kafka.

The Longest Thread in Your Art

Similar to my "chart your recording process" thread, this is a thread for us to discuss our current creative works, advertise for them, and generally discuss our art. Let's hope this takes off.

Let me start by plugging my new album:

Thirst73.jpg

Can I get a sticky?

Two things that have surprised me about Your Art lately: MT musicians who pop up out of the blue with some recorded material that I had no clue were musicians (Brian) and MT musicians who I had no clue were musicians but don't have their recording act down yet (Royal Orleans).

And one kinda disappointing thing is when I run into people who just don't give a shit about Your Art.

Secret Sips EP lyrics:

Calm Down and Get Out

yr mouth, it moves

I don't hear a word

you say to me

I don't know who you think you are

but you'll never get to me, my girl

I don't know want to know you anymore

Maybe

I can't tell you what's on my mind

we never have enough time

and I can't tell you how I feel

it's too hard, and it's too real

so let's keep pretending this could be never-ending

and maybe, you could be my baby

cause baby I'm so crazy, crazy for you

and who in their right mind

would think love is something that you find

like a lost cat in yr neighborhood

it's a lie and I think we should

keep pretending this could be never-ending

and maybe, you could be my baby

cause baby I'm so crazy, crazy for you

because we rattle and shake

we bend and we break

Home

Lazy afternoons in yr backyard

Climbing all yr trees

We said when we got older

we'd climb the highest ones

and 10 years later, we're 10 years older

now those trees are gone

and there's someone else

living in yr house

without a deed, what are you going to do

are you going to burn down

or give up

You Are In This Room

I hear your voice at night

When I'm trying to put the day away

It says always, "let me out."

It was one fateful night

December 1999

You flipped the car over a bridge

Now yr stuck in these walls

I wish I could let you go

These nights they move so slow

I swear I'll tear these walls down

Sartre (LATFS)

Don't lie to me, don't even start

because you know what you've done wrong

I want to see roses at your grave

because you never had to lie to yourself

like you feel you have to now

and it's all gone to hell

because the rich sold out everyone

and we know what what they've done wrong

and we know what we've done wrong

so don't lie to me, don't even start

because you know what you've done wrong

Good Morning, Sunshine

You wake me

and the light from the afternoon sun

burns me and I hate everyone

Cause there's no place that

could as bad as here

There's no curse

that could make this any worse

and i guess it's luck lost

in our genes

there's nothing out there

that we don't need

cause baby,

when it comes down to disease

there's nothing that they've found

that we don't have

and I can't help it

so you won't help me

and they won't let us go

and they won't let us die

For Jane

It's a strange thing

to have one mouth

and just one brain

and just one thought

and not say what you mean

and not know what to say

I've never been here before

and you are someone new

and I wrote this song for you

but it's not the song

you've thinking of

these aren't the words

you think I wrote

I'm not the man you think I am

are you ready?

I think I'm ready

to go anywhere at all

to be anyone at all

does it matter what you call yr matter?

Is there anyone who wishes they could trade in their artistic ability for a different creative field? I know Mutsy wishes she could be a musician. Personally, I'm very very satisfied with music.

And apparently you all liked my shitty drawings of your sn's. Speaking of which, I drew Rhythm and Blues and Mutsy in class on wednesday. I'll get 'em posted by tomorrow definitely.

Edited by kafkadoodledoo

i wish your art was more popular.

i wish my new album thread had more replies, the big collapse has it beat by almost three times as many replies.

i wish more people would post in kafka's new album thread coz it's immense.

TJ i have your album downloaded and i started listening to it last week. i'm home sick today so i'll be sure to let you know what i think. same goes for you kafka.

and it's sad how little attention your art gets. easily my favorite forum behind gen chat.

Nah, I think this forum deserves its place and I think it gets just barely enough attention, but I would love some miracle to bring in more regular Mortigans.

I'm thinking of doing an album of covers, but all I came up with last night when I tried to go through my catalogue of cover songs I can play was:

Neutral Milk Hotel - Communist Daughter

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (I could do about 10 Radiohead covers, but I'll leave it to just one if I actually do this)

Green Day - Good Riddance (Oh god would this ever be cliche)

Okay - Oh (local band)

And thinking about it now, all I can come up with is:

Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman

Ones I'd like to learn:

Any Dinosaur Jr song but mainly Feel the Pain, Tarpit and I Got Lost

Wow, that's really all I can think of at the moment. Writing this at school so I don't have my library with me.

I have an idea to do only sad songs and loves and call it Liquid Lunch - Sad Songs and Love Songs (The Covers Album)

Is there anyone who wishes they could trade in their artistic ability for a different creative field? I know Mutsy wishes she could be a musician. Personally, I'm very very satisfied with music.

