Kid A 20th Anniversary

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

smug dismissal of The Smile yields no space for insight or conversation and your extreme and false portrayal of the bands politics is obviously terminally influenced by one disagreement (they played a

Me, who only has like five songs from Kid A on my phone:

still love amnesiac, and kid a. they flip flop regularly about which i prefer.  haven't listened to either in awhile, but when i think "do i feel like listening to rh right now?" those 2 are the ones

On 5/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, nowhere said:

No they pulled the songs from iTunes years ago, around 2015-6 when the back catalog was purchased by XL from EMI’s successor company. These tracks were removed because they were part of the 2009-10 reissue series that was not approved by Radiohead, but like the 2008 greatest hits, was released by EMI after they left the label in 2007. Most of the songs on the 2009 Amnesiac reissue are simply the b-sides of Amnesiac, which continued to be available. But the Canal Plus live tracks were only ever officially released as part of that EMI reissue the band didn’t approve—so those particular tracks did not stay on streaming/download services after XL bought their catalog from EMI. In fact they were deleted to such an extent that even purchasers would could longer access or even see the songs.

Well, what I noticed recently is they seem to be in the process of returning these bonus tracks into iTunes. So far even if you once bought the tracks, you still can’t re-download or play them via iTunes, but you will at least now see the track names reappearing in the iTunes purchased list, after years of being invisible. If you try to play them it will say the track is being “modified.”

I don’t even think it’s a certainty that the Canal Plus live material (or the BBC live tracks from the Kid A reissue, which also reappeared recently) will end up being included in whatever Kid A and Amnesiac reissue they’re working on, but maybe it’s like with registering song titles far in advance for copyright reasons, they give iTunes a long lead time with the provisional tracklist or at least any songs that might have been hidden in their old iTunes catalog and they now want to start bringing back.

Considering that Radiohead’s back catalog has not changed hands since 2015-6 (and there are no rumors that it has recently been sold by XL to another party) the only reason for the sudden reappearance of those tracks now would be if iTunes radically changed their protocol w/r/t availability of past purchases (I haven’t seen any other evidence this is the case) or more likely, Radiohead and their current label XL are making preparations to rerelease some or all of these once-hidden songs along with probably some unheard ones.

Edit: idk why I posted so many words on this. Amnesiac and Kid A sessions is the only reissue I could care about (unless they drop the Spike Stent version of IR and the Q-tip version of TKOL* which will never happen) but I still don’t really care much... maybe if they make it so all profits are for some cause besides their own asses. I really just want to hear Dogwander.

The what

• 2 weeks later...

people aren't discussing The Smile because the board is obviously dead. your, um, extremely specific opinions might find a more engaged audience elsewhere. they're so negative and conflated with political issues that it seems unlikely that you're actually interested in discussion.

smug dismissal of The Smile yields no space for insight or conversation and your extreme and false portrayal of the bands politics is obviously terminally influenced by one disagreement (they played a gig in Israel). i find your leaps of logic hard to follow and references to 'Thom/fan sexual relationships' are unsubstantiated forum gossip.

your essays are better posted on your blog. let this board rest in peace.

I haven't listened to it because I was doing something when I found out about it and forgot until now. They are being notably quiet on Palestine which is disappointing but not surprising. Generally I can't be bothered to read 10 paragraph posts of any type but especially not really ones that are like "the band that we are all here because we like are actually bad just like everything else in the world"

stop posting about how shit I, Israel and Radiohead are and go and enjoy your life.

the era of big forum essay back and forth has passed, for better and worse. probably the Radiohead reddit is the best place to have a discussion now. i don't want to see this once magnificent but now dead/sleeping forum overpowered by your constantly off topic and/or angry contributions. i strongly feel that your arguments need to be strengthened by rigorous engagement with a more active community, which we here at Mortigi Tempo are unfortunately unable to provide you with at the current time.

Israel has a hell of a lot of problems but its existence is more legitimate than the first two entities. Radiohead were never subjected to a Holocaust, they were never the “outsiders” their branding portrayed them as. Penny is just nondescript and noncommittal.

I did see a really funny post on reddit where a user asked for recs of music with similar vibes to the guitar line of I Might Be Wrong and a bunch of other blues inspired tunes, and asked very sincerely what genre this falls into, and was recommended “Krautrock” by 30 people with no one even mentioning blues lmao.

The streaming site bilibili had a lot of the Worthy Farm performances soon after the event, including the Smile (and PJ Harvey’s poems, which I linked in another thread here). I’m not sure if these are still up, but being China based, it could be less subject to takedown orders from the UK.