inversed eyeball

"CUT THE KIDS IN HALF!"

I've noticed that a lot of people who hear that line think it's morbid, and go "arrr... what they be meanin' with this cutting business?!". Now, when I first heard it, I thought it was a reference to that old saying about the average American family having 2.5 children (the last one is cut in half), and how in divorces the assets often get split in half (this time, the kids are getting in split in half, maybe as in custody or visitation rights, or the grotesque visual of the parents pulling their kids apart, tugging at their arms until the kid is in two, or the kid's heart is in two, torn between the feuding parents?). Maybe it's torn family photos, the widow crying or the bitter ex-husband fuming? Of course, there is also the morbid literal interpretation. Or maybe figuratively, the kids are all divided by our culture into groups. I guess this just turned into a topic of me visualizing a lyric. What do you think, or what did you think, of the lyric?

When I first heard the song, I thought it meant cutting the kids literally in half...

now, speaking from personal experience, I believe it to mean the kids are torn in half emotionally and psychologically between the parents...almost pitted by each parent against the other.

I love the lyrics of Morning Bell :)

I've noticed that a lot of people who hear that line think it's morbid, and go "arrr... what they be meanin' with this cutting business?!". Now, when I first heard it, I thought it was a reference to that old saying about the average American family having 2.5 children (the last one is cut in half), and how in divorces the assets often get split in half (this time, the kids are getting in split in half, maybe as in custody or visitation rights, or the grotesque visual of the parents pulling their kids apart, tugging at their arms until the kid is in two, or the kid's heart is in two, torn between the feuding parents?). Maybe it's torn family photos, the widow crying or the bitter ex-husband fuming? Of course, there is also the morbid literal interpretation. Or maybe figuratively, the kids are all divided by our culture into groups. I guess this just turned into a topic of me visualizing a lyric. What do you think, or what did you think, of the lyric?

thom has said the songs not about divorce suprised nobody ever mentions it could reference solomon see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Solomon

I like the divorce angle. It fits all of the lyrics pretty well, "clothes out on the lawn with the furniture" "you can keep the furniture" "where'd you park the car" "I wanted to tell you but you never listened" etc

"Cut the kids in half" is so brutal, the imagery, but that's exactly what happens in divorce. It's more emotional and psychological, of course, but it's still terrible.

But hey, if Thom says it's not about divorce, I dunno what it is. They're great lyrics, just for the images/feelings they bring to mind.

thom has said the songs not about divorce suprised nobody ever mentions it could reference solomon see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Solomon

First thing I thought of... still do... but some of the lyrics seem literal like a murder or violent event, sometimes metaphorical.

Like the way KidA version mood differs from the funeral dirge version of Amnesiac as if its two different people viewing the same event.

"But hey, if Thom says it's not about divorce, I dunno what it is. They're great lyrics, just for the images/feelings they bring to mind."

Thom says all sorts of things... I think he might have been sarcastic or just plain fucking with people. Seems as tho he emphasizies people bringing their own feelings and meanings to the songs.

Edited by stopwhispering
just to bullshit a little more

Where did Thom say the song was not about divorce? Haven't read that interview.

Doubt it is related to the bible, Thom is clearly not a believer in Christianity.

but being raised on the west it clearly influences the way you think & you can use themes portrayed in the bible as images or ideas...think about sail to the moon & noah's ark

sup

Why don't you go and fuck yourself with your grandma's metal dildo you sick son of a bitch.

Posting pointless nonsense to up your fucking post count? Where do you get off trying to be the next Penny? Fucking dumb shit.

Go back to Coldplay.com and jack yourself off to "edgy" "poetic" "beautiful" pictures of Martin.

Crazy fuck.

sup

Why don't you go and fuck yourself with your grandma's metal dildo you sick son of a bitch.

Posting pointless nonsense to up your fucking post count? Where do you get off trying to be the next Kyriakos? Fucking dumb shit.

