What MT Artists and Musicians Are You Checking Out at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach, I could imagine you coming into my studio when you're a budding singer songwriter and I'm a budding producer and you'd play this demo for me and I'd say, "Brilliant, but why do you make it sound

box - Box and his Cardboard Friends

yo Zach thats really awesome that you still listen to bedroom smells! i actually finally checked out that tune you mentioned in the podcast - 'snake in the grass' and it's really great. seriously, geting chills from it --> listened a few times and got that coda in my head. pretty pumped for ya album.

So yeah - anyone who ent checked it out:

other than that - heard george's Salt Story again the other day and made me feel bit dizzy. need some new MT tunes though. seriously guys - someone needs to release an album!

gave a listen to musicks2342354235643543 new thing he worried was too much of a rip-off of some 90's song. and it is but not too badly so.

yo Zach thats really awesome that you still listen to bedroom smells! i actually finally checked out that tune you mentioned in the podcast - 'snake in the grass' and it's really great. seriously, geting chills from it --> listened a few times and got that coda in my head. pretty pumped for ya album.

other than that - heard george's Salt Story again the other day and made me feel bit dizzy. need some new MT tunes though. seriously guys - someone needs to release an album!

fSymsOGXOa3hdi9pDsNVru7t_500gif.png

listening through thomas j's myspace and caught by the track "sails" and it sounds like the opening line might be 'live from your fucking heart' which is a brilliant line, set against the mid-tempo contemplative piano intro and if that isn't it then goddamn it.

• 3 weeks later...
listening through thomas j's myspace and caught by the track "sails" and it sounds like the opening line might be 'live from your fucking heart' which is a brilliant line, set against the mid-tempo contemplative piano intro and if that isn't it then goddamn it.

"play from your fucking heart"

• 2 weeks later...

been playing salt story again and the closer is great, as well as the title track and 'ghost laughs' yeah, ghost laughs is great. I might like the second half more than the first half and a few times would think of someone else to play before I made it to the second half. the vox have really unfolded themselves to me and they're a bit infectious now.

also playing a lot of james grady. 'bedroom smells' is just so so so so great. the first track may be only a themed intro, and I wasn't too taken with the "peacebone" pastiche, but if you take the remaining three songs (and also let the other two back in, in context) they're such solid songs and gah, yeah. "please let, please let, please let her come back to me" that line and the sheer sinister mood of the song after, coupled with the 'apple' closer -- I played that song a lot when I added it to my ipod shuffle. great ep.

• 1 month later...

it's always a bit hard to bump this one because I jump from band to band so often listening to everything here. I think I got a little lazy in terms of listening straight through mt albums/eps.

but right now I've got a 12 song playlist of the first round botb submissions that I'm playing quite a bit. some good stuff!

Zach, I could imagine you coming into my studio when you're a budding singer songwriter and I'm a budding producer and you'd play this demo for me and I'd say, "Brilliant, but why do you make it sound so much like the national (but even so, your singing is already 100x better [i have an aversion to his voice])? This track needs a dance beat (is that you tapping your foot?) and it needs to sound like M83 pronto!"

Then we'd put it out as a single; some college radio stations would give it some playtime but the majors wouldn't really notice it at all. We've wasted our entire budget on promoting this single but we only make half of it back through album sales because you refuse to gig cuz you think you're john lennon and ultimately you return to your day job knowing that you were this close |--| to making it big in the recording industry.

Five years pass and you look back at your life. You're an insurance salesman and everyday for the past 365 x 5 days you've woken up with the taste in your mouth of the dream that you missed so narrowly. On the eighteen hundred and twenty fifth day since you gave up your dreams for being a professional musician you decide to sit down at a local pub for their open mic night. You have no idea why you suddenly feel compelled to do so. Was it the shitty latte that you bought that morning, like every morning, that you promised yourself you'd never buy again because it was so fucking shitty and overpriced and you had finally had enough of shitty lattes? Or was it the fact that today you spilled that latte all over you boring starched as fuck white collared work clothing? Your boss told you to take the rest of the day off because he felt bad for you and your coffee burns and cuz you smelled like a shitty latte. You went home that day and after showering you went into your closet and saw your favorite, most cool pair of jeans you owned that you hadn't actually worn for 4 years because you had no occasion to look cool since then. You've mostly just worked and visited your parents back home every couple of months. You hadn't any friends at work cuz you thought there were a bunch of boring saps working a meaningless pointless day job. Well so were you and you had just realized this. You put those motherfucking pants on and then you put your coolest motherfucking shirt on. You realized how cool you just looked and then you grabbed your old acoustic guitar just to hold it in front of your mirror and revel in your apparent coolness. Standing in front of the mirror, you starting playing your old song that you had once believed would propel you to indie stardom. You remembered the chords instantly and you knew this was because deep down inside you, you never really stopped being the musician you were meant to be. You had been playing that song in your deep subconscious for five whole years and it had gestated like a motherfucking baby in the womb. The track you had written and recorded five years ago was hardly the same song. Sure, it sounded the same but you finally felt it in your bones. The meaning was so deeply ingrained inside you that it was practically written on the inside of your skull. You decided to go to the open mic that night just to see if you still had your chops. Sitting there on the stool with about 40 indifferent patrons of the bar just barely interested in your presence, you don't even clear your voice before you play to connote the beginning of your short one song program. You just start playing. From the first note, the chatter within the bar quiets and one by one conversations throughout the bar stop and people turn their attention towards the guitarist at the mic. His song was sad yet beautiful at the same time. He won the crowd over. Within a year he was again in the studio preparing his next album which would ultimately propel him to the indie stardom that he was meant to achieve.

BTW I love the ending on your song.

been listenin to kakfa's secret sips. good lyrics here. last time through that song about climbing trees really stood out to me. i like how the words are just one long thought.

took a listen to james' bedroom smells, some cool stuff. the drums kinda turned me off though. putting doodads on my ipod for work today cause i know that one is a jam all the way through.

alright alright sorry if there's sore feelings or anything, but I'll start with a top 5 that I'll put down without much doubling checking for anyone I missed. and I'm pretty guilty of latching on to a musician here and not giving repeat listens to any albums/eps that would catch on better after some more listens.

so:

foodcourt/ faille temporaire

athalon/ If I If I

pentatonic boy/ james grady

thomas j/ thomas j

gargantuan/ thaddeus cahill

this is leaving out a shitload of bands. and the list changes frequently.

artists? uh. foppe's in the top 5 probably every given time. and vivi's art has stayed with me after reviewing it.