kafka.

The Longest Thread in Your Art

Apparently this is the law when panning. Usually I just pan whatever wherever and hope it makes sense

panning-visualization-example.jpg

Also this is apparently the general guide when EQing

mixing-imaging.png

I was trying to get a sense of how to thicken up a vocal recording, I know a lot of it is performance but I find it pretty hard to get a vocal recording that sounds powerful, where someone like Elliott Smith can whisper his way through a song and have it still sound great. Anyhoo these images come from http://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/tips-for-recording-and-mixing-vocals/

Apparently this is the law when panning. Usually I just pan whatever wherever and hope it makes sense

mixing-imaging.png

I was trying to get a sense of how to thicken up a vocal recording, I know a lot of it is performance but I find it pretty hard to get a vocal recording that sounds powerful, where someone like Elliott Smith can whisper his way through a song and have it still sound great. Anyhoo these images come from http://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/tips-for-recording-and-mixing-vocals/

What mic do you use??? Layering up and detuning, Parallel Compression, Short Reverbs / Delays / Long Reverb with more Pre delay.,  Not sure about this graph with a lot of vocals you need those lows and mids.  After HP at around 70 hz and maybe a shelf i'd cut a bit around 300 and boost a little around 100hz.

mixing-imaging.png

lol i deeefinitely don't follow this

most recordings i listen to don't either for what it's worth, but whatever floats yer boat etc.  in terms of that panning guide at least

in terms of eq, my stuff isn't that far off from that but everything is about 10-20 hz lower, comparatively

so I panicked a bit when the site was down, and ended up looking through AtEase, adding a couple posts to go with the one or two I ever made there. guys, there's an Empire Machines/Musickiks thread with fucking 80+ pages, since May 2016. some threads get ignored, or only one or two replies, and there's more kinda joke songs there. but most threads seem to have a lot more discussion than we get here, sadly. but they're pretty goddamn ruthless there, and it seems like there's a lot less interesting photographers/visual artists. like, just outright disdain for things like a sincere poem. there's a separate 'your art' forum for music called 'pimpin' ain't easy' which sets the tone well enough. 

interesting to see a parallel subforum universe, I guess.

I have written two poems the past months but I have been too self-conscious to post them here. Everytime I peek into that thread and see Hugh's stuff Im like .____.

Hugh's so good man

I vaguely remember Musickiks I think I like their stuff tho can't pinpoint which one rn hmm

I hope you do! I love poetry.

Musickiks used to post kinda Muse-y songs with lyrics that never grabbed me, like, "such a selfish bitch" but lately apparently his output has become a lot more textured and without overly dramatic lyrics. it's almost unrecognizable, and very good. he's just focused on investing in the recording process as opposed to having a high output of songwriting. even his bandmembers complain about a lack of song development, but he's working with mixers who have very high profile clients. he left here apparently because our politeness was boring :(

everytime i look at their news or music forums i think i'm glad to trade some quiet time for less trolling

I guess. it's just always a shame when an earnest work of art goes with only one or zero replies.

lol i deeefinitely don't follow this

it seems like one of those 'guides for people who don't know what they're doing to sound more like they know what they're doing' safe rule of thumb things, like what order to put your pedals in the signal path or whatever.

So I've got a song I wrote way back in like 2009 or something called I Like To Waste My Time that I never did anything with, but I was listening to Partition by Beyonce yesterday and was inspired for a new direction for it and it's come out a bit ridiculous I'm excited!

so I panicked a bit when the site was down, and ended up looking through AtEase, adding a couple posts to go with the one or two I ever made there. guys, there's an Empire Machines/Musickiks thread with fucking 80+ pages, since May 2016. some threads get ignored, or only one or two replies, and there's more kinda joke songs there. but most threads seem to have a lot more discussion than we get here, sadly. but they're pretty goddamn ruthless there, and it seems like there's a lot less interesting photographers/visual artists. like, just outright disdain for things like a sincere poem. there's a separate 'your art' forum for music called 'pimpin' ain't easy' which sets the tone well enough. 

interesting to see a parallel subforum universe, I guess.

It's my impression that they all think he's fucking insane and that thread is just like continuously marveling at how clueless he is about everything...? mixed with trying to give sincere advice about the fact that they think he's being taken advantage of by people he pays a decent amount of money to in connection with his project, and making fun of the fact that he sincerely thinks that his band is offering a specific brand of "darkish indie" or something that no one has ever heard anywhere else.... 

so like yeah maybe they are listening to his music but i wouldn't be jealous of that thread if i were you. 

All of my new songs keep ending up pretty long and I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I feel like usually I end up leaving too little breathing room in my songs but now I'm worried that they're ending up baggy or overlong >.<

my response to that feeling is usually "eh, add more stuff to justify the length", like more subtle differences between repetitions of a section and little details to chew on and try my best to make it something people don't want to end. if you're not sure how you feel about it maybe let the extra length through on a couple songs where it feels like it works the best and trim it back on the others. you'll have a better idea of how you feel about it later (if yr anything like me) anyway so if you cut shit out you may find you later feel the songs are too quick and manic. especially in a sequence. if you're planning to group them up as a batch listening experience i think letting the experiment of longer songs run its course on a couple songs is a good idea cos there'll be variety and if someone is a much bigger fan of one approach over the other then you'll keep them for at least some of the songs.

Yeah, I've generally tried to keep the rhythms and textures interesting to make something more appealing over longer stretches of time, it's just weird when you take a song that took 2 minutes to play on guitar and it ends up being 5. I always try to think in terms of albums and how songs fit together (although I still usually end up with people saying the songs dont sound like they belong in the same album fml). It usually takes a little while to work out what's missing or needs to be taken out. I've got six songs so far and I reckon this is gonna be 9 or 10 in total

It's my impression that they all think he's fucking insane and that thread is just like continuously marveling at how clueless he is about everything...? mixed with trying to give sincere advice about the fact that they think he's being taken advantage of by people he pays a decent amount of money to in connection with his project, and making fun of the fact that he sincerely thinks that his band is offering a specific brand of "darkish indie" or something that no one has ever heard anywhere else.... 

so like yeah maybe they are listening to his music but i wouldn't be jealous of that thread if i were you. 

true. kinda like, you don't want just anyone looking at your art and just sayin' any old shit.

my response to that feeling is usually "eh, add more stuff to justify the length", like more subtle differences between repetitions of a section and little details to chew on and try my best to make it something people don't want to end. if you're not sure how you feel about it maybe let the extra length through on a couple songs where it feels like it works the best and trim it back on the others. you'll have a better idea of how you feel about it later (if yr anything like me) anyway so if you cut shit out you may find you later feel the songs are too quick and manic. especially in a sequence. if you're planning to group them up as a batch listening experience i think letting the experiment of longer songs run its course on a couple songs is a good idea cos there'll be variety and if someone is a much bigger fan of one approach over the other then you'll keep them for at least some of the songs.

I definitely notice this approach in your songs. they're twisty sort of adventures.