--H--

The Longest Thread In Current Events

well the economist is a shit magazine so it doesn't exactly surprise me, but i guess it likes to pretend to be serious and progressive so it's weird they'd let something like that slip through

We're talking about Chomsky/Manufacturing Consent a lot in my philosophy class, and as much as I've always at least appreciated most of what he has to say it's so obvious that he doesn't like sports because some football player beat the shit out of him in high school, most likely in front of his crush

can't find the video right now but he was open in saying his hatred of the players at high school was part of it, initially anyway. if they were anything like the guys at my school then its as good a reason as any tbh. 

seriously though, i don't see how even the biggest sports fans could deny that media coverage is oversaturated. maybe it's just me being in the uk where we've had a ridiculous concentration of sporting events the past two years.

can't find the video right now but he was open in saying his hatred of the players at high school was part of it, initially anyway. if they were anything like the guys at my school then its as good a reason as any tbh.

seriously though, i don't see how even the biggest sports fans could deny that media coverage is oversaturated. maybe it's just me being in the uk where we've had a ridiculous concentration of sporting events the past two years.

Oh yeah coverage is ridiculous but that's not the premise of what I'm talking about. He insinuated that it was inherently this meaningless thing that distracts people from thinking about politics so it must be harmful. Aka "like 99% of enjoyable things on this earth but because I'm a frail nerd talking to other frail nerds maybe I can gather some smug sense of superiority out of this"

Maybe it's a good reason to not like sports but trying to code that dislike as some otherwise untapped idealogical realization is fucking dumb as shit

the culture surrounding plenty of things is a turnoff, but it's okay to like those things!  examples of myself include boxing, paintball, american football, binge drinking, and the deftones.  everything else i like has a culture that I find agreeable.

Police began their investigation last Friday after educators learned that a male student had been "bragging to other students that he was having a sexual relationship with teachers," according to a St. Charles Sheriff's Office report.

but we will always remember him for argo, not smug hypocrisy : 3

Yeah if Ben Affleck loves A-Rabs so much in Argo why were they all like "ALAH HAMA DURKA MUHAMMED JIHAD"

I dunno I mean hippocritical or not (I haven't seen Argo, nor was he the sole person working on it), I think someone saying good things to make a shithead look bad is still someone saying good things to make a shithead look bad. I don't see the benefit in getting all caught up in discrediting his argument

Yeah I dunno, while Argo could have had a more nuanced portrayal of Iran, I think it just suffered from focusing on the American POV of the story than being racist or Islamophobic, at least intentionally so.