tybalt

A Rainbow spectrum of mediocrity

Hello, obsessive Radiohead fans (is there any other kind?)

You may remember my past contributions to alternative musical analyses, in my previous posts and the thread "Radiohead and the celebration of mediocrity"

It's been a while, but I do produce content at a much faster rate than everyone's favorite overgrown college-boy quintet, don't I?

In any case, the long period of dormancy seemed to suggest that the band didn't quite know what the hell to do with themselves anymore, except that this time they really didn't know, as opposed to the blathering "writing difficulties" one constantly would in interviews surrounding the release of their past albums.

For this time, even Radiohead were painfully aware that they couldn't repeat themselves. Their petty, pseudopostmodernist attempts to regain the millenial intoxication of OK Computer (An overrated behemoth that happened to come out at a time when "technology", "computers" "y2k" and "karma" dominated the collective mindset, especially in Newsweek cover features) were beginning to fall short. Most bands would find it audacious to try and stretch an album into 2. Radiohead stretched the same concept into 3 albums, mildy updating Hail to the Thief because one simply cannot put out a cynical condemnation of the corporate state without addressing Bush.

So what did Radiohead do? Let us explore their attempt to escape the spiral of mediocrity.

The album opens with "15 Step", a title typical of Yorke's laziness in songwriting. What is it supposed to convey? He even croons the title, which seems to be a blatant placeholder lyric. What better title for a song? The opening drum beats sound like a ReDrum loop, made by a hack stoned out of his mind with a pirated copy of Reason. Of course when Radiohead does this, it's branded "lo fi energetic" or some such saccharine shit.

One must also note the incredibly lazy (even for Radiohead) use of track transition- the last few seconds of the track introduce a vague fuzz which starts us off on

Bodysnatchers. See what I did there? Transitions! Wow!

An inordinate amount of fuzz (that would make U2 in the 80's blush) opens this track. The rythym section of Greenwood the elder and the bald guy almost seem to have a smirk on their face, when they complement Yorke's noodly riff with the most generic drum and bass imaginable. It doesn't really change throughout the song. Guitarists weed guy and creepy guy (Greenwood the younger, unless he was the weed guy and I'm not confusing whatshisface with someone else) pick at their muted strings as though they invented the trick and are proud of it. They then follow up with a pseudo-raga that would make Ravi Shankar want to sue, if he hadn't built his international dividends by working with bands like this. With nowhere to go, the track collapses in on itself with a predictable burst of NOISE NOISE NOISE SCREAM

Nude

A supposed "reworking" of an old track. They sample another bassline, make Yorke sing the harmony part of the chorus as a coda. A good 10 years' work.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Let me ask all you champions of mediocrity- if this is so meaningful and brilliant, what do EITHER of those titles actually mean? I should write a song called HAMMER ON/PULL OFF.

Radiohead again attempts to feign brilliance by trying to pretend they could compose songs like Steve Reich. Here's a tip, try it for more than 2 out of 4 minutes and you might get somewhere.

All I Need

A sample of the first track from Sigur Ros' equally mediocre ( ) forms the basis of this more verbose re-tread of Creep. Closeted creep fans all shed the shame, because this has indie-cred.

Faust ARP

Probably originally titled Faust ARPEGGI, until they realized just how ridiculous and pretentious it would sound. Nothing much to say about this track, which was obviously written as filler, just like Pulk/Pull, Fitter Happier, Treefingers, The Gloaming and Myxomatosis.

Reckoner

Supposedly the "golden nugget center" of the album. No other track encapsulates Radiohead's mediocrity more- a sickly, unskilled imitation of John Frusciante; 12 different harmonizing falsetto voice tracks trying to disguise a boring vocal melody; and of course for the grand finale, a fucking major chord played by a string section.

With absolutely no other variation than to play the same chord in minor. Fucking genius!

House of Cards

Actually the best song on the album, simply because it's the one song where they aren't afraid to be utterly and completely unremarkable and boring.

Jigsaw Falling into Place

They really need to learn how to mix acoustic guitar.

Videotape

Ignoring the studio wankery (Who the hell spends that much expensive studio time on a repetitive grade II piano loop?) One must ask: what exactly is going to be on his videotape? Oh that's right, nothing in particular.

Pretty much sums up "I_N RA/INB0W//S" doesn't it?

So, you go on a Radiohead forum and slate their latest album in a smug, know-it-all manner, while subtly dismissing their earlier work as rubbish, in a blatant attempt to enrage rabid fanboys.

I see what you did there.

?

This stings because I actually quite enjoy In Rainbows, then this guy comes along and starts abusing an album that I like. See? The result is hurt and pain.

Please leave us alone, please stop being unpleasant about music we like because it's hurtful.

They sample another bassline,

[...]

if this is so meaningful and brilliant, what do EITHER of those titles actually mean? I should write a song called HAMMER ON/PULL OFF.

[..]

this more verbose re-tread of Creep.

[...]

was obviously written as filler, just like Pulk/Pull, Fitter Happier, Treefingers, The Gloaming and Myxomatosis.

[...]

and of course for the grand finale, a fucking major chord played by a string section.

[...]

They really need to learn how to mix acoustic guitar.

[...]

what exactly is going to be on his videotape?

:lol:

Please... post more!!!

well, I guess you got us there. Thanks for enlightening us! :bye:

All I Need

A sample of the first track from Sigur Ros' equally mediocre ( ) forms the basis of this more verbose re-tread of Creep. Closeted creep fans all shed the shame, because this has indie-cred.

quoted just to ask how this makes any sense?

well, I guess you got us there. Thanks for enlightening us! :bye:

quoted just to ask how this makes any sense?

how does it not? the lyrics are "you're all i need, you're all i need. i'm in the middle of your picture, but i'm a creep and a weirdo'

the fact that he'd know to call ed 'weed guy' suggests he spends an awful lot of time researching/listening to a band he finds so desperately 'mediocre'. i'd hate to actually have to listen to a fall out boy album, much less take the time to write such a long-winded essay.... must be some sorta massochist.

you need to learn words that aren't 'mediocrity'. hearing that word over and over again is about as interesting as someone telling me that a tomato is actually a fruit.