box

Rolling Stone names Kid A the best album of the decade

Wow I am quite shocked, and a little bit happy. I thought Rolling stone always saw radiohead as over rated. I mean number 1! a bit of contrast with the top 500 albums of all time where it was number 428, although they had only the writers voting yet.

I like most of the list, wouldn't be rolling stone without a good helping of kings of leon and norah jones but why is interpol so far down?

I guess the older the album (within the decade), the more time it has had to prove its staying power and earn more points. And Kid A is a LEGIT #1, no doubt about it. But I also see this choice as more evidence of the last decade of mainstream music just....I don't know, not being that great. Not improving on itself as a whole over the years.

Maybe a band like RH getting credit for actually putting great time and effort into an album will influence others. This decade saw the American Idol factory spewing shit, No Doubt/Gwen Stefani going back to high school instead of growing up, the Black Eyed Peas being retarded, Nickelback being Nickelback, and auto-tuning. The list of atrocities could go on. Maybe the same could be said (save for RH and a few others) post-"grunge" in the 90's, but I dunno. At least then MTV played videos and radio played good music mixed with the crappy pop music. I don't remember that happening this decade. Unless you searched for good music, you couldn't stumble across it like I did growing up in the 90s.

Going to hopefully read the actual list tonight and see if it changes my mind.

Wow I am quite shocked, and a little bit happy. I thought Rolling stone always saw radiohead as over rated. I mean number 1! a bit of contrast with the top 500 albums of all time where it was number 428, although they had only the writers voting yet.

I like most of the list, wouldn't be rolling stone without a good helping of kings of leon and norah jones but why is interpol so far down?

That list was done like two or three years after Kid A was released. I think at that point the album was still a shock to the senses of some, and it's definitely growing in stature as people continue to digest it.

My guess is that when they do an updated list, Kid A will be much higher. I also think the same would happen with OKC.

i wish i could travel back nine years and show myself something like this 'cos i did get pretty wound up by the terrible reception Kid A got upon release. then again it's not even Radiohead's best album of the noughties so whatever.

Kirk Hammett, who knew? Metalheads are known to be quite vicious with their attacks on Radiohead and they will never ever listen to them, or at least that's what they say. Oh well, Kirk just got slightly cooler in my eyes.

oh im not doubting kid a's ability to top lists - just rolling stones list in general

i really expected greens days american idiot to be the top spot or some such thing

bob dylans christmas album maybe i dunno

Thats exactly what I mean. I think if anything you guys are overestimating Rolling Stone.

Personally I was shocked not to see fucking AC/DC in the top five.

i wish i could travel back nine years and show myself something like this 'cos i did get pretty wound up by the terrible reception Kid A got upon release. then again it's not even Radiohead's best album of the noughties so whatever.

Far from terrible overall, I think some people just had the wrong expectations. It got a fairly mixed reception, some negative reviews. Not as uneasy as, say, the reception Frances the Mute or even Lateralus got upon release.

who cares what a magizine says about anything. it's just whatever brings in the fans brings in the cash. RS is a pile of pretentious bullshit, along with all the rest.

i can say Kid A is the best/worst album i'v ever heard, but nothing thatt i or anyone else says can negate from it's sound. the music will not change based on what anyone says about it, it still going to sound the same if a society of people thinks it sucks or is the best thing created.

my point is top lists are for wankers.

Well that's your opinion.