Thomas J - Everything Will Be Okay, Eventually

Hello!

I recorded an EP in my living room today to help take my mind off the pandemic and whatnot, made up of some songs I've written over the last couple years. It's called 'Everything Will Be Okay, Eventually'

https://thomasj.bandcamp.com/album/everything-will-be-okay-eventually

1. Drive Safe

2. Empty Balloon

3. Suzi

4. Prospects

5. Slumber

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can understand that tbh, this EP was born partially out of frustration of having these songs I didn't know what to do with, so I tried to emulate how I'd been playing them as closely as possible. With Empty Balloon in particular, I'd been playing it fast for a long time sorta intending it to have a NMH kinda vibe, so that's how I recorded it. The fact that the recordings were rough and ready with no real desire to make the EP a masterpiece was pretty liberating

• 1 month later...

Drive Safe - Great transition from the verse half-mute strum to chorus rhythm. You're quite a rhymer (most notable on that, "so I can get famous/and they can rape me in the anus" song. I like that "please don't look into my eyes" line. good delivery.

Empty Balloon - I can see how you wanted to go for the NMH rhythm, but that single-note version had so much soul. the lyrics stand out a bit more in this version, somehow. "all my love was spent on you/now my heart is an empty balloon" is A+ lyricism. 

Suzi - I like how the vocals are really upfront yet restrained. good mixing. sometimes, I don't like your flourish of vocal melody at the end of a line, but I think you have the perfect balance here. sometimes, in other songs, that last word is too drawn out, and cutting the lines short melodically would serve the lyrics better.

Prospects - going for a 7th chord, eh? someone's gotta keep 7ths alive. hm, I'm not crazy about this one. you go big on the vocals, but it's a bit off. I dig the falsetto part though.

Slumber - Is that a nylon guitar? very nice. beautiful opening line. sounds a bit like a hymnal. ah, gorgeous on "if you've got some time, come see me/I do not mind at all". this is my favorite off this EP.

I love 7th chords!

Thanks for the review! It's not a nylon string I think the strings were just old. It's funny that you brought up that Fame Orgy song, to me that's a classic example of a song I just wouldn't write now but kinda miss the unbridled cynicism of some of my old old songs