protecting something that is sellable, ie you're being published, this is a somewhat indulgent concern- all that should really matter is that you can do something like that, and others can't. i always cringe when i see people put copyright notices under their own stuff and shit.

i'm really torn about that. all my photography teachers recommended always protecting your work with copyright. but the thing is, people can steal stuff that's copyrighted too, and in most cases they aren't getting anything for it - on the net, you don't see people getting paid for posting stuff like that. i suppose it does happen that they gain somehow, or there wouldn't ever be a need for copyright in the first place.

and i can say it does gall me to see people try to take credit for someone else's idea or effort. and i have seen it happen. one of the lamest things i ever saw was some guy in a poetry community at livejournal tried to take credit for a poem he had 'written', of which about 95% of the total piece was lyrics to some old who songs, verbatim. he claimed it was his work. people called him on it, and only then did he say, oh yeah well he based it on some old songs and forgot to say anything about it. but you know, what good would a copyright do in cases like that? dude's not making money from it. just trying to make everyone think he's a poet.

it's just not necessary- if you made it you have the copyright, and for the vast vast vast majority such things are the least of your worries. with photos there's a far greater chance of it being used without your knowledge of course so a stamp is more appropriate, if ultimately just as futile.

if i found out someone posted one of my poems as their own somewhere, i'd be flattered and take it as a good sign. if they were trying to make money out of it or gain reputation i'd fuck them in the ass and take it as an even better sign of my own skills. but the poetry world in particular, you're just not going to get anywhere stealing stuff and you'd be an idiot to even try. besides, peeps should primarily post their poetry on the net humbly looking for criticism, as opposed to assuming they'll affect someone so much that their IP is under threat.

whenever ive got something like a few chords or a riff i just play it really loud and the lyrics just come out of my mouth, its awesome

this is what I want this thread to look like.

Also, I'm gonna use it to dump b-side songs.

tonite i did a duet with a cube of margarine. and for my next songs i record i'm going to record them by having a cell phone on speakerphone in the room with me while im playing, while its in a call with a nother cell phone which is on speaker which is being recorded. and there will probably be a vacuum in it too

there's an abundance of ambient sounds I wish I could record. I also like the sound you get when you take two cell phones on a call up to both ears and go, "ooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" but I have no idea how to record it.

A shame.

Anyone have any ideas for my Cover album? Sad Songs and Love Songs? Any song ideas?

i'm really torn about that. all my photography teachers recommended always protecting your work with copyright. but the thing is, people can steal stuff that's copyrighted too, and in most cases they aren't getting anything for it - on the net, you don't see people getting paid for posting stuff like that. i suppose it does happen that they gain somehow, or there wouldn't ever be a need for copyright in the first place.

and i can say it does gall me to see people try to take credit for someone else's idea or effort. and i have seen it happen. one of the lamest things i ever saw was some guy in a poetry community at livejournal tried to take credit for a poem he had 'written', of which about 95% of the total piece was lyrics to some old who songs, verbatim. he claimed it was his work. people called him on it, and only then did he say, oh yeah well he based it on some old songs and forgot to say anything about it. but you know, what good would a copyright do in cases like that? dude's not making money from it. just trying to make everyone think he's a poet.

i've only ever seen a few of my photos up on blogs, i'm not so bothered (i'm not going to ask them to take them down) but i'd much prefer it if they contact me before hand.

FUCK

I want to be creative so much more but all I fucken do is sit in front of my computerscreen doing nothing its like a tornado with guillotines on the inside canned up in a Coca Cola can left unopened on the bench in a children's playground and ready to explode decapicating and sucking all these happy Mickey Mouse children into whatever destination Death has set out for them

anyone have any suggestions as to new instruments I should buy? They should preferrably be cheap and/or easy to buy second hand.

I already have:

a line 6 echo park pedal

guitar

bass guitar

keyboard (with drums)

scottish whistle

saxophone