danthelegend69

Amnesiac...

Amnesiac was the 2nd Radiohead album I listened to.

OKC, then Amnesiac, then HTTT, then Kid A, then Pablo Honey, then the Bends.

eh.

I didn't like it very much, but I didn't think much of OKC at the time either.

go jazz:rockout:

edit:

PS: I always seem to forget that album even exists. I thought You and Whose Army was by another band for years. Years and years.

I've recently found Pulk to be very enjoyable. I've always skipped it after hearing that sudden pounding beat after Pyramid Song, but now I've grown to really like it. I've also found a new appreciation for Pyramid Song. When the drums and bass kick in..right after the smooth Ondes line accompanying Thom's voice..and the swirling strings throughout the rest of the song..they're all done so well.

By the way Lenard - was that you who was working on the LIAGH GP tab a while ago?

Ah, Amnesiac...

When I first got into Radiohead it was through OKC. The I bought, on recommendation, The Bends, and then HTTT-- for I had heard Kid A and Amnesiac were 'experimental' and weird. But I aqcuired them too eventually, and was shocked at how easy it was to get into Kid A. Though the full process of taking in Kid A took quite awhile (ending when I decided that OKC is just barely better, they are almost equals in my eyes now). Amnesiac took longer though, and I still consider it the most difficult record. This summer I gave it a lot of attention though and songs I didn't dig at all have become favorites, songs I liked at first, are ranked as the lesser tracks of the record.

Currently, I rank the tracks in order of best to worst as follows:

LiaGH-- used to not like it at all, now I think it's brilliant.

LSP-- still prefer it live, but nothing can compare to the experience of listening to this track.

Pyramid Song-- I still consider this song quite overrated, though it is excellent. Lyrically beautiful.

YAWA?-- Great climax. Great track.

Pulk-- used to skip, but this one is great when driving through the woods at night. Intense.

Knives Out-- initial favorite, still a great track.

I Might Be Wrong-- Love it, I don't understand the criticism it's getting here.

Hunting Bears-- This track sums up Amnesiac the same way Treefingers does Kid A, the same way Fitter Happier does OKC. It's sound, it's feel. Awkward, uncomfortable-- that's Amnesiac.

Morning Bell-- The only reason this is rated lower is because I prefer the other MB, this one has grown on me quite a bit though.

Packt-- Much better live, love the music. The vocals are a bit grating though. This one does tend to bore me. But sometimes I really love it.

Dollars and Cents-- the only 'just ok' song on the album. not a favorite as far as Rh tunes go at all, but by no means crap.

The albums I rate as follows:

OKC>Kid A>>>>>>>HTTT>Amesiac=The Bends >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PH

There are some remarkable b-sides from this era, a few that do rate better than some album tracks, however, the album may not have worked the same with them. Cuttooth, for example, is brilliant-- but it wouldn't work with the flow of Amnesiac-- yes, there is flow to the album, it's simply awkward and uncomfortable, but not in the sense that it's poorly arranged, it's meant to give you that feeling, it's not meant to be easy or straightforward. It demans time and thought.

Basically, it took me the longest to get into and still isn't my favorite, but it's a great record and deserves at least a second glance.

insert detailed explanation.

well when you put it like that...

aha but seriously, i agree it is at times stunning, but in my opinion, i believe my original point was, it doesn't deserve the raging bumlove that it gets on this board.

I got Amnesiac last of all the Radiohead albums, and I still think it's just above average. There's some great stuff on there: IMBW (though the acoustic version and one particular live version just rule) Knives Out, You and Whose Army? etc. I've never quite 'got' Pyramid Song, but I really want to, just because I feel like if I do it'll be so, so good.

I like Amnesiac. It's my #3.

If I were Radiohead, I would have put it together like this.

Packt

Pyramid Song

Pulk/Pull

You and Whose Army?

Trans-Atlantic Drawl

Hunting Bears

I Might be Wrong

Knives Out

Dollars and Cents

The Amazing Sounds of Orgy

Like Spinning Plates

Life in a Glasshouse

12 songs. Trans-Atlantic to Hunting Bears to I Might Be Wrong works really well. Also gets rid of Morning Bell/Amnesiac which is a mediocre song in my opinion. They had too many awesome B Sides at this time to allow Morning Bell/Amnesiac a spot.

i prefer most of the amnesiac bsides to some of the album tracks

however

amnesiac f*ckin rocks....

it was initially my favorite of their albums because it is so dark and ominous sounding.

i think it was pennyroyalty that said that HTTT sacraficed ambience for song strength... i think amnesiac does this esp. when compared to kid A

Much Controversy... i like it!

i listened to the album again last night, on my own, in the dark

i have a slight more appreciation of packt i guess, its not so bad maybe

pyrmaid song... still amazing, one of rh's best

pulk... not so bad actually, crappy lyrics, that really annoy me, good sound

yawa.. quite a nice little song really, i was harsh on that

imbw... i still don't like im afraid not at all, good bassline, good lyrics, really boring sound

knives out... still brilliant tune

morning bell amnesiac.... garbage, pointless garbage, can't stand it

dollars and cents... it does actually create quite an atmosphere, but i have no idea what thom is singing, which is a lil annoying

hunting bears... crap

lsp... amazing

glasshouse... amazing still

so in conclusion im still not convinced on people who say its rh's best, i just can't get into the before mentioned tunes

Yes, I was the one that posted the liagh tab that never got finnished.

my rating amnesiac:

Life in a Glass House

Pyramid Song

Dollars & Cents

I might be Wrong

Like Spinning plates

You and Whose Army?

Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors

Knivs Out

Morning Bell

Packt

Hunting Bears

I don't really consider Hunting Bears a song as much as a tool for consistancy.

Amnesiac is one of my favouriteRadiohead albums.

I looooooove Packt LIke Sardines; it's absolutely awesome.

Pulk is actually really good ... I used to hate it.

Treefingers is just a short cool-sounding instrumental ... I don't really understand how anyone could hate it.

I have 2 problems with the album which are frustrating because otherwise I think it's absolutely brilliant: Morning Bell/Amnesiac is a pile of shit. And (and I know this is controversial*) I think they butchered LSP.

It would've been a 5 star album if those two had been replaced with some b-sides.

finally someone who isn't a thom arse kisser

it's good ; but definetley their weakest album.

still not convinced about what everyone is saying, its not wear near kid a, ok comp, bends or even httt

infact, the more i listen the more i get sick of it

morning bell/am.. is the biggest crock of shit, worst song in rh history, second worse = hunting bears

even pop is dead is better

finally someone who isn't a thom arse kisser

still not convinced about what everyone is saying' date=' its not wear near kid a, ok comp, bends or even httt

infact, the more i listen the more i get sick of it

morning bell/am.. is the biggest crock of shit, worst song in rh history, second worse = hunting bears

even pop is dead is better[/quote']

i've shat better songs than pop is dead, and my shit isn't even musically inclined, and i can guarantee mb/a and hunting bears are both better than my shit