damm

cycling

Armstrong

Major wins

Tour de France (1999–2005), 22 stages

World Cycling Champion (1993)

Flag of the United States US National Cycling Champion (1993)

Cl

Edited by bella

my take on the contador/armstrong thing is that they clearly shouldn't be racing on the same team. they know that they're the top 2 contenders and are going to have to fight it out eventually, so it's ultimately hard for someone like contador to pretend that he doesn't really need to make up time on armstrong. it would be like jan ullrich being on the same team as lance in 2001, i.e. a disaster.

it may be bad for contador in the team (we'll see), but if astana keeps riding so unagressively, it won't matter. contador isn't in danger of getting dropped by any of the current paces. anyway, i sort of sympathize with contador. he's taking a lot of shit for this when the fact of the matter is that the person he needs to beat at the end of the day is lance. also some drama on the road is vastly preferable to this everlasting media barrage of the "inner astana turmoil."

it really seems like a two man race. i would like to see andy schleck put on some pressure, but he (and nobody else) really looks that strong, frankly.

good points, including your earlier post. and i do have some sympathy for the fact that early on armstrong spoke out riding in support of his team and so contador may have assumed that armstrong was riding as his domestique but now that armstrong changed his tune and says that he is riding to win, contador is placed in an awkward position. not least of all helped by the fact he ust have a sizable ego in order to compete in such an event.

also interesting, i've just read a comment on merckx's statement against contador's move. it was pointed out that it is just the sort of thing merckx himself would have done, as he was prone to attacking.

i've been watching schleck carefully, unfortunately that flat today didn't help.

what a week, cavendish continues to impress. i literally shed a tear the two days of his stage wins as he crossed the line. i was sure he'd get the green jersey back but now it isn't looking good. that last stage into paris should be exciting with ferrar increasingly frustrated and v determined to win that stage.

absolutely awful news about levi. he had a great run.

so now the top 4 are separated by all of 8 seconds going into the mountains. this week looks to be pretty intense.

what does everyone think of hincapie's loss of the yellow jersey by a mere 5 seconds? some blamed astana and garmin but armstrong's interview made it clear he was a friend and blamed garmin.

oh and an fyi for kemp

The Tour de France is the oldest and most prestigious of all three and also the world's most famous cycling race. The Giro d'Italia is the second more prestigious and has occasionally been as popular as the Tour (late '40s, '50s, and early '70s). While the Tour de France has long been a household sporting name around the globe, known even to those not generally interested in cycling, the other two European Grand Tours are well known in Europe but relatively unknown outside the continent, and are familiar only to cycling enthusiasts.

not my point at all. i was merely demonstrating that it isn't unusual for people outside of europe to be unaware of the other two tours and that they aren't held to be as prestigious other than in your region.

Who would've thought Wiggins could do that. Pretty sensational, he's lost loads of weight since converting to road cycling apparently.

"For the climb to the Verbier, the vertical climb is 652.5 m (8.7km x 7.5%). Therefore, Contador's climbing rate is an extra-ordinary 1,900 m per hour. I say "extra-ordinary" because this is the fastest climb in the history of the Tour de France, in terms of vertical climb rate. I have data, courtesy one of our readers (thank you Alexander) that tracks all the climbs in the last twenty years, and I can tell you that the previous record for vertical ascension rate was Bjarne Riis at 1843m on Hautacam in 1996 (and we all know what powered Riis to that summit). "

http://www.sportsscientists.com/

incredibly sad about that spectator yesterday icon17.gif

amazing finish by contador, impressive push on that climb. even tho he's on armstrong's team, i cannot bring myself to root for the guy. his happiness at his win today appeared very genuine. i nearly shed a tear when armstrong admitted he doesn't see a chance for a win at this point. but he's only in 2nd and just over a minute back. must he really give up with a week to go?

I didn't say they are as prestigious

you criticized armstrong for not competing in the other races. i'm merely providing perspective. : p

Who would've thought Wiggins could do that. Pretty sensational, he's lost loads of weight since converting to road cycling apparently.

that was a surprise, nice performance. what do you mean converting to road riding? i thought he was always a road cyclist?

also, why is no one talking about the cavendish disqualification? is this the end for him? ferrar is incredibly determined and garmin have shown themselves to be increasingly aggressive and determined.

He used to do a lot of track cycling. He won two golds at Beijing

when you have time, will you please explain why he would've lost so much weight when the two sports appear to be p similar to me?

i only thought weight only really mattered for climbing. my friends can beat me on the flatter sprints but when it comes to hills, i can fly up and pass most. is that a function of the fact that i'm the 2nd smallest rider or my bike or just that people have strengths in different areas?

Losing weight the key to my climbing in the Tour

Article with Wiggins in todays paper. Time trial will be interesting if he keeps in touch with Contador on Tues & Weds, which he should. The race should theoretically last until Saturday.

