• how to disappear completely
    • like spinning plates (live)
    • bullet proof
    • talk show host
    • street spirit
    • alligator's in the sewers (live)
    • sail to the moon
    • big ideas

please read from beginning of my post before saying your gibberish, but here goes...

Q: Why isn't MPS on the list?

A: "stop sending letters... letters always get burned"... as i said before... there's too much hope. is it sad? yes. a very beautiful and somber piece, but it's not "depressing". the song gives you inspiration to go on with life no matter how hard the times are. it is more of a sweet melancholy. nonetheless, it will forever be one of my all time favorites from thom and co.

Q: Why isn't Pyramid Song on the list (and Sail to the Moon is)?

A: "there was nothing to fear... nothing at all"... it's a happy sad song. i just can't picture anyone getting really depressed over this one. i guess it is similar to Sail to the Moon with the piano, but if you listen closely to the way thom sings sail u should hear more of a desperate/"i give up" tone in his voice. and like MPS, Pyramid is also one of my favorties.

Q: Why isn't No Surprises on the list?

A: "such a pretty house and such a pretty garden"... this song makes me smile. it's probably the happiest sad song i have ever heard. ironic cause the lyrics seem to represent something like a suicide note. its like about a guy who's had enough, but isnt really that sad on going. also one of my favorites.

Q: Why is Street Spirit on the list?

A: "And fade out again and fade out again"... as i said before i ALMOST took this song out cause of it's last inspirational line. "immerse your soul in love".... but it's more of a man who's approaching death and saying his final words to the listener. definitely lines of hope... but he's done for. he's like saying don't forget to immerse your soul in love because just about everyone forgets to... and it's not an easy thing to do. prob just as hard as finding enlightment for buddhist monks. the song as a whole is very depressing. thom's singing about giving up... but unlike MPS... it's about a guy who's very sad on going and basically wishes he coulda lived his life better. it's actually TOO depressing for some people who sometimes just prefer to avoid it. truely a masterpiece and a hell of a way to end one of the greatest albums ever.

...yeah

Fake Plastic Trees would be my vote. To me it is depressing lyrically, musically, and emotionally, but that's what makes it such a great song - in a way.

Originally posted by KidA@Aug 9 2004, 08:02 AM

Fake Plastic Trees would be my vote. To me it is depressing lyrically, musically, and emotionally, but that's what makes it such a great song - in a way.

how is fake plastic more depressing then songs like exit music, how to disappear completely, or how i made my millions?? u seem to be biased cause the song is probably on of your favorites.

Just because a song gets popular doesn't mean that it's not depressing. I'd say that No Surprises is an incredibly deppressing song, and if you remove yourself for a second from the popularity of it and look at it as an actual song, then it is very easy to see.

Tell me the line "I'll take a quiet life / A handshake of Carbon Monoxide" isn't depressing.

cmon!

i'm not really going by lines.. or how popular it is. it's how the song is sang along with the moody music. as i said before, i think No Surprises is the happiest sad song i have ever heard.

yes but don't u get the sense that it's over happy...

the whole point(to me) of the songs happy rhythm and singing is simply to contrast the depressing lyrics, the fact it's about someone giving up and accepting their horribly boring life.

hell even at the end "such a pretty house, and such a pretty garden" is sang while in the background you hear a Peircing piece of back-up vocals "LET ME OUT OF HERE!" is repeated... maybe the man's conscience expressing how he truly feels under the mask of a so-called happy middle aged suburbanite

lyricially the song is definitely depressing, but don't just go by the song's message... that's like 85% of their songs. it tells a sad story, but the song will always make me smile... one of those sad/happy smiles.

Originally posted by sarah_killed_me@Aug 10 2004, 12:24 AM

ok... i gotcha... nice to know i'm not the only one having a hard time fully

expressing myself on a message board. people take things the wrong way when

they don't see you saying them

the world is in dire need of people like you... glad you see what i mean.

by the way, is Lucky your favorite song? cause its definitely one of mine.

Guest jordanMARX

I'd always have to say How to Dissapear Completley. It's 100% loneliness in a sonic form.

edit:: Tracks from Kid A, in my opinion...are based on capturing emotion. I've always felt like that...Radiohead was simplifying itself and it's goals, they turned inward and started targeting emotion. From the contrasting chords(major to minor), to the repeating devil's interval... Radiohead used every availible ..er...musically-sad-thing, to convey the feeling of loneliness.

i think Dance Sucker is the most depressing

but i went for Sail To The Moon because for me it's like Pyramid Song with some of the good stuff taken out.

*ducks*

Originally posted by keir@Aug 10 2004, 04:36 PM

i think Dance Sucker is the most depressing

but i went for Sail To The Moon because for me it's like Pyramid Song with some of the good stuff taken out.

*ducks*

LoL... i love em both, but Sail's got the upper hand when it comes down to depressing songs.

i never even heard of Dance Sucker... where can i get it?

Originally posted by Peelio@Aug 10 2004, 02:49 AM

Portishead - Roads, anybody?

Oh yeah, definitely. The strings really pull your heart out.

Originally posted by say10+Aug 10 2004, 01:24 PM-->
QUOTE (say10 @ Aug 10 2004, 01:24 PM)
Originally posted by KidA@Aug 10 2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by say10@Aug 9 2004, 12:40 PM

ok.... u're entitled to your own opinion and i didn't even bring up the "you seem to be biased cause the song is probably one of your favorites" on my last reply so relax buddy... take a deep breath...

FPT just isn't depressing (imo). radiohead probably didn't even intend the song to be a "depressing" one unlike their blatantly depressing songs like "exit music", "HTDC", and "HIMM". the music and thom's tone in the song just don't make it sad. what makes it sad is it's lyrics... and sad lyrics don't necessarily mean a sad song. so if you think it's sad then by all means be my guest and get saddened by it... but i personally feel that the songs i left on the list are on a completely different level of depressingness. FPT just doesn't lower my spirit/mood the way they do.

Originally posted by jordanMARX@Aug 10 2004, 11:56 PM

yesssss..what is this Dance Sucker?

it's one of the On A Friday demos, sometimes incorrectly known as Something To Hate.

i picked Bulletproof...always loved that song, but it was a hard one, coz' HTDC is one of mine favorite too...

U could also put "The Tourist", "High and Dry" "living in a Glass house" and "wolf at the door"...

i find them very depresing.

sorry, i am shallow. :ph34r: