i learned by singing along to all sorts of bands from when i was in jr high and i still do it in the car now 6 or 7 years later... but that's really not enough, you have to do some ear training, tuning yourself and listening to yourself can be hard sometimes. i get most of my training on that stuff at school but if you have the money and the time i would suggest getting some voice lessons, just to learn the proper breathing and that stuff. if you enjoy it keep doing it while you can, you stand nothing to lose from the experiance.

being mediocre for a while. although i actually have nothing against people taking lessons from a good teacher. it's very important to learn how to breathe correctly, although it's something that you can learn yourself. there's a website with some good exercises and tips here.

but the bottom line is you've gotta practice. it's a case of working on weaknesses and strengthening your voice, but it's also to do with confidence. the better you get at it, though, the more confidence you'll have in your abilities.

anyway yeah, good luck in deciding what you want to do.

the way my band worked is that we started off only doing recordings as a duo. i had always played guitar, and my friend always did piano, but he's a way talented musician so he picked up drums with little difficulty. all of our songs were instrumentals becuase neither of us wanted to sing. but we ended up just going for it because people don't want to listen to a bunch of pop songs with no words. neither of us were particularly good at first.

we always sang on record, but when we first started to play live, we got one of our friends who was in musicals to do the singing, because i had real trouble singing and playing at the same time.

however, people trained to sing for musical theatre generally have lots of difficulty getting out of "musical" mode and into a rock mode, so we kind of dropped him. i ended up having to take lead vocals. i'm still not a very good singer, but after just going for it enough times, i think i have improved a lot.

so i would say to just jump in. singers of necessity are usually more unique than trained singers anyway, and if you're writing the songs it'll be much easier if you sing them.

the way my band worked is that we started off only doing recordings as a duo. i had always played guitar' date=' and my friend always did piano, but he's a way talented musician so he picked up drums with little difficulty. all of our songs were instrumentals becuase neither of us wanted to sing. but we ended up just going for it because people don't want to listen to a bunch of pop songs with no words. neither of us were particularly good at first.

we always sang on record, but when we first started to play live, we got one of our friends who was in musicals to do the singing, because i had real trouble singing and playing at the same time.

however, people trained to sing for musical theatre generally have lots of difficulty getting out of "musical" mode and into a rock mode, so we kind of dropped him. i ended up having to take lead vocals. i'm still not a very good singer, but after just going for it enough times, i think i have improved a lot.

so i would say to just jump in. singers of necessity are usually more unique than trained singers anyway, and if you're writing the songs it'll be much easier if you sing them.[/quote']

sounds like my band... i do all the singing and bass in rehearsal (havent gigged yet due to lack of a drummer) and it's so much easier to write and arrange music without the ego of a dedicated singer getting in the way. playing and singing at the same time is a fucking bitch, but the trade off is worth the extra practice time

Me(guitarist) and the other guitarist in my band take turns singing. The thing is, the other singer SUCKS at singing, he knows it, i know, its easy to tell but he says he dosen't care. He's obsessed with nirvana and sings in a whinny (kurt cobain minus the talent) voice. His guitar parts are really simple and just power chords (which any one can do) and sound like copies of sh!tty nirvana songs (not the good ones). Me on the other hand have a real creative way of approching music and want to make good music, i'm not a very good singer but at times i can do well and I have improved alot (been doing it for 2 years or so). I think I will drop the band as it is stupid being in it, having to deal with this issue is ridiculous.

Me(guitarist) and the other guitarist in my band take turns singing. The thing is, the other singer SUCKS at singing, he knows it, i know, its easy to tell but he says he dosen't care. He's obsessed with nirvana and sings in a whinny (kurt cobain minus the talent) voice. His guitar parts are really simple and just power chords (which any one can do) and sound like copies of sh!tty nirvana songs (not the good ones). Me on the other hand have a real creative way of approching music and want to make good music, i'm not a very good singer but at times i can do well and I have improved alot (been doing it for 2 years or so). I think I will drop the band as it is stupid being in it, having to deal with this issue is ridiculous.