Sign in to follow this  
Airbagtelex

The meaning of OKC,anyone want to try it?

Radiohead have categorically said thaat OK Computer is not a concept album - it doesn't have a storyline. It does, however, have a recurring themeof society's valuesbeing all the wrong way up, and also one of ambivalence towards technology.

Airbag - this song is about how Thom's scared of cars. There's a quote somewhere, but I don't know where to find it. He says we can never really control them, we just kind of...drift...Anyway. Someone sruvives a car crash, and it's like they've been given a second chance at life.

Paranoid Android - Radiohead have said that this doesn't really mean anything much, it's just words they like. It's impossible to deny, though, that this song has a feeling of paranoia. It speaks to me (personally) of...meh. It's hard to explain in words. It's to do with everyone's detachment in society. The title is a quote from H2G2, but it's also again to do with a distrust of techonology.

Subterranean Homesick Alien - First time I heard this song I was reminded of H2G2, and Ford Prefect's situation, marooned on earth. Someone feels like an outsider in the world, like an alien on the planet. Again, detachment from society.

Exit Music - Two lovers who the world doesn't have time for. There's no place for them in modern life.

Let Down - Disapppointed by life in general, particularly technology. It takes away vitality.

Karma Police - It seems to me to be about how people are rejected for being different and not going with the flow.

Fitter Happier - The things we aim for in life aren't really worth anything. In the end we'll just all be "a pig in a cage on antibiotics". Everything bad is kept away from us. we never feel suffering, but we never really live.

Electioneering - Primarily about politics, but moregenerally, just social climbing.

Climbing Up The Walls - This confuses me. Not quite sure how it fits into the context. Could be an idea about people outside the system. Although we fear them, there's also an idea of pity there.

No Surprises - A last stand against the world. A final fit before death, or retirement, or old age or whatever you want.

Lucky - Similar to Airbag, actually. You survive a plane crash. You're in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by carnage, and it's the best day of your life. You celebrate.

The Tourist - Inspired from when Jonny was in a really beautiful square somewhere in France, and all these tourists were rushing around trying to see everything in 10 minutes. People don't appreciate beauty anymore in the world.

I've heard a theory that each song represents someone in society, and their different views on the world. I'll have a go:

Airbag - Not sure, really. The driver? Possibly an ordinary worker reforms after his car crash and realises he's been wasting his life.

Paranoid Android - Whoever's at the top. The Man.

Subterannean Homesick Alien - The stranger.

Exit Music - The lovers.

Let Down - The ordinary worker.

Karma Police - The enforcers. A bit like Pink Floyd's Dogs

Fitter Happier - The comfortably-off middle ager.

Electioneering - The social climber, the politician, the yuppy.

Climbing Up The Walls - The outcast.

Lucky - The survivor. Seems similar to the charachter from Airbag, only on a larger scale.

The Tourist - The title says it.

Radiohead have categorically said thaat OK Computer is not a concept album - it doesn't have a storyline. It does' date=' however, have a recurring themeof society's valuesbeing all the wrong way up, and also one of ambivalence towards technology.

Airbag - this song is about how Thom's scared of cars. There's a quote somewhere, but I don't know where to find it. He says we can never really control them, we just kind of...drift...Anyway. Someone sruvives a car crash, and it's like they've been given a second chance at life.

Paranoid Android - Radiohead have said that this doesn't really mean anything much, it's just words they like. It's impossible to deny, though, that this song has a feeling of paranoia. It speaks to me (personally) of...meh. It's hard to explain in words. It's to do with everyone's detachment in society. The title is a quote from H2G2, but it's also again to do with a distrust of techonology.

Subterranean Homesick Alien - First time I heard this song I was reminded of H2G2, and Ford Prefect's situation, marooned on earth. Someone feels like an outsider in the world, like an alien on the planet. Again, detachment from society.

Exit Music - Two lovers who the world doesn't have time for. There's no place for them in modern life.

Let Down - Disapppointed by life in general, particularly technology. It takes away vitality.

Karma Police - It seems to me to be about how people are rejected for being different and not going with the flow.

