MT Battle of the Covers 2011 Round 1, Match 5: Cartwheels v. Ruffa

The National Amsterdanthem  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you like more? From which poster would you like to hear more songs?

• I'm doing Cartwheels for Cartwheels!
    • I'm Rooting for Ruffa!

All MT covers are streaming at: http://www.akakakak.com/covers2011/

Cartwheels (We're Cooking Quinoa) - The National Anthem by Broadcastcranium

The original version of this song can be heard here, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7MeqSIj4E

Ruffa (Ruffa) - Amsterdam by Jacques Brel

The original version of this song can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kkr0e_dTQ

All MT covers are streaming at: http://www.akakakak.com/covers2011/

mediafire upload of all first round songs: http://www.mediafire.com/?xbqd29h1wvdoray

Vote for the song you like more. Any alias votes will be caught and we will find out where you live. As the tournament goes on, please vote based on all the covers the poster has done so far. Of which there will be four. Yeah. Did you catch that poll title? The National Amsterdanthem? I was quite proud of that one. PS - Don't know who Cartwheels (We're Cooking Quinoalisten) is? Listen to every Your Art podcast to find out!

that's fucked up. amsterdam. isn't it zach. that's one of the covers i have on youtoob. there is something to that song for sure. so much emotion.

what's a cover to you brian? i read the discussion on covers and remixes in the general battle of the covers thread but .. i only listened to moon bear's so far and see it as a cover but it's a mix though. i guess i had in mind that a cover is more of a one take kind of idea. i absolutely don't mind whatever, for the purpose of the battle. i'm in and having fun.

can i shut up?

i suppose i like covers to show a different side of a song. different instrumentation, just different sounding in general. that's probably not the definition of a cover, but when i vote on these it's probably the most important factor. if a 'cover' gets too similar to the original, i might as well listen to the original, right?

yeah, I think especially going into recording a cover, the coolest thing about it is the creative license. you get to revision it. however, there's always going to be a revision in doing a cover, in the sense that you don't think anything needs to be changed about structure or instrumentation, you just wish you could hear say, bob dylan's voice over an akron/family song. or what have you. so, this National Anthem song doesn't take much creative license, but it is interesting to hear the sound recreated. You can admire the feat accomplished, and hearing twitter being mentioned in the radio sample. It's still a really well done cover, and you can hear more of the Cartwheels in it than not. But yeah, maybe a little underwhelming.

that's fucked up. amsterdam. isn't it zach. that's one of the covers i have on youtoob. there is something to that song for sure. so much emotion.

ha. that is a little fucked up and kind of funny. yes, there is a lot of emotion to amsterdam.

One of the measures I go by in voting is the, "what band would you like to hear more of" and Ruffa fits that. I loved the song choice. It's about as unexpected as you can get here, in this demographic. Certainly the biggest surprise, and the emotion and conviction is pure as hell. Interesting to see Ruffa's next pick if he's in round 2.

wuhu, you like my choice !

cartwheels is very well done though. are you in a band, with which you played it ?

to ed nog: amsterdam is such song! when i think i can't take it anymore (which doesnt happen so often though) i sing it and find another place i'm more comfortable to live with. good good song. original emotion is not to reach for me obviously because brel can sing so personal.

if i make it to the second round i already have something in mind.

this is why I can't stand these competitions. <edit. I love these competitions actually. What I meant to say was...this is the ONLY thing i don't like about them> that national anthem cover was AWESOME! It's a fucking cover what do you mean you want it to sound different. If you give it a different spin they'll say you ruined the song! Fucking ridiculous. if cartwheels looses this it's going to be a travesty! REALLY WELL DONE MAN!

and the creative licence went into the drumming...that was a really nice change up. It kept the original feel, but with a very nice spin on the accents.

If you lose this, know you made a fan today. :)

to ed nog: amsterdam is such song! when i think i can't take it anymore (which doesnt happen so often though) i sing it and find another place i'm more comfortable to live with. good good song. original emotion is not to reach for me obviously because brel can sing so personal.

if i make it to the second round i already have something in mind.

personal is the word definitely. that's one reason why i'm not really into the scott walker covers.

sorry ruff. i voted for cartwheels. i've been the most hesitant about this face-off. i really like the ideas you put into your cover, but i have had a hard time listening to the whole thing. the "twist" you put in there is too drastic for me. amsterdam's greatness is the pace and the acceleration, the build up of the intensity, and it's too hard for me to part from that. i'm glad you're winning though because i'm curious to see what you have up your sleeve next. good luck!

where are you from btw?

practicum? training? placement?

i was born in lourdes in the pyrénées. grew up in argelès, a small town nearby. studied in toulouse, pau and bordeaux. went to lyon once for three days and loved it. it's quite breath-taking, and i bet it's great to be doing "un stage" there.

hey thanks panic office and fanny and congrats ruffa on a job well done.

yeah that was my band from two years ago and that was a recording of a rehearsal of us doing a NA cover. I had a horn part scored and we ran through it once or twice with horns but it got wayyyy too complicated.

and yeah, our drummer was soooooo sick. he's gonna go places as a drummer.

hey thanks panic office and fanny and congrats ruffa on a job well done.

yeah that was my band from two years ago and that was a recording of a rehearsal of us doing a NA cover. I had a horn part scored and we ran through it once or twice with horns but it got wayyyy too complicated.

and yeah, our drummer was soooooo sick. he's gonna go places as a drummer.

sucks about that drummer. You should go find him and go places WITH him.

congratulations Ruffa for moving on to round 2; sad to see george's run over. big congratulations to the dialogue going on in this match, also. these battles wouldn't be half as fun or meaningful if they didn't evoke discussion, and deeper appreciation.

"I didn't say that. I may have thought it. You may have said it. It may be true. But I didn't say that." --Jeff Winger, Community

oki doki

ed nog: it's a practicum, lyon is quite nice, but it's sooo cold atm, i'd rather come back in summer. unfortunately i haven't been in the cities you mentioned.

jeah, sorry for george being out it was a good cover !