haha Chris Martin is one of the worst lyricists ever.

"tigers waiting to be tamed"

what the fuck

Anyway...first (and probably only) serious answer

The lyrics to No Surprises are probably one of the most beautifully coherent, concise and colourful set of lyrics Thom's written

They sum up that resigned feeling of hitting 30 and realising you're never going to be able to change the world, that you pretty much have to conform in many aspects of life

They're so beautifully accurate and relatable to, but with such a great self awareness and humour.

The first line "A heart that's full up like a landfill, a job that slowly kills you, bruises that won't heal"

is one that you'd struggle to beat

Other great lyrics include Fake Plastic Trees (She looks like the real thing etc, it wears me out, if I could be who you wanted) , Idioteque, Life In A Glasshouse, How To Disappear, Let Down, Karma Police, Videotape & Motion Picture Soundtrack and I have a soft spot for Myxamatosis.

what about you?

motion picture soundtrack is a simple song,lyrically. But the way Thom delivers it is astounding.

"I will see you in the next life"

the moment he sings that line it makes me feel like crying

I have a few...I think "Gagging Order" is one of my favorites.

A beautiful and haunting song about love and loss. It was on heavy rotation after my girl and I broke up a while back. Still overwhelming.

"A couple more for breakfast

a little more for tea

just to take the edge off..."

I am flooded with nostalgia.

the way Thom delivers it

This. It does count, i think. And the music that goes with it, writing lyrics down on paper don't always do them justice.

Although i was extremely disapppointed when i discovered that apparently i misheard this line :

"im standing in the hall, i'm puking on the wall."

But i don't care, it always be that in my mind.

Plus, it's a fucking alexandrine. Genius.

Joking (?) aside, he has written some terrible lyrics also, i think, like

"Grow my hair / Grow my hair I am Jim Morrison

And if the world does turn and if London burns,

I'll be standing on the beach with my guitar."

Way too tacky. And you can't talk about guitars in songs ! What are you, some Satriani walking in slow-mo in the sunset ? Yuck.

overall, i dunno. but let down probably has my favourite line...

"one day, i am gona grow wings.."

encapsulates all the hope thats in ok computer admists the bleak stuff.

i love exit music too.

This. It does count, i think. And the music that goes with it, writing lyrics down on paper don't always do them justice.

Although i was extremely disapppointed when i discovered that apparently i misheard this line :

"im standing in the hall, i'm puking on the wall."

But i don't care, it always be that in my mind.

Plus, it's a fucking alexandrine. Genius.

Joking (?) aside, he has written some terrible lyrics also, i think, like

"Grow my hair / Grow my hair I am Jim Morrison

And if the world does turn and if London burns,

I'll be standing on the beach with my guitar."

Way too tacky. And you can't talk about guitars in songs ! What are you, some Satriani walking in slow-mo in the sunset ? Yuck.

You know what line always makes me cringe..."Prozac Painkillers"...I feel like Thom is spitting in my ear every time I hear that.

But back to the "best of" lyrics...

"So knives out

Catch the mouse

Squash his head

Put him in the pot"

that part i find super scary.

Most of my favourite lines are the ones that put images in my head, like

"in pitch dark i go walking in your landscape.

broken branches trip me as i speak."

i think the video really suits the atmosphere.

The same goes for :

"i jumped in the river

black-eyed angels swimming with me

a moon full of stars and astral cars

all the figures i used to see

all my lovers were there with me

all my past and futures

and we all went to heaven in a little row boat"

great imagery and great video.

But as you probably can tell english isn't my primary language so either i'm missing the point completely, or i misinterpret stuff. Boo.

I have a few...I think "Gagging Order" is one of my favorites.

A beautiful and haunting song about love and loss. It was on heavy rotation after my girl and I broke up a while back. Still overwhelming.

"A couple more for breakfast

a little more for tea

just to take the edge off..."

I am flooded with nostalgia.

probably my favorite radiohead song right now... mainly because of the lyrics. and the simplicity

For me it definitely has to be How to dissapear completely. I think everyone can relate to feeling that they donot belong or wanting to escape and that's just what the song is about

I'm not here, This isn't happening

But I do have a funny story about No Surprises

I was eating at a restaurant with my dad and little brother and I got bored so I wrote the lyrics to No Surprises on a napkin. We left and came back the next week. Apparently our waitress read the lyrics and thought I wrote them. She showed everybody at the restaurant and brought them to her apartment and showed her roomate. The next time we saw her she wanted to speak to me personally and asked if I ever cut myself

Good Times

id say off the top of my head Let Down because, it has probably my favorite radiohead lyrics "dont get sentimental" and its just beautifully done, but ive got to mention Sail to the Moon, Pyramid Song, and a personal favorite A Reminder

For me it definitely has to be How to dissapear completely. I think everyone can relate to feeling that they donot belong or wanting to escape and that's just what the song is about

I'm not here, This isn't happening

But I do have a funny story about No Surprises

I was eating at a restaurant with my dad and little brother and I got bored so I wrote the lyrics to No Surprises on a napkin. We left and came back the next week. Apparently our waitress read the lyrics and thought I wrote them. She showed everybody at the restaurant and brought them to her apartment and showed her roomate. The next time we saw her she wanted to speak to me personally and asked if I ever cut myself

Good Times

That shit is funny...last week my students and I made a presentation about Darfur and I played the presentation on the morning announcements at school. Soon after, all these teachers/students were like, "did you write that song for the presentation? Is that you singing? It's so great, but sad." I've totally brainwashed my students into loving Radiohead. My work here is done.

Climbing up the Walls

I always thought the line "It's always best when the light is off" was "It's always best in a lion's mouth"...implying that he's safer inside the jaws of a lion..

Whatever that means...I still sing it like that even though I know the correct lyrics. Old habits, die hard.

climbing up the walls is fucking scary shit.

"so lock the kids up safe tonight

and put your eyes in the cupboard

i got the smell of a local man

who's got the loneliest feeling.."

and the chorus is creepy.

My favorite Radiohead Lyric comes from Dollars and Cents, "Be Constructive with Your Blues". I love how these words sounds so apocalyptic and powerful in front of the rush of sound the band produce in this song....so cool.

climbing up the walls is fucking scary shit.

Yeah it is.

Makes me think of the Melville film where Montand has these hallucinations *shivers*

Get up, Get the gunge

Get the eggs

Get the flan in the face

The flan in the face

The flan in the face

Dance you fucker dance you fucker

Don't you dare

Don't you dare

Don't you flan in the face

:thom:

For me, I think There There, HTDC, and Pyramid Song have always had the best lyrics.

There There: I've heard many interpretations but I have always felt it was about not thinking negatively. Regardless of all the bad shit, you have to keep on going. If you think bad things will happen, they will. Stay positive.

HTDC: It's just a breathtaking song that summed up every moment I ever felt lost and scared. It never made me feel better, but I didn't feel alone.

Pyramid Song: I just love the imagery of this song so much. And the fearlessness at the end of life, so cryptic.

Honorable Mentions: Climbing Up the Walls, Weird Fishes, and Street Spirit

I love pyramid songs lyrics. Though there there, let down, and htdc are superb.

Even in limbo too.

Most definitely In Limbo. I did a little research on the "Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea" reference. It's comes from a radio broadcast on the BBC which reports the maritime weather. Apparently, many of its listeners find it hypnotic and comforting and they often play it before bedtime.

I also like the "trap doors" reference, which was a pretty big theme in the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions.

Good pick.