Mortigi Tempo Compilation 2013

All I said was that a lot of the tracks I've got so far are very short, less than half are more than 3 minutes in length. A compilation full of short tracks could potentially be underwhelming. I also said that I hope people don't decide to send me their b-side work so that they can keep their better tracks exclusively for albums. After all, for some of you this could be an opportunity to gain some new listeners, so you might as well hit them with your best stuff.

Lindermang, I used to have your album, the one you made that was comprised of a few short tracks of quality ISM. I can't remember what it was called although I have a feeling that it had something to do with monkeys. Anyway, I lost the album when my old laptop died so hit me with it if you can. And don't forget, only 18 days left until the deadline so you better get going with that track !

finally caught a break and got started on an outline for something... don't think i've ever posted this song here in any form.

An exclusive ! :D

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorter tracks do tend to kind of just pass you by though. A compilation is about showing off what you've got, you might as well hog as much airtime as you can without being too obnoxious. 2 minutes is very short, 7 minutes is too long, but anywhere in between is fine.

Anyway, just a quick note for everyone who is taking part, no lossless submission means an uncertain place on the compilation, as I can only upload lossless files to Bandcamp, it won't accept mp3s, and any attempt to convert mp3 to lossless will result in a noticeable loss in sound quality. Any mp3 tracks that do end up on the compilation might not sound so good when I put them on Bandcamp.

uh roger should be on that list? (setalp) he's been working on songs for days

Roger has already submitted his track. The list is only for those who are yet to send me anything.

Some of my favorite albums have all songs <3min there is absolutely nothing inherently underwhelming about a short track I think a lot more songs go on too long actually

I accept that it's a matter of opinion, but I think that variety is key, too many short songs and it starts to become hard to keep up with, there needs to be a healthy balance of short and long songs. And let's face it, most classic songs post-The Beatles are longer than 3 minutes, it isn't the 60s anymore.

Failing that I'll just convert the MP3 to a WAV

TAKE THAT AUDIOPHILES!

:(

i seriously doubt my track will be so masterful that it'll really benefit from high quality vs mediocre quality, but it's easy enough to just export as a WAV so might as well.

Honestly, you'd be surprised how much it matters. Lo-fi music sounds great when the lo-fi aspect is of an analogue origin. Digital lo-fi outside of the glitch genre just sounds pants.

Roger has already submitted his track. The list is only for those who are yet to send me anything.

I accept that it's a matter of opinion, but I think that variety is key, too many short songs and it starts to become hard to keep up with, there needs to be a healthy balance of short and long songs. And let's face it, most classic songs post-The Beatles are longer than 3 minutes, it isn't the 60s anymore.

:(

Honestly, you'd be surprised how much it matters. Lo-fi music sounds great when the lo-fi aspect is of an analogue origin. Digital lo-fi outside of the glitch genre just sounds pants.

i thought the sixties had a reputation for long songs! the 80s is like, THIS SONG IS SO SHORT GUYS everyone listen to this song1!

So are you gonna give examples of what you mean or not

Sure, there are plenty. The following is a list of just 16 examples of songs that are generally considered to be classics of the past few decades, all of them are longer than 4 minutes and many are celebrated specifically for their length.

Like A Rolling Stone

Hey Jude

Echoes

Tubular Bells (Part 1)

Autobahn

Bohemian Rhapsody

Thriller

Hallelujah

Fools Gold

Unfinished Sympathy

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Champagne Supernova

Paranoid Android

Bittersweet Symphony

Tender

Beautiful Day

Would you not say that these songs are also classics

we are the champions

imagine

Yesterday

Ring of fire

Blowin in the wind

London calling

I want to hold your hand

Purple haze

In my life

God only knows

Waterloo sunset

Hotel California is a classic song that goes on WAY too long

I dunno when I said all songs should be short I was facetious but really I think that you're way too hung up on long song = classic when really if a long song becomes a classic it's more in spite of it being long than because of

If people celebrate those songs you named "for their length" then I don't think I want to talk to those people