Cavendish dsq? Well they had to stop him somehow. lol. His team should have been able to appeal and it should have been overturned as he didn't actually change his line. I'm sure he's over it now & it would be great to see a British rider win next Sunday.

Losing weight the key to my climbing in the Tour

Article with Wiggins in todays paper. Time trial will be interesting if he keeps in touch with Contador on Tues & Weds, which he should. The race should theoretically last until Saturday.

Cavendish dsq? Well they had to stop him somehow. lol. His team should have been able to appeal and it should have been overturned as he didn't actually change his line. I'm sure he's over it now & it would be great to see a British rider win next Sunday.

good article, thanks. now i see. i wonder how much his stature at 6'3 helps or hinders. are the better cyclists typically shorter or does it not matter?

cavendish shoved hushovd into the barrier around a tight corner, i could see hushovd was angry and yelling at him as they crossed the line. but i was under the impression that in the past cyclists have been even more aggressive (hitting other riders) so i wasn't clear as to whether cav is being used to send a message to others from the race officials?

also if i hear one more commentator say that armstrong's performance is "not bad for his age..." ridiculous. almost demeaning. he's kept up extremely well, beating plenty of riders who have a decade on him. why the fuss about his age?

and the more i think of it, i just cannot have any feeling but negative feeling toward contador. one of his teammates could break the tdf record for oldest rider to ever win, not to mention that it's most likely his last race and yet he continually attacks against him, even at times when it clearly hasn't been necessary. : /

it was absolutely gutting to see how red rimmed armstrong's eyes were in the post-race interviews. he'd quite obv been crying.

when you have time, will you please explain why he would've lost so much weight when the two sports appear to be p similar to me?

i only thought weight only really mattered for climbing. my friends can beat me on the flatter sprints but when it comes to hills, i can fly up and pass most. is that a function of the fact that i'm the 2nd smallest rider or my bike or just that people have strengths in different areas?

Track cycling is sprinting, more muscle in sprinting is an advantage cos you can generate more power

also if i hear one more commentator say that armstrong's performance is "not bad for his age..." ridiculous. almost demeaning. he's kept up extremely well, beating plenty of riders who have a decade on him. why the fuss about his age?

and the more i think of it, i just cannot have any feeling but negative feeling toward contador. one of his teammates could break the tdf record for oldest rider to ever win, not to mention that it's most likely his last race and yet he continually attacks against him, even at times when it clearly hasn't been necessary. : /

it was absolutely gutting to see how red rimmed armstrong's eyes were in the post-race interviews. he'd quite obv been crying.

You're criticising the commentators for going on about Armstrong age but also saying Contador should let Armstrong win because he is old.

Why do you think Contador should do that anyway, he was the team leader of Astana, he didn't ask for Armstrong to join did he?

Track cycling is sprinting, more muscle in sprinting is an advantage cos you can generate more power

so then what you're telling me is that the reason my bigger friends beat me on the flats is that their bulk aids in the sprint type riding, but i pass them on the hills because i'm leaner?

You're criticising the commentators for going on about Armstrong age but also saying Contador should let Armstrong win because he is old.

Why do you think Contador should do that anyway, he was the team leader of Astana, he didn't ask for Armstrong to join did he?

maybe i want to have my cake and eat it too! : p actually, my complaint is that armstrong is riding v well and in 2nd place, and sure he'll be 38 in just over a month. if you look at the top 10 overall, the only other rider over 30 is kloden (34). yet, they constantly remark "not bad for his age" which sounds dismissive as if he isn't riding well and they need to make excuses to qualify the fact that he isn't in 1st place. it isn't necessary, almost diminishes his performance. it's not as if he is 20th. what is their point?

as for contador, even your hero merckx has remarked that his attacks on his own teammate were inappropriate and unnecessary. there is nothing to bar lance from winning, i haven't heard any mention of him riding as a domestique for contador. quite honestly, if i were riding on the team of a cycling legend who was writing the final chapter of their tdf career and i knew that this was literally his last chance to win and that he'd set the record for oldest rider ever to win the tdf in nearly 100 years, i actually would help the guy out. it's called integrity. it's still a win for the team, contador has at least another decade left in him.

contador is the fastest, so he wins the race. not very complicated ultimately

i still think he's an ass. see above ^

it's ok, this will happen to him one day. what goes around... i thought cycling was meant to be a sport of gentlemen.

so then what you're telling me is that the reason my bigger friends beat me on the flats is that their bulk aids in the sprint type riding, but i pass them on the hills because i'm leaner?