And apparently you all liked my shitty drawings of your sn's. Speaking of which, I drew Rhythm and Blues and Mutsy in class on wednesday. I'll get 'em posted by tomorrow definitely.

I have been telling my girlfriend that even though I am fairly athletically gifted, I would hope that our kids are musicians and not as much athletes. I have always dreamed that I could play an instrument but I simply am musically challenged. I figure you can play an instrument and enjoy that for a longer period of your life than be athletic. So yes, I wish I were less athletic and more musical. I have owned a guitar since I was 14 and have taken lessons, practiced, practiced, and practiced. I get so frustrated and give up. I play the bongos only because I can keep a beat and am creative.

Any Dinosaur Jr song but mainly Feel the Pain,

I can picture this now. I'd take the tempo way down, play it acoustic and give it a really intimate feel.

I have been telling my girlfriend that even though I am fairly athletically gifted, I would hope that our kids are musicians and not as much athletes. I have always dreamed that I could play an instrument but I simply am musically challenged. I figure you can play an instrument and enjoy that for a longer period of your life than be athletic. So yes, I wish I were less athletic and more musical. I have owned a guitar since I was 14 and have taken lessons, practiced, practiced, and practiced. I get so frustrated and give up. I play the bongos only because I can keep a beat and am creative.

score one for the musicians! But I'm sorry you had to give up guitar, that's a shame.

glad to see this thread. we'll see how well it takes off and then think about a sticky.

was thinking the other day that its really not so surprising that so many people here have such defined artistic strengths - mt is, foremost, a music-based board, it would draw more creative minded people, i think. that said, it is always surprising to me when people treat the your art forum with such disdain. but i think its coming around, gaining in dedicated readers/posters.

Hey, man.

So what direction do you want this thread to go in? Or what niche do you see it filling?

There are seperate threads for various "disciplines" like photography, sketching, and recording, already, for example, that I think should be stickied. (How bad was that grammar?... yikes.)

Do you want this to be kind of an artistic commons just to chat with fellow artists from different disciplines? To kind of break those barriers between different groups?

I'm not at all trying to be negative toward this. Just hoping to clarify and expound on the goals of the thread.

And you're right, I just started looking around in Your Art, and it's a treasure trove. The photography thread is loaded with impressive stuff, the visual artists on this board are amazing, and I haven't even explored the musicians. It seems like everyone here has heaps of talent. And the attitude on the board is so much more positive and encouraging than General Chat. (understatement, there)

Anyway, I say carry on. It'll hopefully be a nice way to meet some of these impressive artists.

oh, i just wanted to mention too that i'd received a pm from a new user not too long ago, bemoaning the fact that we don't have too much going on with regards to poetry here. i had to tell him that the good poets we have here don't seem to have much time or inclination to post their work lately. hope that can improve.

I play the bongos only because I can keep a beat and am creative.

Hey, man, bongos are underrated. You get a hard, funky rock song, and bongos kick in, and I tend to go crazy.

And besides, they're fun to play.

TITO PUENTE! played simple percussion instruments. And he kicked legendary ass.

And yes, the proper way to write his name is TITO PUENTE!

And even in conversation about TITO PUENTE! you must shout "TITO PUENTE!" when his name comes up. (I just decided this.)

oh, i just wanted to mention too that i'd received a pm from a new user not too long ago, bemoaning the fact that we don't have too much going on with regards to poetry here. i had to tell him that the good poets we have here don't seem to have much time or inclination to post their work lately. hope that can improve.

Hmmm...

I'm now going to search for or start a Haiku thread.

I have all these anxiety and obsessive thought issues, but when I'm trying to put together a haiku, it's like a very calming puzzle. Though they're much more satisfying to write than to read. Oh well.

Well, I found a long-dead, short-lived Haiku thread here:

http://www.mortigitempo.com/too_bored/showthread.php?t=59973&highlight=Haiku

Shall I revive it, Chroma, or shall I start a new one with a bit of Haiku explanation and such at the beginning?

up to you. i like to revive old threads and add to them. you get both a nostalgia boost plus get to see what all the new kids have to say/offer.

another reason for the lack of poetry may be that it is spelled "peotry" so ppl can't find it if they search

but, sentimental value, etc

yeah, but the poetry people know its called that.

biggest problem with poetry here is that there is a very limited group of people who are willing to actually post it, and they seem to be too busy for it lately, or just not so interested.

new people that want to post poetry just come in a post it, making their own thread or whatever. eventually someone tells them about the peotry thread. but for whatever reason, poetry just has not grown here much.

All this talk about sketches, personal music, photos, etc. is making me depressed. I did Improvisational acting for 7 or so years but have found nothing else that is artistic that I can do. I really would trade some athletic ability for some artistic ability. I am even sub-par at drawing stick people, haha.