Blissblu8

Meaning Behind Kid A.

around the time it was being made there was a lot of talk on human cloning and "kid a" is the name the clone would be given.

umm.. or something like that. imbw about that.

edit: that's right, from a review of kid a:

In a recent Web chat, Yorke claimed that the album title refers to "the first human clone -- I bet it has already happened."

the meaning is "hey hey hey hey

...smoke weed e'ryday"

I've read somewhere the there was no actual meaning behind it, and that's what Thom liked about it. The non-meaning that is.

I think that's probably accurate. To me Kid A has always taken on different meanings and at various times I've interpreted it differently. I think that's exactly what Thom was going for. In an interview on BBC radio several months ago, Thom talked about Neil Young's style of songwriting and said that he loves what Neil conveys with his lyrics because a lot of times they have no specific meaning. He mentioned one line in a Neil Young song that he loved and that meant so much to him, but when he thought about what the lyrics actually meant, they really didn't mean anything at all. They simply had meaning to him on a personal level.

Many have mentioned that Thom's lyrics are often "cryptic," but I don't think that's really the case. Cryptic implies that he's trying to obfuscate a particular or specific meaning, which he has openly stated is not his objective. In the Word magazine article posted on the front page of this message board, Thom talks about how he doesn't like his songwriting to have a specific meaning because then it is a "rant" and not "art subject to interpretation." Never has this theory been more prevalent than on the album Kid A. Thom and the band are merely portraying their art and asking the viewer/listener to interpret it as they see fit. Thus you have crazy theories like mine about the story of Kid A the first human clone, or Chuck Klosterman's theory that the album is some sort of prophetic vision of 9/11. Or, as one poster retorted to me, "maybe it's just a bunch of songs that sound really good together." Of course, it could be all those things at once depending on what meaning you've derived from the album.

The very beauty of Kid A is that it simultaneously means so many different things and nothing at all.

* All Music Guide 4/5 stars link

* Entertainment Weekly (B+) 2000

* The Guardian 2/5 stars 2000

* Melody Maker 1.5/5 stars 2000

* NME (7/10) link

* Pitchfork Media (10.0/10) link

* Q 4/5 stars November 2000, (p. 96)

* Rolling Stone 4/5 stars 2000

* The Wire (favourable)[1]

kind of interesitng seeing the ratings right after it was released.. two of them are very low, i hardly ever see ratings like that. i'm sure if those same people rated the album now it'd be a 4 or 5.

* All Music Guide 4/5 stars link

* Entertainment Weekly (B+) 2000

* The Guardian 2/5 stars 2000

* Melody Maker 1.5/5 stars 2000

* NME (7/10) link

* Pitchfork Media (10.0/10) link

* Q 4/5 stars November 2000, (p. 96)

* Rolling Stone 4/5 stars 2000

* The Wire (favourable)[1]

kind of interesitng seeing the ratings right after it was released.. two of them are very low, i hardly ever see ratings like that. i'm sure if those same people rated the album now it'd be a 4 or 5.

prob cause they're douches

prob cause they're douches

mhmm..

i bet there were a lot who heard kid a when it was released and thought it was too "weird" compared to their earlier stuff and branded it as being almost crap at the time. i know my brother thought that when he got it in 2000.

Quote:
TheDaysYouIgnore

Kid A is pretty much the sum of all our fears, packed into one 10 track record.

milkychai
and
MarkGrace

Thanks for some thoughtful answers and blissblu8 for starting the thread.

For what it's worth (and that ain't much) I think most of Thom's lyrics are more images that convey feeling or mood than story. This especially true with kidA because a lot of the vocals are just another instrument in the music and not much like traditional singing in 'pop '.

There are exceptions... HTTT has some pretty overt political meaning. How to Disappear Completely about an event and psychological dissociation etc.

Whatever... KidA their best imho.

Quote:
TheDaysYouIgnore

Kid A is pretty much the sum of all our fears, packed into one 10 track record.

milkychai
and
MarkGrace

Thanks for some thoughtful answers and blissblu8 for starting the thread.

For what it's worth (and that ain't much) I think most of Thom's lyrics are more images that convey feeling or mood than story. This especially true with kidA because a lot of the vocals are just another instrument in the music and not much like traditional singing in 'pop '.

There are exceptions... HTTT has some pretty overt political meaning. How to Disappear Completely about an event and psychological dissociation etc.

Whatever... KidA their best imho.

no problem.