Yeh sort of

maybe i want to have my cake and eat it too! : p actually, my complaint is that armstrong is riding v well and in 2nd place, and sure he'll be 38 in just over a month. if you look at the top 10 overall, the only other rider over 30 is kloden (34). yet, they constantly remark "not bad for his age" which sounds dismissive as if he isn't riding well and they need to make excuses to qualify the fact that he isn't in 1st place. it isn't necessary, almost diminishes his performance. it's not as if he is 20th. what is their point?

as for contador, even your hero merckx has remarked that his attacks on his own teammate were inappropriate and unnecessary. there is nothing to bar lance from winning, i haven't heard any mention of him riding as a domestique for contador. quite honestly, if i were riding on the team of a cycling legend who was writing the final chapter of their tdf career and i knew that this was literally his last chance to win and that he'd set the record for oldest rider ever to win the tdf in nearly 100 years, i actually would help the guy out. it's called integrity. it's still a win for the team, contador has at least another decade left in him.

Ok Bella, you are in the tour de france and you're the best cyclist in the world. You have your team and they're very good and you're pleased with your position. You're looking forward to the tour de france because you didn't win it last year and it's the biggest competition to win. Then Lance Armstrong who has already won it 7 times decides he wants another crack, you think he won't be strong enough but you're worried your team pick him up because he's such a huge name it will affect your position and because of this you definately don't want him in your team. You then get a phone call and you find out your worst nightmare has happened, Lance Armstrong has joined your team. There loads of media speculation about who is the team leader, Lance's fans are expecting you to pull him up mountains and shit like that, it's all getting pretty irritating, the best way for you to shut these people up is to kick his ass. After all, why should you sacrifice a tour de france win for his sake? he's won it already 7 times. You didn't want him in your team, if he joined another team you'd be trying to beat him anyway so why help him now just because your team have offered him the most money to join?

I hope that little insight into Contadors mind will help you love him Bella! Viva la Espana! Lance has had his day, i'm sure he wouldn't want to win it if he wasn't the rightful winner anyway. And if a record like the oldest rider is to be broke it should be broke properly, if not why not litterally pull Eddie Merkx through the whole thing? roped to Contador, Armstrong and the rest.

I made that salad by the way, it was quite nice, didn't have any celery but substituted it for lettuce and made the curry but it was Chinese style instead of normal, still good though. Thanks for the tip.

Yeh sort of

what? wait until i get my clips tomorrow.

Ok Bella, you are in the tour de france and you're the best cyclist in the world. You have your team and they're very good and you're pleased with your position. You're looking forward to the tour de france because you didn't win it last year and it's the biggest competition to win. Then Lance Armstrong who has already won it 7 times decides he wants another crack, you think he won't be strong enough but you're worried your team pick him up because he's such a huge name it will affect your position and because of this you definately don't want him in your team. You then get a phone call and you find out your worst nightmare has happened, Lance Armstrong has joined your team. There loads of media speculation about who is the team leader, Lance's fans are expecting you to pull him up mountains and shit like that, it's all getting pretty irritating, the best way for you to shut these people up is to kick his ass. After all, why should you sacrifice a tour de france win for his sake? he's won it already 7 times. You didn't want him in your team, if he joined another team you'd be trying to beat him anyway so why help him now just because your team have offered him the most money to join?

I hope that little insight into Contadors mind will help you love him Bella! Viva la Espana! Lance has had his day, i'm sure he wouldn't want to win it if he wasn't the rightful winner anyway. And if a record like the oldest rider is to be broke it should be broke properly, if not why not litterally pull Eddie Merkx through the whole thing? roped to Contador, Armstrong and the rest.

I made that salad by the way, it was quite nice, didn't have any celery but substituted it for lettuce and made the curry but it was Chinese style instead of normal, still good though. Thanks for the tip.

lmao. ok, kemp. i don't even know where to begin! 1st of all, armstrong is receiving no salary to ride for astana. he is doing it to raise cancer awareness. you cannot deny that astana's profile is enhanced, the camera's are trained on him the majority of times, he is interviewed nearly daily, regardless of his daily standings. even a french news reporter stood and applauded him at the start of the race for bringing excitement back to the tdf.

if contador is so worried, he shouldn't have involved himself in a doping scandal last year, costing him entry into the tdf. he has a long career ahead of him, he could be gracious. the win still benefits his TEAM either way.

if you watch the progression of the race every day as i do, you'll see that contador is not a team player. he rides off on his own. liepheimer was an ally of armstrong's and former teammate, he and kloden and the others have stayed close with lance at all times. armstrong is extremely gracious in all of his interviews, i have tremendous respect for the man.

and armstrong hardly has to be pulled up the mountain, roff. did you not see him close that 30 second gap today?! he is riding very well, p incredible if you consider he's been out of training for the past few years.

finally, even if contador is the "captain" which is debatable as the astana manager said he was "leaving it open" in interviews throughout the race, it doesn't bar kloden or armstrong (or poor liephemer) from winning, recall those 4 men have been in the top 6 throughout. recall that in the past kloden rode in support of ullrich but still placed above his teammate in the tdf. in ste of your efforts, i still think contador is a selfish prick.

ps glad you liked the salad, told you so! but what do you mean chinese?