Fitter Happier - The things we aim for in life aren't really worth anything. In the end we'll just all be "a pig in a cage on antibiotics". Everything bad is kept away from us. we never feel suffering, but we never really [i']live[/i].

Electioneering - Primarily about politics, but moregenerally, just social climbing.

Climbing Up The Walls - This confuses me. Not quite sure how it fits into the context. Could be an idea about people outside the system. Although we fear them, there's also an idea of pity there.

No Surprises - A last stand against the world. A final fit before death, or retirement, or old age or whatever you want.

Lucky - Similar to Airbag, actually. You survive a plane crash. You're in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by carnage, and it's the best day of your life. You celebrate.

The Tourist - Inspired from when Jonny was in a really beautiful square somewhere in France, and all these tourists were rushing around trying to see everything in 10 minutes. People don't appreciate beauty anymore in the world.

I've heard a theory that each song represents someone in society, and their different views on the world. I'll have a go:

Airbag - Not sure, really. The driver? Possibly an ordinary worker reforms after his car crash and realises he's been wasting his life.

Paranoid Android - Whoever's at the top. The Man.

Subterannean Homesick Alien - The stranger.

Exit Music - The lovers.

Let Down - The ordinary worker.

Karma Police - The enforcers. A bit like Pink Floyd's Dogs

Fitter Happier - The comfortably-off middle ager.

Electioneering - The social climber, the politician, the yuppy.

Climbing Up The Walls - The outcast.

Lucky - The survivor. Seems similar to the charachter from Airbag, only on a larger scale.

The Tourist - The title says it.

dude. recurring theme = concept

Concept album is a very loose word. It can just mean an album with a recurring theme in it's broadest sense, or it can mean specifically an album with a storyline. I would say for an album to be a concept album it has to stick to a definate theme and explore different facets of it, having its very own definate message. OK Computer doesn't really do that. All its saying is that Radiohead don't like the way people don't live for real things anymore, mainly about increasing materialism. That idea is present in nearly all songs, but it's certainly not as definate and cohesive as something like The Wall.

When I was saying the different people each song could represent, I was just exploring that particular theory. I don't think I actually subscribe to it myself.

Concept album is a very loose word. It can just mean an album with a recurring theme in it's broadest sense' date=' or it can mean specifically an album with a storyline. I would say for an album to be a concept album it has to stick to a definate theme and explore different facets of it, having its very own definate message. OK Computer doesn't really do that. All its saying is that Radiohead don't like the way people don't live for real things anymore, mainly about increasing materialism. That idea is present in nearly all songs, but it's certainly not as definate and cohesive as something like The Wall.

When I was saying the different people each song could represent, I was just exploring that particular theory. I don't think I actually subscribe to it myself.[/quote']

emu.bmp

Story I conceived. Future society. Bland, lots of plastic white architecture. Retrofuturistic conservative world after the rebuilding after the apocolypse. Everybody lives inside a supermetropolis, where the aging process is stopped completely.

Just a little sketch of an idea.

Airbag: Pregnant wife and husband in car. Car crashes. Wife lives, gives birth to Sean.

Paranoid Android: Sean is growing up, feels opressed by teachers, parents, so on. Actively seeks ways to express his deeper emotions and creativity. These attempts are squelched.

Subterranean Homesick Alien: Sean feels badly towards most everything. Spends time when not at school wandering around watching his feet for cracks in the pavement and staring in neighbour's windows, who actively watch television. Sean's mother marries a drunken alcoholic factory worker.

BREAK: Sean meets, and falls in love with, Adrian. Adrian stays over one night and Sean's parents walk in on them kissing. Outraged, Sean's father beats him and Adrian both and then seals the door and passes out.

Exit Music (For A Film): Sean and Adrian escape through the window, using tied-together clothes to slip down the three story apartment building. They take refuge in an abandoned subway station and cling to eachother for warmth and support. Sean's father awakens after they have escaped and find them gone. He realises it would be a fruitless effort to find them in the supermetropolis.

Let Down: Sean and Adrian barely scuff by in the real world, in a dingy apartment, observing life around them, feeling increasingly depressed about society in general.

Karma Police: The police burst in on Adrian and Sean lying in bed together, and take them away.

