Sign in to follow this  
con

IR #1 in the US!!

yeah... just...

comparitively.. this album isnt doing as well. despite the internet sales.

ummmm...who gives...as long as they are still on top and making good music, to me, this is great!!!!

plus HTTT really wasn't that great, so this album might be lower on the charts, but it's better!!!:thumbsup:

plus, CD sales have been down for years...

without knowing the internet figures it's impossible to really know how In Rainbows has done in comparison to past albums, but i strongly suspect that a) it's been more widely heard than previous albums were in their first three months and B) the band aren't noticing a relative shortfall in income.

they've been lucky to secure a transatlantic number one though. considering the release method this is, on the surface, even more impressive than when Kid A achieved this, but it so easily could have looked underwhelming or bad with just slightly lower figures... and certainly would have in a more normal week for the charts generally.

considering they were giving the album away for a couple months, it's cool to see them at number one. it would have been interesting to see how it would have done if they hadn't given it away, and i wish they would release download figures, but at any rate it debuted higher than The Eraser, and with better sales

tough to compare releases but think about it, 122,000 units of IR sold compared to HTTT's 300,000 units during the same time period. you can never, ever expect to sell anything to anyone if you, at first, give it away for free. we're talking an 'entire thing'--not a snippet, not a taste-test--the whole, real thing. it's a horrible business model. i think ATO/TBD must be thrilled with that. need big ones to take that risk...

tough to compare releases but think about it, 122,000 units of IR sold compared to HTTT's 300,000 units during the same time period. you can never, ever expect to sell anything to anyone if you, at first, give it away for free. we're talking an 'entire thing'--not a snippet, not a taste-test--the whole, real thing. it's a horrible business model. i think ATO/TBD must be thrilled with that. need big ones to take that risk...

They sold enough copies to rank #1 on the charts three months after the online release, and who knows how much money was made between downloads and box sets in the meantime. I don't see where the business model fails, except maybe in making money for the label. For the band it presumably has worked out great.

They sold enough copies to rank #1 on the charts three months after the online release, and who knows how much money was made between downloads and box sets in the meantime. I don't see where the business model fails, except maybe in making money for the label. For the band it presumably has worked out great.

totally agree with u.

that's my point. it's a horrible business but it worked. it's absolutely brilliant that it did. in theory it shouldn't work that well, and it probably wouldn't for any other artist(s).

considering they were giving the album away for a couple months, it's cool to see them at number one. it would have been interesting to see how it would have done if they hadn't given it away, and i wish they would release download figures, but at any rate it debuted higher than The Eraser, and with better sales

Excellent point.:thumbsup:

A BIG CONGRATS TO RADIOHEAD!!!