Sign in to follow this  
jordanMINNESOTA

Making a game.

Using Mac OS X's developer software.. cocoa.

i'm gonna draw the graphics, and makes the sounds/ music.. it's gonna be very basic..because i'm just learning how to code in objective - c. but already I've managed to create a map and a moveable character{currently with stand-in graphics}. anyway.. i'll post updates in this thread, and pictures when somthing worth seeing is availabe. eventually i'll put up the final product of the game and you can download it and play! (if you have mac os x, i'm not doing crossplatform work)

the project is currently titled Sumas.

it'll be an adventure game with graphics in the style of japanese prints.

that's my starting goal... lets see how far i stray from it when i get frustrated ;p!

please cheer me on so i don't get discouraged with my first attempt at this and quit outright!

bump.

I've gotten bullets, targets, movement and points systems to work.

here's an image of the game without any graphics...

sumas01.jpg

coded all from scratch.

i've got some further ideas for the game and it will be highly puzzle/adventure oriented...

IE: navigate a map/maze to locate letters of a word and then be forced to unscramble the word in order to unlock the exit of the map.

of course that's just an example, and it hardly sounds exciting written out like that.. but the maps will be filled with traps and puzzles.

i'm still planning on using japanese print style graphics, the main character will be a nobel woman trying to track down her servents who've dissapeared from the temple grounds.

Japanese-Woman-by-the-Sea-Giclee-Print-C12065838.jpeg

what the fuck? how did you do that!?

i demand to be kept on frequent updates with this project

mac os xcomes with software developer tools... namely a program called X-Code, it's nested in the System installation disc.

as for learning the code, i bought a $9 ebook that teaches the basics of programming in xcode.

right now i'm working on developing false walls that can be blown up/opened.

i could upload the "test"* level i've been working on.. but it's really quite uniteresting, but still cool..because..like.. i made it work ;p

*"test" is a very loose word.. it's more like a heap of junk that i'm using to explore functionality..

mac os xcomes with software developer tools... namely a program called X-Code' date=' it's nested in the System installation disc.

as for learning the code, i bought a $9 ebook that teaches the basics of programming in xcode.

right now i'm working on developing false walls that can be blown up/opened.

i could upload the "test"* level i've been working on.. but it's really quite uniteresting, but still cool..because..like.. i made it work ;p

*"test" is a very loose word.. it's more like a heap of junk that i'm using to explore functionality..[/quote']

wow, this all sounds really complicated and awesome

i really want to be able to play at least some of it sometime

I like the idea man. I'm a big fan of the games industry... and Japanese art too.

For your reference, you might want to research a game called "Okami" recently released on PS2 for the art style. You can find info at http://www.capcom.com/okami/ (look at the screenshots, it's beautiful!) or for a more modern style of Japanese art, I'd recommend you research an artist called Chiho Aoshima, one of my fave Japanese artists at the moment... really inspiring stuff!

Also if you really want to get deep into your research I actually have a book on Japanese Prints somewhere I can dig out and get the ISBN number for. It's a good look at the history and art of them.

We had a games module on my course at uni, and the best thing I learnt is that you can often make things much more interesting to play with interesting and relevant animation and visuals, as well as nice sound and music... so definitely spend time on that!

Whoooops I rambled again. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, good luck!

I like the idea man. I'm a big fan of the games industry... and Japanese art too.

For your reference' date=' you might want to research a game called "Okami" recently released on PS2 for the art style. You can find info at http://www.capcom.com/okami/ (look at the screenshots, it's beautiful!) or for a more modern style of Japanese art, I'd recommend you research an artist called Chiho Aoshima, one of my fave Japanese artists at the moment... really inspiring stuff!

Also if you really want to get deep into your research I actually have a book on Japanese Prints somewhere I can dig out and get the ISBN number for. It's a good look at the history and art of them.

We had a games module on my course at uni, and the best thing I learnt is that you can often make things much more interesting to play with interesting and relevant animation and visuals, as well as nice sound and music... so definitely spend time on that!

Whoooops I rambled again. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, good luck![/quote']

yeah. okami is pretty. i haven't played it... but it's a fairly well known game, i've seen lots of videos.

i have a number of books on japanese prints ..specifically by hokusai.

while it's true that things can become more interesting with pretty animation and sound...and they'll be sure to grab you quite quickly... pretty animation doesn't stay with anyone. It's not somthing that makes you come back over and over... it's the challenge and gameplay that does that.

the main influence for the art is the book The Tale of Genji, which i've been reading. it's basically an account of everyday life in 9th century japan... written in the 11th century.

it was written by a woman and was ment to give the poorer people of japan a look at the lives of those in the emperor's court. A fantastic book to own, everyone should have a copy... because it's somthing that you read one chapter at a time... and maybe set it down for a week. because the 1000+ pages of japanese love affairs are not somthing to be taken all at once.

it's coming.. i'm working on adding features to the core of the game.. so that i can handle multiple maps , a variety of enemies and a number of different types of interactive spaces.. (doors, pitfalls, breakable walls, traps.. that sort of thing)

i'm considering adding a sort of weapon like Bomberman's bombs..though, they won't be bombs..they'll just behave similarly.. because i've lately becomea addicted to Bomberman '93 on wii's virtual console.

over the last few days i ran into a number of code problems and junk, most of which i've resolved..the others don't hinder the gameplay..they just make design a little more difficult, hopefully i'll be able to figure out the problem soon.

sumasdesign.jpg

at work today i did some design brainstorming for the main character of my game prototype...

note: this is not the game with japanese style graphics... that will come later after i figure out how to do everything i want to do. firstly, i'm working on a game called Sumas.. it will be only a few levels long..and fairly straightforward topdown adventure game. I think it's a good idea to aim for something short n' sweet at first.

ps.. i started adding sound support today, temp background music {i need to find some way to toggle this on and offf..because... who really wants to listen to videogame music on their computer when they could play their own library?} and Success chimes.

woo. game development

Guest Thomas J

keep at it, man. it sounds fucking wicked, can't wait to see the finished product.

i'm going to spend all night trying to get this effort done with... and i'll make myself chocolate cookies so i don't get too depressed by it.

and then

and then finally

i'll be able to start working on graphics..

that's exciting ya