RKCZ

A different producer

Early this morning while trying to fall back asleep I thought about evolution, religion, and then about whether it is a good idea that Radiohead work with a different producer to tweak their sound. Neil Godrich has produced the last five studio albums. One of the reasons, even if it may be a slight reason, why Pablo Honey, The Bends, and Ok Computer are distinctly different than one another is they all had different producers. I just think the same pair of ears brings about the same sounds. Do you or do you not agree with, perhaps, a different producer?

RKCZ

I think that depending on how you like their current sound a new producer may or may not be a good idea. Obviously, if they switched to a different producer the tinge of Nigel would still be present, and so you'd get a new, fresh sound with a lot of the old style blended in (hard to ignore 5 albums worth of influence). At the same time, should they keep Nigel they will continue to grow and develop within this current style. Although it's a different kind of evolution, it's evolution none the less. It's clear that for the past 5 albums the band has certainly evolved. OK Computer to Kid A / Amnesiac (Don't kill me for grouping them, they are extremely similar...) was an evolution of the ambient electronic side of their music. HTTT, in my mind, is the album they made as a follow up to the Bends, with the musical ideas of OK, Kid A, Amnesiac. And this pattern continued. Taking from the previous album, changing it to suit their current interests, growing their sound. The thread is easy to follow from HTTT to IR. So I think that while yes, perhaps it would be interesting to see what a new producer would do to the band, I find myself more interested in the growth from IR, which is a growth that they need Nigel for.

Good thought, but you cannot tell me that RH hasn't evolved with Nigel. HTTT and IR sound nothing alike. So I will have to disagree. In addition, eventhough Nigel didn't produce The Bends he was an integral part. I think Thom and Jonny are the major influences on their evolution, I don't think the producer is the final say on the distinct sound an album will portray.

Early this morning while trying to fall back asleep I thought about evolution, religion, and then about whether it is a good idea that Radiohead work with a different producer to tweak their sound. Neil Godrich has produced the last five studio albums. One of the reasons, even if it may be a slight reason, why Pablo Honey, The Bends, and Ok Computer are distinctly different than one another is they all had different producers. I just think the same pair of ears brings about the same sounds. Do you or do you not agree with, perhaps, a different producer?

RKCZ

the only 2 albums that are distinctly similar are kid A and amnesiac

but for obvious reasons

i dont like pablo honey and the bends isn't terrific either

the reason i love radiohead so much is that there sound is so different to any thing else out there

nigel is a cornerstone of the band and plays a big part in everything radiohead

i cant see them get rid of him at this stage as they're so attached ...

the only reason i would see him not produce their next album is if they wern't happy with what he was doing and i dont think thats going to happen ...

....nigel is the best in the buisness

......even george martin,the father of music production, said so !!

im not seeing the connection with the bends and hail to the thief..?

i know a lot of people said it but i never understood it

I wouldn't mind seeing radiohead work with Brian Eno.

i would say this too if eno hadn't produced two pretty bad albums in the last two years: viva la vida and no line on the horizon. They both sound soooo similar production wise.

I think it would be interesting to see steve lillywite work with radiohead. He's already worked with bands like U2 and talking heads, both of which radiohead love. Also, he hasn't done anything too big lately so radiohead could be his next break through. But i doubt that they'd use anyone other than Nigel which i'm content with.

Thanks for the very respectful tone. I'm glad. I haven't contributed to a message board since high school; I'm 29 now. I thought that all forms of communication on the internet was ill mannered. But this is a Radiohead Board.

Anyway...

Timberland? Really? Hmmm, I was going to try something comical with that until someone actually mentioned him. I loved Timberlands style since Aaliyah and then his album with Magoo. I do not see Timberland with rock, though. I do not even see him with electronica acts like Bjork, but it happened (for some strange reason). Quincy Jones does not work either. Granted, Radiohead songs are indeed pop songs, as for as structure is concerned, but I still cannot seen Quincy Jones as a producer. To be fair, I will mention my desired producer. My desired producer is not a producer by the standard definition but someone who is in the music business as a creator and performer...

I would have to go with Stuart Murdoch.

RKCZ

I don't think nigel gives them their sound, they decide how they want it to sound. They tell him what they want and he sorts the good ideas from the bad.

He certainly influences the style of an album but I think if anyone is going to help radiohead evolve and change, do something different, it will be him because of the way he works.

The reality is they have been working closely with Nigel in the recording studio for quite a while this year, so it would be unlikely they'd change at this stage. There are almost certainly a number of songs 'in the can' from these sessions. And guest producer's are not really RH's style.

Jonny and (especially) Thom seem to work best with Nigel along, and he remains a given at recording sessions. Given the recent material we've seen, either from the band or in Thom's name, I can't see that there's any chance of 'sameness'. I mean, what is 'Harry Patch' close to - in their (or anybody else's) terms?

i would say this too if eno hadn't produced two pretty bad albums in the last two years: viva la vida and no line on the horizon. They both sound soooo similar production wise.

i really tried to give viva la vida a chance. its just terrible. how they won all those awards is just beyond me. the only song i can maybe get into is the title track. coldplay really needs to stop trying to rip off terrible music, and try something a little more original.

but anyway this thread, all this time i thought nigel had produced everything from the bends to IR. i think i was thinking of Stanley Donwood and the artwork. i dont think radiohead should or will get rid of Nigel. he's essentially a part of the band and they need him like they need every other member of the band