kafka.

The Longest Thread in Your Art

whammys can be pretty fucked, honestly.  the only pedal i've ever actually had to replace, and even then the replacement stopped working as well

in this case though you should try a different power adapter, just make sure it's the right wattage & whatnot

i think the adapter is fine. i took it apart and it seems to be that the pin in the center of the power input (it's like a female input, but with a male component that goes inside the male component, thereby making it also female? shit's fucked) is loose. i suspect i can just screw it tighter but i'm not positive and even if i were i don't have any tool that i could use for it safely. the first gens are super fucking expensive usually so i don't relish the thought of having to replace it.

thanks guys c: i worry a lot about what im creating having too much self, but im not sure. i guess just practice being with others and earth and itll come naturally if u play w a open heart

thats very sweet cartwheels, are u reading a physical copy? ill look up a pdf

I'll pm you a pdf I have

I finished it yesterday it's not too long. We can discuss.

hey cartwheels im a little more than halfway through that, sorry i tend to fall asleep when i read more than 15 pages of a book and reading it on a phones even worse on a smelly vibrating train. its been pretty bleak so far! im probably at like, what do they call it, the climax?

Thank you for that. I really liked reading your thoughts and reactions to the story.

I reread your post from the last page, your crisis, and I thought about the keyhole metaphor he talks about towards the end. About how in your head you live in a giant room full of everything you're capable of feeling which at any point could flood your senses and what you're able to communicate is just what light pours out of a keyhole. So when presenting your art, you're giving a delicately crafted glimpse into that room. This glimpse, your song, painting, story, can't and won't be an accurate representation of yourself because it is inherently incomplete. Is art an efficient way to communicate what you want? On one hand, each medium has its own language and associations that can help convey a complex message. On the other hand making art is really hard and time consuming and a lot of people, except for maybe your friends and fellow MTers, don't have a lot of patiences when it comes to bad art. But you have to weight it against other techniques for communication. Making art does a lot of other great things for me but they're outside the scope of this.

I guess I really enjoy the keyhole metaphor because when you think about the ridiculous disparity between what's in your head and what you can communicate, maybe you can forget the crisis and see opportunity, that you have a huge well of material to draw on and that you have a lot of options of how you can portray yourself. For instance, I think the narrator's crisis with being inauthentic is the result of a conflict that he fails to realize. He desires to be portrayed a certain way but believes that because he succeeds in this portrayal, he's being inauthentic. And maybe he is inauthentic (as much as I dislike the term). I mean, it's really important to live how you feel. I can tell you do this. Like this director I love, Agnes Varda, was talking about how some movies make her want to sleep. And she'll fall asleep in the middle of a movie, wake up at the end and say she loved the movie. She loved that it made her want to sleep and that she succumbed. It appears the narrator doesn't enjoy much of what he does but those could be the result of his hangups. Like he prevents himself from enjoying his actions because he thinks he's doing them as performance to make people think he's enjoying them etc. But I don't think there's anything wrong with crafting your presentation of yourself.

yeah i'm pretty stoked. i kinda want to post the practice recordings we sent to the venue to get it just to share where we're at. have to figure out a way that's convenient to access without posting it to our actual soundcloud.

ok i think this will work, don't think these have to be downloaded to be listened to

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1xAGdePpQL1N0JPd2FHSVliSnM

i was resisting posting stuff like this before to avoid people getting bored of them before we even finish the "proper studio recordings" but we've sort of switched gears away from that so if i ever wanna share our music on here again it'll probably have to be this kind of thing.

do you sing on skinner box? sounds like you

this one's dissonant, and its more chorus-ey part a little clashy, but i like the overall ambiance a lot.

i have a hard time keeping tempo, so i try to record along with a beat, but everything i find in garageband is in 4, 8, 16, ... i'm told to just go with a metronome but i have a hard time sticking to one single beat, after a while, i derail and it doesn't even phase me, it's like the uneven tempo is engraved in me and it's all i can follow...

last night i tried to customize one of the garageband samples with some cutting and pasting, but it was hard, and i think it aggravated my situation, or maybe i'd just spent too much time on it by then.

so, shit. trying to make things easy isn't always rewarding.

really liked the last portion of the first song that didn't make the cut! the rest of both songs is really good too.

the ramsey thingy sounds very clean and has a nice vibe to it. thanks for sharing!