• like spinning plates (live)
    • bullet proof
    • talk show host
    • street spirit
    • alligator's in the sewers (live)
    • sail to the moon
    • big ideas

Guest jordanMARX

There are so many depressing and beautiful Rh songs...it would be impossible to make this poll with only 10 options.

Nice Attempt though :)

Climbing up the Walls is their heaviest song I've yet heard. Specially towards the end when Thom is screaming his guts out. I'd say it's a good candidate for the most depressing song.

Originally posted by Fenster@Apr 3 2005, 11:03 PM

Climbing up the Walls is their heaviest song I've yet heard. Specially towards the end when Thom is screaming his guts out. I'd say it's a good candidate for the most depressing song.

i lke you already

the most depressing song is the infamous one,

"today i will eat the razors sharp with my bare hands because tomorrow comes too soon" from the EP 'up the ladder' version 2003

great background vocals and heavy electric organ!!

who's heard it?

Originally posted by say10@Aug 6 2004, 09:57 PM

sorry cesar i had to restart ur poll but ur still the man. u'll find it a bit different... i was very critical... maybe even biased? i tried hard not to be though... honest.

just to get things straight... when i say depressing i don't necessarily just refer to the lyrics or subliminal messages... that's about 85% of their songs... it's more to do with the tone in thom's voice and how good the music accommodates the mood. the type of songs that make you want to just give up for a moment or two... "fade out"... lose yourself in ur own private state of melancholy... "disappear completely" from the harsh/fake/brutal/unforgiving reality we live in. i'm talking about no signs of optimism or hope what-so-ever...

i felt that out of all their songs these were the ones that really demanded a highly personal emotional connection from the listeners. i believe they were intentionally created this way by thom and co.

i unfortunately had to narrow it down quite a bit. i think a lot of you are gona be flabbergasted by my choices. you have every right to disagree and rebel. go start a revolution. just keep in mind that i took out songs that i consider to be my all time favorites over some that aren't.

here they are (honorary mentions):

-knives out

-you and whose army

-fog

-true love waits

-creep

-pyramid song

-motion picture soundtrack

...yeah.

i like idioteque

Originally posted by Cyanide Breath Mint@Aug 6 2004, 10:01 PM

From that list i'd say How I Made My Millions. It should be Street Spirit, well actually it was Street Spirit at one point, but repeated listens has taken the effect out of it. If I went six months without listening to The Bends it would be Street Spirit.

How I Made My Millions isn't depressing lyrically, but musically. The recording of it is so raw, and feels very true.

Thought if MPS were included I probably would have chosen that.

acually i like unnamed too cause its everything im not...

a depressing song and a sad song isn't the same thing for me.

a sad song is a song that could make you cry, but still be beautiful and with some kind of optimism and hope...it's like some of those sentimental disney-movies. exit music is a good example. sad, but very beautiful...

a depressive song is more desperate-paranoia like, a song that really puts you down in every way.

i think Where I End and You Begin is on of their most depressive songs. At least on of the most destructive.

I will eat you alive

I will eat you alive

I will eat you alive

it's not like god himself is shining through the sunlight, you know.

Based on this (seemingly misguided) poll I would have to say bulletproof. If MPS was on there that would be my vote.

On the whole issue of who thinks what is depressing, I feel that this is a very biased poll. Then again, every poll would be biased because it may not include a song someone wants. I do find the topic creators constant hammerings on others a bit ironic. Also, when I think about it, bones is kind of depressing (not so much though).

i don't see how almost any of those songs are depressing

aside from Creep, which is depressing in more ways than one, We Suck Young Blood is infinitely depressing so much it's damn near unlistenable

sorry

I just read the lyrics while listening to Videotape, and found it to be amazingly sad. Maybe cause I'm really down tonight, but even after voting for something else, VT is just depressing very much so right now...