BREAK: Sean and Adrian are separated and questioned, before being submitted to a fantastic new treatment.

FITTER HAPPIER: Sean is tied to a chair, his eyelids taped open, in an empty theater, while images flash onscreen and FITTER HAPPIER plays. At the end of it he goes limp.

ELECTIONEERING: A newsflash montage about Sean and Adrian, who are wrongdoers turned right by way of a marvellous new invention, and are taken touring by the government. They become increasingly agitated, and finally something snaps for both of them and they spend the last fourty seconds of the song running away from officials, out of a convention hall, where they had been making their rounds and shaking hands with officials. They are caught, and thrown into

CLIMBING UP THE WALLS: separate cells. A general montage of Sean's torment within the cell. He tries to climb the walls, to reach the outside (a window is twenty feet up the walls of the cell, it encicles the room, and he can see clouds and birds outside). At the end, he submits to a new treatment, a chip implant.

NO SURPRISES: He and Adrian are now neighbours, and married to other past wrongdoers (Elsie and Rebekah), in a huge suburbia where everybody has the chip. Everything happens mechanically until Sean slips on a bar of soap and hits his neck on the countertop, sending the chip flying. He realises what he must do, which is act naturally, and visit Adrian, and get the chip out of him. He does so.

BREAK: They are now, for all purposes, free. They devise a way to get beyond the Supermetropolis walls.

LUCKY: After building a balloon out of tarps, they sail off. Sensing something is amiss, the authorities chase after them in aircraft, but, luckily, the balloon is carried up and away, sucked through a massive ventilation shaft in the glass roof of the Supermetropolis. They land and explore this new area.

THE TOURIST: They find the ruins of London and live in Hyde Park, for they have never really seen natural vegetation. They age, living out their natural lives, instead of the perpetually-25 life they would have lived in the Supermetropolis. The last scene sees them rocking back and forth on rocking chairs on their little porch, very very old, holding hands, slowly blinking less and less, breathing slower...and on the final ping of the triangle, stop rocking and go still.

Please pardon the multiple post, my computer hates me and won't let me post lengthy posts.

This pretty sums up what OKC is about:

OK Computer is the first album to intellegently express vehement hatred toward the corporate world's replacement of human emotion and personality with robotic behavior in their attempt to be "more professional." Yorke's disgust with self- help programs and "successful" businessmen is the focus, and if you're a person with any integrity whatsoever that's set foot in a Class A office building, you can probably relate.

its a collection of (rather good) songs with a few common themes...

when radiohead write material they don't try and give it an overall story/message, the songs from that period in time will all be written in roughly the same mindset, so the album can still be very cohesive.

YOU GUYS ARE SUCH IDIOTS!!!!!1111

It's so obvious that ok computer is about a richard simmons workout filming gone horribly wrong.

Richard Simmons was yelling out a chorus of 'work it!' when suddenly the producer got sick of it all and threw his laptop at the legendary fitness star. Simmons then became crazed with a passion for human flesh and bright colors. He proceeded to eat everyone in the studio before finally dying from a rare case of E.F.S., or excessively flamboyant syndrome.

You guys were way off!

aboutimg.jpg

Wow' date=' someone managed to make OKC about a gay couple.

Impressive.[/quote']

It can be a straight couple. It doesn't matter. Actually, I originally wrote it for a straight couple, but someone suggested the whole gay thing and it stuck with me. Eh. It's a story I came up with.

YOU GUYS ARE SUCH IDIOTS!!!!!1111

It's so obvious that ok computer is about a richard simmons workout filming gone horribly wrong.

Richard Simmons was yelling out a chorus of 'work it!' when suddenly the producer got sick of it all and threw his laptop at the legendary fitness star. Simmons then became crazed with a passion for human flesh and bright colors. He proceeded to eat everyone in the studio before finally dying from a rare case of E.F.S.' date=' or excessively flamboyant syndrome.

You guys were way off!

[img']http://www.richardsimmons.com/images/aboutimg.jpg[/img]

ahahahah thats awesome

A+ in creativity there

It is very clear that OKC has a recurring theme to it. It's a very special album in every way' date='and that includes it's lyrics. Sometimes it's theme get a bit fuzzy,but here's my attempt at OKC's storyline.

