Meejum

The Tennis Thread

best week to be on sick leave is def during the us open qualifiers, tbh. i got to watch tennis all day, and different players than the usual players we see aaaaaall the  time. seriously, nice mix of old and young players, new tantrums, interactions with the coaches, no challenges, management of time between points, AC on the courts, and three-set matches for everyone. it's just so much tennis i'm in heaven.

well it's raining now ...

i still can't stand the tennis skirt. i was traumatised as a kid. i loathe the tennis skirt. everybody's wearing shorts underneath anyways. if it's really an aesthetic choice on the part of players, i think all players should start wearing all kinds of costumes, why not, not just the female costume. capes, wigs, stilts and worm buffets. do female athletes in 100m sprint wear a skirt? no, they don't. maybe tennis is just as much a parade as soccer/football is partly made out to be. all in the hair gel. yet it isn't. thank you taylor townsend and others for wearing shorts this year.

Using similar logic I thought it was funny that Scottish men wear kilts like it's their business and Scottish women enjoy more typical and modern fashion in the same settings where kilts get worn. Like did only men in Scotland get "traditional" attire? I'd posit that kilts have only survived because they're fun and plenty of men subconsciously want to wear dresses. But so much of being Scottish is being silly ("I'll take a wee dram of ...). I get the impression Scots do not take themselves too seriously and I appreciate it.

Tennis players on the other hand are very serious. That being said I watched this very serious tennis moment a couple days ago and was completely moved.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/27510249/naomi-osaka-coco-gauff-teach-lesson-humility-sportsmanship

oh yeah i've been meaning to watch that video... i did see coco win a match and that was sweet.

i saw serena win last night. love to hate her or hate to love her i hope she wins, that girl works hard. but she's up against the canadian girl who beat the swiss girl who has beat serena in the past. so.... hmmm. gonna make popcorn for that.

no tutu this year

serena-2-nc-er-190827_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jp