Videotape has the best closing ever

I always thought the drums were like a heartbeat too, glad I'm not the only one.

I also like how there are no more vocals after the lyrics (a la From the Basement recording) so it's like the videotape ended and it went to static, and all the person watching it is left with is the whirring of the tape coupled with their own heartbeat. Brilliant arrangement.

I think that, creatively, the studio recording of Videotape is far more powerful than the live one.

If you really think about it, In Rainbows has a good handful of "guitar-laden climaxes," like the ones they were playing for Videotape toward the later half of their last tour. Arpeggi and All I Need are ones that sound the closest to that sort of sound that Videotape has, I think, and if they were to throw another one of those on the album, I don't think it would be as effective.

This version of Videotape is raw, it's simpler yet has nice subtleties and rhythmic changes, the singing is very soft and without any effects, the drums spin out of control just like Thom is singing about. It's beautiful.

Not that what they were playing at the end of Videotape during the tour wasn't beautiful, because it certainly was...it was usually different every show they played, so you could tell that there was a lot of creativity going on, improvisation, not just the repetitious performing of a song.

But this one is just...chilling and beautiful. I love it.

I think that, creatively, the studio recording of Videotape is far more powerful than the live one.

If you really think about it, In Rainbows has a good handful of "guitar-laden climaxes," like the ones they were playing for Videotape toward the later half of their last tour. Arpeggi and All I Need are ones that sound the closest to that sort of sound that Videotape has, I think, and if they were to throw another one of those on the album, I don't think it would be as effective.

This version of Videotape is raw, it's simpler yet has nice subtleties and rhythmic changes, the singing is very soft and without any effects, the drums spin out of control just like Thom is singing about. It's beautiful.

Not that what they were playing at the end of Videotape during the tour wasn't beautiful, because it certainly was...it was usually different every show they played, so you could tell that there was a lot of creativity going on, improvisation, not just the repetitious performing of a song.

But this one is just...chilling and beautiful. I love it.

I love how thom cuts himself off when he sings...

...because i can't do it face to face,

I'm talking to you before-(its too late)-

No matter what happens now,

you shouldn't be afraid

because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.

i think that the fact that he cuts himself off signifies the importance of getting those last lines in

wow that's such a beautiful way of looking at it. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:dancingthom:

The music is like the monitor at a hospital or something..like the tone of the music goes with the tone of thoms voice...near the end of the song you notice the drums are almost gone when thom says "no matter what happens now, today..." which indicates his death and onward movement to the pearly gates...Once I understood this meaning it made me love the ending far more than any great climax would have ..theres already an all i need on the album

Yes, I got the same thing from it. I also like the way the album is framed by beats (starting with 15 Step's energetic drumming, and ending with Videotape's life-support rhythms).

In fact death's one of the themes on this album it seems, what with Thom singing about being eaten by worms and weird fishes.

Hmmm. Seems the general concensus has suddenly swung in favour of the studio version. Strange. I've made my peace with it now, but I still can't bring myself to like it more than the live one. The whole meaning of the song has changed for me now. The lyrics, although exactly the same, seem depressing rather than lifting, 'most perfect day' ever or not.

I'm not even convinced that this is what the album needed. Sure it works in its own way, but it would've closed one of the other albums better I think. In Rainbows has a kind of dreamy, airiness about it which the live version captured, but the studio one seems to bring us back down to earth quite suddenly...

Guest Thomas J

i don't think videotape ever had a real climax, it always built up to nothing and that's always bothered me. i'm glad it doesn't build up as much as the live versions did.

i've warmed to the studio version, even though i love the live version... i think that the live and the studio are two different songs. thats why i'd like to hear another version of videotape, like morning bell.. sort of. but hey, cant have everything.

also, am i the only one who when the drum machine gets going, thinks it sounds like a train along the tracks? listen to it again and maybe you'll hear it. or maybe im just talking bullshit.

i've never had the urge to skip a Radiohead track before (well, unless it's something like Faithless The Wonder Boy), but this is the first time that i believe a piece it too depressing

What kind of human being skips Faithless the Wonder Boy? The nerve of some people!

i've warmed to the studio version, even though i love the live version... i think that the live and the studio are two different songs. thats why i'd like to hear another version of videotape, like morning bell.. sort of. but hey, cant have everything.

also, am i the only one who when the drum machine gets going, thinks it sounds like a train along the tracks? listen to it again and maybe you'll hear it. or maybe im just talking bullshit.

I have heard a car going up a rollercoaster track, the chug-chug; the thought of a heartbeat never crossed my mind until i read it and now i'm leaning towards that. also: it sounds something like a photocopier making copies over and over

as someone said earlier, this song will probably go down in history as one of their finest moments - highly emotional even by radiohead's standards.

the ending unwinds beautifully with the left hand playing those slightly ominous but ultimately comforting notes from about 3 minutes in, and the piano eventually giving way to the organic sounds of what seems to be a tape machine bringing the album to a wonderful close.

as a matter of fact the ending in videotape (those hearty beats) is very, i mean VERY similar to the beat line in "Gyroscope" from Geogaddi album by Boards of Canada. check it out :smoke_coo

We all know Radiohead are just a bunch of plagiarists, and we accept it. Pointing out all the similarities to other songs just makes Thom sad, so we keep our mouths shut. Try it sometime.

We all know Radiohead are just a bunch of plagiarists, and we accept it. Pointing out all the similarities to other songs just makes Thom sad, so we keep our mouths shut. Try it sometime.

i've never ever meant to call such great artists as Thom and guys plagiarists. They are extraordinarily creative people, and i endlessly respect them for what they are doing. the reason for that post was just to tell people who liked the Videotape ending that there's similar beat line in other song, so they could go and listen and enjoy maybe. i'm really sorry if i hurt anybody.

i've never ever meant to call such great artists as Thom and guys plagiarists. They are extraordinarily creative people, and i endlessly respect them for what they are doing. the reason for that post was just to tell people who liked the Videotape ending that there's similar beat line in other song, so they could go and listen and enjoy maybe. i'm really sorry if i hurt anybody.

I know, I was just messing with you.