There was an android made in a 1984 modern world. The government is cruel and watches everything the people do in this day and age,and that's why the robot was made-to destroy this government. However,the robot acts decidedly human and looks decidedly human,so it is accepted,though it is really a spy.

Airbag-The robot is driving a car,gets in a car wreck,and it's circuits are scrambled. However,it survives complete destruction because of the airbag. Because its circuits have been scrambled,it takes on a human nature,and actually [i']believes[/i] it's human.

Paranoid Android-Even though being in a crash looked as to have a positive effect,the crash made the robot have some side-effects,thus causing the jumbled-up nature of the lyrics of this song.

Subterranean Homesick Alien-After recovering from his injuries,the robot realizes how boring this earth really is,and wishes to meet aliens and leae the planet.

Exit Music (For A Film)-The robot finds a girl,and attempts to leaves the planet with her (this might be Sarah,later mentioned in Lucky),but her Dad refuses to let her go with him (his psychosis might have something to do with that ;) ).

Let Down-He goes back to living life normally,and examines what people do when they're dissappointed,and how dissappointing the world can be.

At this point,for tracks 6,7,and 8,the focus switches to the world itself in this 1984 world and what's happening in it,

Karma Police-Whether literal or not,there appears to be a penalty for not following the status quo,and the song examines the fate of those who do not follow it,including Thom,who sings as a person part of the "police".

Fitter Happier-For those who get caught by the "karma police",they get sent to a brainwashing center to help them "get their lives together". It starts off good,but ends up a horrifying poem of boredom and erosion.

Electioneering-This song examines the process of campaigning,and how anyone will do anything to get to the top.

Now the focus switches back to the android for the rest of the album.

Climbing Up The Walls-The robot appears to be having a dream about what he was built to do before the crash:kill.

No Surprises-He wakes up,realizing he's back in his warm,but suffocating world where no one can harm him. It sounds that people are trying to get him to return to his normal programming,but he still thinks he's human.

Lucky-He finally snaps his twig,and tries to kill himself,"Pull me out of the aircrash,pull me out of the lake..." The government that he was built to take down wishes to recruit him,realizing that he's invincible,(I don't think the airbag saved him at all) but he chooses not to go. However,it also dawns on him that he's a robot.

The Tourist-After trying to kill himself,he leaves the girl,and the planet. A dog also finds out he's a robot. Where he ends up,I'm not sure,but I think an OK Computer 2 would be appropriate.

I came up with this from a user on Epinions.com,but put my own spin on it. His name is divad23.

I hope you enjoyed my probably inaccurate interpretation!

If you have any of them of your own to post,put them here.

thats the best post ever made EVER

its a collection of (rather good) songs with a few common themes...

when radiohead write material they don't try and give it an overall story/message' date=' the songs from that period in time will all be written in roughly the same mindset, so the album can still be very cohesive.[/quote']

Well they did try with HTTT. And thats also why it turned out to be shit

This pretty sums up what OKC is about:

OK Computer is the first album to intellegently express vehement hatred toward the corporate world's replacement of human emotion and personality with robotic behavior in their attempt to be "more professional." Yorke's disgust with self- help programs and "successful" businessmen is the focus' date=' and if you're a person with any integrity whatsoever that's set foot in a Class A office building, you can probably relate.[/i']

seems pretty much right to me. i think its just a collection of songs ordered to sound good and take the listener on a musical "journey." The lyrics as with other albums and other bands just express what Thom was feeling at the time, so there probably is some 1984 influence and stuff and that is probably something anyone who loves that book can relate to.

so it does have a meaning but not a specific one chosen by the band. it can be whatever you choose it to be.

A dog also finds out he's a robot.
A dog also finds out he's a robot.[/b']

Never gets old.

Guest Thomas J

i love the fact that every now and then this thread gets bumped and i'm reminded of the greatest post in existance.

Guest Thomas J

I hope you enjoyed my probably inaccurate interpretation!

hahaha i love this too, there's not probably about it.