some guy

Weightlifting

for 5 months i worked out five days a week, about two hours a day. it was really fun but damn i had to eat a lot or i'd just lose weight. fixing my diet was probably the hardest part.

never really got that high but i felt great. had energy and barely felt sore. would rep at 150 (which is a little more than i weigh). that was before i moved to ashland though.

I'm putting this here because it is a sport, I hope it doesn't get moved and buried in SHR.

Anyone else here workout?I started working out around a year ago and I was 165lbs, now I workout 5 days a week and I love it. I'll post some stats and hopefully there will be some fellow MT'ers who can chat about it, lend advice, motivate etc..

6'2 195lbs

Bench - 5x5 210lbs

Squat - 5x5 200lbs ( i don't have a squat rack so I have to clean and jerk the weight over my head - hence the low lbs)

DB press -15 x 3 incline and decline - 70lbs per DB

Butterfly's - 15x3 incline and decline - 45lbs per DB

dead lift -5x1 325llbs

overhead lift 5x5 115lbs

Curls - 115 curl bar - 60lbs per hand with DB

clean and jerk - see squats

Arnold press- 55 lbs per DB

bentover rows - 65lbs per DB

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more if anyone responds. These are my weights for sets, not 1RM. I have no idea what my 1RM is because I have no spotter.

I hope someone responds to this thread

Curls are for girls.

Nah seriously. Generally when I would lift, I always wanted to stay with multi-joint movements, it just always made more sense and time wise. Only time I focus on one muscle group would be wrist flexors/extensors for grip strength. Sadly, don't have time to lift much nowadays.

Based on this limited vision of what you are doing, it seems like you are neglecting your back? If you are working out at home, and it sounds like you are, just get a chin up bar and something to tie around your waist that will hold a plate or two when you get too strong for body weight chin ups. Also remember to vary your grip, wider gets the lats better.

Curls are for girls.

Nah seriously. Generally when I would lift, I always wanted to stay with multi-joint movements, it just always made more sense and time wise. Only time I focus on one muscle group would be wrist flexors/extensors for grip strength. Sadly, don't have time to lift much nowadays.

Based on this limited vision of what you are doing, it seems like you are neglecting your back? If you are working out at home, and it sounds like you are, just get a chin up bar and something to tie around your waist that will hold a plate or two when you get too strong for body weight chin ups. Also remember to vary your grip, wider gets the lats better.

I just posted some stats to get the tread going, it wasnt a list of everything I do, just some of the "main" lifts where I could post some stats.

I do a lot of weighted pullups, pushups, dips etc...

as far as curls go, I really only throw them in once every few weeks, I tend to do most of my bicep work with weighted pullups (palms in) palms out on back or shoulder days.

started workling out and doing some weight training about a month or two ago

i'm up to benching (reps) 140. haven't tried to max out yet

take your time, no sense in trying to "max out" or find your max IMO. It doesn't really matter, unless you're just tying to sound cool at the gym. A lot of people worry about their 1RM, but its way more important what you lift in your sets.

for 5 months i worked out five days a week, about two hours a day. it was really fun but damn i had to eat a lot or i'd just lose weight. fixing my diet was probably the hardest part.

never really got that high but i felt great. had energy and barely felt sore. would rep at 150 (which is a little more than i weigh). that was before i moved to ashland though.

2 hours a day 5 days a week was probably over training your body. Not trying to sound like an ass or a know it all or anything but your body needs time to heal

Edited by paranoidandroid323

I just posted some stats to get the tread going, it wasnt a list of everything I do, just some of the "main" lifts where I could post some stats.

I do a lot of weighted pullups, pushups, dips etc...

as far as curls go, I really only throw them in once every few weeks, I tend to do most of my bicep work with weighted pullups (palms in) palms out on back or shoulder days.

take your time, no sense in trying to "max out" or find your max IMO. It doesn't really matter, unless you're just tying to sound cool at the gym. A lot of people worry about their 1RM, but its way more important what you lift in your sets.

