Sign in to follow this  
stayandchewthefat

Meeting People Is Easy

when they are doing all those commericals for the radio stations

"hey, this is colin from Radiohead and you are listening to such and such."

you can tell they are thinking "when the fuck is this gonna end?"

Gets better each time, I've seen it 3 times, first time I thought it was crap, a misuse of the material but now I think its great. Be great if someone could make a film about me like that.

I like the insight it gives, though you do pretty much have to be a pretty serious fan to enjoy it I have found. I like the fact that it shows just how hard touring can be on a band and what they have to endure. I'm sure one of the most annoying things are those mindless interviews where the same dumb questions are asked over and over. haha and the sound of them warming up before a show in the dressing room is priceless.

it tries too much to be arty rather than just being a documentary about radiohead. gave me nothing

i would agree with the arty comment. I mean when does trying to be artistic become pretentious crap that blows?

even with saying that i will say it did give me something, the tone and atmosphere of what it is like to tour being a world famous band.

Since when does being "arty" mean that everybody has to downplay it for being "pretentious crap"? I thought it was a well made doc that actually complements the feel and shares many of the themes of a Radiohead song...particularly from OK Computer. I think Grant Gee knew what he wanted to see...he wanted to show a band in the most depressive and monotonous moments of an album tour, and he probably picked and chose a lot of the footage that he thought expressed that. Anybody watching this because they thought it was going to be a portrait of Radiohead itself or a concert video was sorely mistaken. Note that there wasn't one whole song played during the course of the film. This film wasn't about that, and it imbued the piece with a sense of purpose that was unique and highly stylized. My criticism of it was I don't think there was enough interesting material to fill the feature. I feel it would have been better if it was maybe twenty minutes shorter.

I dug it. I watch the footage of them playing the b-sides over and over. Seeing Pearly played live makes me want to be a rock star. Watching How to disappear completely played in the empty amphitheatre gave me a whole new understanding of the track. Follow You Around is spectacular. I wish I had the sound bits from the movie where they try and record Big Boots on an MP3. I love it all. It' fantastic.

i love it, i've watched it a few times, its one of those films you can watch more than once and get something different from it each time.

totally agree

and i liked it the first time i saw it, but the second time i was stoned out of my mind and it was even better

not trying to push that on anyone who's not a stoner, just saying that made it just a little more interesting

Oh, come on. It was totally full of jems!

Japanese reporter :So you made an album that's manic depressant.

Thom: (sigh)

Japanese reporter: what was the stupidest question a repoerter has ever asked you?

Johnny: (roll eyes)

the arty stuff in this movie is great! like the scott walker sequence. it sets the tone of the film. i love how disjointed everything is, like the plot is just radiohead play a song, radiohead do an interview, radiohead on the road, radiohead playing another song etc. it has such a disjointed feel to it.

I dug it. I watch the footage of them playing the b-sides over and over. Seeing Pearly played live makes me want to be a rock star. Watching How to disappear completely played in the empty amphitheatre gave me a whole new understanding of the track. Follow You Around is spectacular. I wish I had the sound bits from the movie where they try and record Big Boots on an MP3. I love it all. It' fantastic.

Dudes, this movie is great. Once you get over the fact that it isn't a concert DVD, and the frustration of wanting to hear more of a song or interview but then Gee pulls you away, it is an incredible documentary. Gee is attempting to make the audience feel what it was like for Radiohead on that tour - disoriented, frustrated, snippy, bored by the monotany - and he pulls it off masterfully.

I agree with Maestro about the performances. The live performance snipets are incredible. Seeing them try and eventually fail to record Big Boots (sounded pretty fucking good to me, Thom!). Seeing the original Nude performed (much better than the new version). Seeing the rest of the band trying to keep Thom from having a nervous breakdown ("It's a head-fuck, Jonny!!"). This is as good as it gets for serious fans.

BTW - The only live performance that is shown from start to finish is during the credits when they play Exit Music during a sound check.

I have to agree with whomever mentioned it that the 'artsy' stuff in the film does compliment the album artwork for OK Computer quite well, I especially liked the tram line shot. My major knock on the film is I think the audio could have been handled a little better, I know it sounds very muddy at times. But that is why I have good headphones.

Got the dvd and seen it twice.

its cool.

people in it piss me off though.

like that 'radiohead...creep...dickhead' dude.

and it shows radiohead in a bad light at times too.

almost emphasises the 'depressed and full of self-pity' image people have of the band at some points.

I just watched it again the other night, this being the first time since taking a film course and I must say that the editing of that DVD is fantastic... The timing and effects used to portray the different moods and emotions is insanely well thought out and executed. And when I had headphones on the sound was great... so I dont know if I was just not listening to it loud enough or what before.

BTW - The only live performance that is shown from start to finish is during the credits when they play Exit Music during a sound check.

yeah, they did play it all the way through but they NEVER showed Thom singing it. in fact, if i remember, the camera was on Phil throughout the song. i just wanted to see Thom ... singing .... just that once .....

i find it fascinating. but i know a lot of people who dislike it intensely. some of them seem disappointed that the band aren't having a more spectacular time with their 'stardom'. or they wish there was more live footage.

i think its a lot more interesting than the average band film.