Sign in to follow this  
stayandchewthefat

Meeting People Is Easy

i find it fascinating. but i know a lot of people who dislike it intensely. some of them seem disappointed that the band aren't having a more spectacular time with their 'stardom'. or they wish there was more live footage.

i think its a lot more interesting than the average band film.

im not being purposely obtuse, but what is 'the average band film'?

after that asshole doorman heckled thom ...

for that asshole: :bottom:

for thom: :hug:

So that was the doorman? What a fuck! Were they trying to get into that club?

I think the video was brilliant, esp. that one scene when they zoom in then out while Thom goes through the motions while singing Creep. That's some fucking brilliant filming.

Oh' date=' come on. It was totally full of jems!

Japanese reporter :So you made an album that's manic depressant.

Thom: (sigh)

Japanese reporter: what was the stupidest question a repoerter has ever asked you?

Johnny: (roll eyes)[/quote']

haha

i was thinking about buying it soon, cos i like the bits i've seen on youtube and it sounds like its worth getting even if its just for when i have nothing to do for an evening.

yeah, they did play it all the way through but they NEVER showed Thom singing it. in fact, if i remember, the camera was on Phil throughout the song. i just wanted to see Thom ... singing .... just that once .....

Wasn't the camera fixed on Thom for that entire performance?

I really like it, it works as a visual parallel to some of the themes in the album as well as being a well crafted insight into the state of the band at the time showing the events that went a long way to making a band capable of creating Kid A. Calling it pretentious is entirely missing the point, its not an interview collection-its a document of its time, the band's career at that moment that also further showed the relevance of OK Computer's themes to modern society.

yeah, they did play it all the way through but they NEVER showed Thom singing it. in fact, if i remember, the camera was on Phil throughout the song. i just wanted to see Thom ... singing .... just that once .....

I haven't watched it in a while, but I thought they show Exit Music twice. Once during the film, and it's only the second half of the song, and they have the camera on Phil the entire time (very cool to see what he's doing). The second time is after the film is over, during the credits, they show them doing the entire song during a sound check, and it appears the camera is on Thom's mic stand, which is the only thing they show (Thom's face is really close and slightly distorted).

I thought it was great if only for things like the early version of LIAGH with different lyrics, Follow Me Around, Big Boots, and the making of the No Surprises video. I actually thought Thom held his breath for that long :(

But it also delves deep into the dimension of OK Computer, with all the footage of airports, subways, escalators, big cities, etc. It's a full visual representation of the concept of OK Computer (If you wish to call it a concept album). Very cool.

I haven't watched it in a while, but I thought they show Exit Music twice. Once during the film, and it's only the second half of the song, and they have the camera on Phil the entire time (very cool to see what he's doing). The second time is after the film is over, during the credits, they show them doing the entire song during a sound check, and it appears the camera is on Thom's mic stand, which is the only thing they show (Thom's face is really close and slightly distorted).

your right. i guess i never made it to the end before. the first time is all Phil. at the very end, during the credits, they show thom.

not sure why i never saw that before.

I love the version of LIAGH in that movie. I wish I had more of it. And Follow Me Around. I could watch that entire movie just for those bits. LIAGH reminds me of what Thom said about writing Cymbal Rush: (something to the effect of) starting out with something very personal, almost autobiographic, and then taking out the personal references until all that's left is the feeling, or something corny like that. fuck, I'm rambling.

Anyway, Meeting People is Easy is like Depression/Angst in a box. I love it.

The film was made just like Radiohead make their albums simple as that, and I expect nothing less. I was surprised how many great sounding songs on there that I had never heard before, songs like that floating around for 10 years and 3 albums?

Speaking of, can anyone give me a list of the non album (main releases) songs that appear? I know the one half way through "follow me around". Particuarly the last two songs.

Also could any of those appear on LP7?

I haven't watched it in a while, but I thought they show Exit Music twice. Once during the film, and it's only the second half of the song, and they have the camera on Phil the entire time (very cool to see what he's doing).

This is another favorite part of mine. Notice Phil is the only band member that never speaks directly in the film? He makes background comments but that's all. His drumming in Exit music is hair raising. It gives me chills to listen to and even more watching him play. It looks so easy for him as he calmly hits the cymbal one more time and takes a drink of his water. Just another song for him. No problem.

Guest fakeplasticperson

i watched it for the first time last night. i thought it was really good- very heavy but it never got boring and it was a good insight into how the band was feeling. it can also serve partly as an explanation for why they made kid a, what made them feel so disillusioned with their music.

i thought the part where thom had a tantrum when they were making the no surprises video was a rather funny as well. although it could serve as a representation of how he was trying to get out and away from all the attention and was trapped...

but anyway, i thought it was really good, although i still havent heard phil speak...

i watched it for the first time last night. i thought it was really good- very heavy but it never got boring and it was a good insight into how the band was feeling. it can also serve partly as an explanation for why they made kid a' date=' what made them feel so disillusioned with their music.

i thought the part where thom had a tantrum when they were making the no surprises video was a rather funny as well. although it could serve as a representation of how he was trying to get out and away from all the attention and was trapped...

but anyway, i thought it was really good, although i still havent heard phil speak...[/quote']

Yeah I was thinking he looks like he hates it, but why would thom do the video, isn't it his choice.

If you want to hear phil speak watch the Le Reservoir videos on youtube, somewhere in there everyone gets interviewed, phil is so cute.