2 hours a day 5 days a week was probably over training your body. Not trying to sound like an ass or a know it all or anything but your body needs time to heal

Just about to say, four high intensity 45 min sessions a week is probably optimum. Then you gotta eat properly. Weight training is like the builders and food is the bricks, if you're wanting to get big you're gonna be looking at doubling the amount you eat, and that food needing to be good quality stuff. I know all sorts about nutrition if anybody needs any advice.

yeah i had to eat over 3000 calories a day. i never really was sore though. my gym partner was my good friend and he's also a personal trainer, kind of how he cowed me into it. was actually pretty fun.

firstly, it's amusing to me that everyone in this thread can lift more than my body weight and then some. for most of the summer i've been exercising five days a week, 60-90 minutes but i do a variety of things. one day mostly cardio and some weights, two days of lap swimming, a day with a trainer in class doing weights, strength and circuit training, and one day of cycling. for cycling we typically will do 15-18 miles, including at least 2 or 3 decent hills, and we typically pace around 25 mph or so. sometimes i drop a swim day and add a second cycling day. i firmly believe that nothing has gotten me into better shape that cycling, however i have noticed a recent imbalance in upper/ lower body strength that i need to remedy.

the most irritating aspect is the feeling of being constantly starving and having to eat every two hours or i'd feel sick and yet still losing weight. it's honestly inconvenient. my trainer this past week keeps telling me i need to put weight back on so i've made a massive effort and regained all of two pounds for all my trouble :/

i just do chin-ups

christ! so basically everyone can do these except for me?! : /

thanks for assuaging the damage to my heavily bruised ego, fops

also on topic, last night i was with all of my gf's and we were having this long talk about how far we've all come fitness wise and how great it is to have friends to push and support you. they all gave me this big pep talk about how unnecessarily hard on myself i am and how they're going to make sure i am very well prepared for whichever triathlon i choose to enter next year. it's the open water swim that scares me and they want me to do 1/2 mile :S after two of them were attacked by dive bombing ospreys yesterday i am none too thrilled.

BAMP!

So I have had my squat rack for a month now. Since my lifts were all off ( bench as much as I could sqaut etc..) I started a basic strength program and have added 65lbs to my squat this month. I am getting close to my goal of 300lbs squat (1.5 my body weight)

I've been doing some push ups and sit-ups for some months now, apparently wrong and ineffectively. I did them pretty much every day, right before going to sleep, but actually should have done them rarer, harder and before eating. Still, I made progress, at the beginning I managed to do 4 sets of 10 reps of push ups, now I can do 4x40, same with sit-ups.

Beginning of New Year, I plan to try the commercial P90x and Insanity programs, which I pirated. P90x takes 60 days and Insanity 30, I'll do them in that order, unless they disappoint me, or I'm too weak. Anyone else have tried them?

I've been doing some push ups and sit-ups for some months now, apparently wrong and ineffectively. I did them pretty much every day, right before going to sleep, but actually should have done them rarer, harder and before eating. Still, I made progress, at the beginning I managed to do 4 sets of 10 reps of push ups, now I can do 4x40, same with sit-ups.

Beginning of New Year, I plan to try the commercial P90x and Insanity programs, which I pirated. P90x takes 60 days and Insanity 30, I'll do them in that order, unless they disappoint me, or I'm too weak. Anyone else have tried them?

I haven't tried P90x but I have it on my computer somewhere. I know some people at work who tried it for a while, then got bored and quit. Its not really my thing so I dont have much to say about it. Good luck

Went to the gym after a while on Sunday, did mostly leg stuff for a change. 6x8 on leg press with 450lb on the motherfucker (it's nothing special, the machine is built that way that much weight is needed), then 3x10 leg extensions with 100lbs on, some more stuff I can't recall now, then some abdominal exercises, and some for biceps & triceps too. Ended the workout on bicycle ergometer, keeping the pulse around 80% (160) for 10 minutes. Burned 844 calories, and felt so good after it.

It took some time to get all the equipment needed for P90x, but now I have it, started it yesterday (I did some of the workouts before too to be honest). They are hard, but seem to be worth it. Cheaper than actually joining a gym too. I have to change some of their nutritional recommendations, since I'm vegan, trying to keep the proportions of carbs/protein/fat stays the same though.

Went to the gym after a while on Sunday, did mostly leg stuff for a change. 6x8 on leg press with 450lb on the motherfucker (it's nothing special, the machine is built that way that much weight is needed), then 3x10 leg extensions with 100lbs on, some more stuff I can't recall now, then some abdominal exercises, and some for biceps & triceps too. Ended the workout on bicycle ergometer, keeping the pulse around 80% (160) for 10 minutes. Burned 844 calories, and felt so good after it.

It took some time to get all the equipment needed for P90x, but now I have it, started it yesterday (I did some of the workouts before too to be honest). They are hard, but seem to be worth it. Cheaper than actually joining a gym too. I have to change some of their nutritional recommendations, since I'm vegan, trying to keep the proportions of carbs/protein/fat stays the same though.

Good job, It takes a hell of a lot of dedication to stick to anything like this. Just make sure you have a solid sched and you stick to it no matter what.

Im not sure if p90x has a log or not but if you plan on sticking to it its a great idea to start up a log to track your progress. I find it helps a bit with motivation as well