Go back to Coldplay.com and jack yourself off to "edgy" "poetic" "beautiful" pictures of Martin.

Crazy fuck.

Who gives a shit?

Posting pointless nonsense to up your fucking post count? Where do you get off trying to be the next Kyriakos? Fucking dumb shit.

Crazy fuck.

:lol:

I don't think we need K lurking in this thread.

Posting pointless nonsense to up your fucking post count? Where do you get off trying to be the next Penny? Fucking dumb shit.

Crazy fuck.

=)

I've always felt the song was about divorce and that the line refers to dividing up time with the kids, cutting the kids up emotionally and psychologically as others have said. It also recalls the Judgment of Solomon though, and I've always thought that too. The fact that Thom isn't Christian doesn't mean he can't use Biblical imagery. 'I am a Wicked Child', anyone? The Bible is one of the basic foundational texts of the western tradition and many of its stories are known even if one if not from a religious household, because they are references all the time in literature and art-- both of which are things Thom is into, no? If I remember correctly, those were his majors at Exeter. Reading and understanding the Bible as a historical text, the same way we read Shakespeare (which one can get so much more out of if one knows the Biblical allusions within) or the Iliad, is not the same as believing in it.

All that said, I've never interpreted it as literally cutting the kids in half, but I think the word choice is paricularly designed to evoke the brutality in such an act.

Here's a short story by Raymond Carver that clearly alludes to the Judgment of Solomon, but gives it a very different outcome. 'Morning Bell' has always reminded me of this story:

Little Things

Early that day the weather turned and the snow was melting into dirty water. Streaks of it ran down from the little shoulder-high window that faced the backyard. Cars slushed by on the street outside, where it was getting dark. But it was getting dark on the inside too.

He was in the bedroom pushing clothes into a suitcase when she came to the door.

I'm glad you're leaving! I'm glad you're leaving! she said. Do you hear?

He kept on putting his things into the suitcase.

Son of a bitch! I'm so glad you're leaving! She began to cry. You can't even look me in the face, can you?

Then she noticed the baby's picture on the bed and picked it up.

He looked at her and she wiped her eyes and stared at him before turning and going back to the living room.

Bring that back, he said.

Just get your things and get out, she said.

He did not answer. He fastened the suitcase, put on his coat, looked around the bedroom before turning off the light. Then he went out to the living room.

She stood in the doorway of the little kitchen, holding the baby.

I want the baby, he said.

Are you crazy?

No, but I want the baby. I'll get someone to come by for his things.

You're not touching this baby, she said.

The baby had begun to cry and she uncovered the blanket from around his head.

Oh, oh, she said, looking at the baby.

He moved toward her.

For God's sake! she said. She took a step back into the kitchen.

I want the baby.

Get out of here!

She turned and tried to hold the baby over in a corner behind the stove.

But he came up. He reached across the stove and tightened his hands on the baby.

Let go of him, he said.

Get away, get away! she cried.

The baby was red-faced and screaming. In the scuffle they knocked down a flowerpot that hung behind the stove.

He crowded her into the wall then, trying to break her grip. He held on to the baby and pushed with all his weight.

Let go of him, he said.

Don't, she said. You're hurting the baby, she said.

I'm not hurting the baby, he said.

The kitchen window gave no light. In the near-dark he worked on her fisted fingers with one hand and with the other hand he gripped the screaming baby up under an arm near the shoulder.

She felt her fingers being forced open. She felt the baby going from her.

No! she screamed just as her hands came loose.

She would have it, this baby. She grabbed for the baby's other arm. She caught the baby around the wrist and leaned back.

But he would not let go. He felt the baby slipping out of his hands and he pulled back very hard.

In this manner, the issue was decided.

Source

Who gives a shit?

You're right, who gives a shit! Fuck this thinking shit, it's gay. I'd put some fad internet cliche here but fuck that, I can't think of one and thinking is homoerotic. Actually, I don't even know what you said, tl;dr. Ah, there's my fad internet cliche. Fucking boss.