• how to disappear completely
    • like spinning plates (live)
    • bullet proof
    • talk show host
    • street spirit
    • alligator's in the sewers (live)
    • sail to the moon
    • big ideas

sorry cesar i had to restart ur poll but ur still the man. u'll find it a bit different... i was very critical... maybe even biased? i tried hard not to be though... honest.

just to get things straight... when i say depressing i don't necessarily just refer to the lyrics or subliminal messages... that's about 85% of their songs... it's more to do with the tone in thom's voice and how good the music accommodates the mood. the type of songs that make you want to just give up for a moment or two... "fade out"... lose yourself in ur own private state of melancholy... "disappear completely" from the harsh/fake/brutal/unforgiving reality we live in. i'm talking about no signs of optimism or hope what-so-ever...

i felt that out of all their songs these were the ones that really demanded a highly personal emotional connection from the listeners. i believe they were intentionally created this way by thom and co.

i unfortunately had to narrow it down quite a bit. i think a lot of you are gona be flabbergasted by my choices. you have every right to disagree and rebel. go start a revolution. just keep in mind that i took out songs that i consider to be my all time favorites over some that aren't.

here they are (honorary mentions):

-knives out

-you and whose army

-fog

-true love waits

-creep

-pyramid song

-motion picture soundtrack

...yeah.

From that list i'd say How I Made My Millions. It should be Street Spirit, well actually it was Street Spirit at one point, but repeated listens has taken the effect out of it. If I went six months without listening to The Bends it would be Street Spirit.

How I Made My Millions isn't depressing lyrically, but musically. The recording of it is so raw, and feels very true.

Thought if MPS were included I probably would have chosen that.

you know, i've sat here for the longest time looking at these songs and i can't pick one. honestly, they don't make me feel depressed. certainly, they are sad, but i can listen to a sad song without becoming depressed.

the most depressing song i've ever heard is an old, old song from my parents record collection called 'is that all there is?' by peggy lee. the song is about her going through her life, reaching each milestone, being unimpressed and just saying, over and over again "is that all there is?" its the most depressing thing i've ever heard in my life. i remember hearing it when i was a kid and thinking "oh my god, i never want to grow up".

radiohead songs make me feel thoughtful, or concerned, or pissed - but i never, ever come away from them thinking 'i don't want to go on'.

Originally posted by Cyanide Breath Mint@Aug 6 2004, 10:01 PM

From that list i'd say How I Made My Millions. It should be Street Spirit, well actually it was Street Spirit at one point, but repeated listens has taken the effect out of it. If I went six months without listening to The Bends it would be Street Spirit.

How I Made My Millions isn't depressing lyrically, but musically. The recording of it is so raw, and feels very true.

Thought if MPS were included I probably would have chosen that.

the first time i heard "how i made my millions" i was completely speechless. no wonder they wanted to keep it as is..

i guess i need to clarify more:

1) i had a feeling most people would want MPS... personally one of my all time favorite songs. yes it is sad. very sad... but at the same time it's very uplifting... like i can picture a guy (thom preferably) singing this song... crying... but at the same time has this strange grin on his face... like coming out of a very close and carefree loving relationship (so your sad cause ur gona miss the person)... but at the same time u're kinda glad it's over (so you grin). that's just my take on it... i just don't think it's in the depressing category. more like sweet melancholy...

2) as for "Talk Show Host"... yeah i see where you're coming from. it's opening is very, very dreary, but the song does become more and more "rocky theme"-ish. still, here's my take on it. i picture a guy (thom as a hitman...)... he's done for... too many on his tail... he gives up... gets very teary... and yells

You want me, well f*cking well come and find me

I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

And nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing

You want me, well, come on and break the door down

You want me, f*cking come on and break the door down

I'm ready,

I'm ready,

I'm ready,

I'm ready,

I'm ready...

(he's given up everything... he's ready to die... no sign of optimism or hope... he's ready to accept his fate... very sad.... imo)

Originally posted by chitramyqueen@Aug 6 2004, 10:20 PM

you know, i've sat here for the longest time looking at these songs and i can't pick one.

i actually can't either.................................

i guess it's between "how i made my millions", "exit music", or "like spinning plates (live)"

Maybe Like Spinning Plates, but I don't think most of those are really all that depressing. Exit Music is, if you take it in the context of Romeo & Juliet -- you know how the whole story ends. Otherwise, it could be quite hopeful...

I really don't know. I haven't heard all of them. Probably Knives Out, I think. It's very poweful though especially where Thom is singing:

So knives out

Cook him up

Squash his head

Put him in the pot

Absolutely beautiful guitar playing though.

Knives out is somewhat funny in parts (the video is very funny) so a can't see it as depressing really.

HTDC is the most depressing song for me. Total denial or a desire for it, nothing redeeming or even angry left. The music plays right into it. Some very sad and hopeless emotions there.

Even Street Spirit, that Thom himself finds very dark, has the redemption in the ending line of "immerse your soul in love".

none of those are deppressing exit music whould probably thought of as the most but it just makes me want to see my girlfriend and gets me pumped

motion picture soundtramk should be on there i wouldve voted for that

Originally posted by SpinningSiren@Aug 7 2004, 12:19 PM

Knives out is somewhat funny in parts (the video is very funny) so a can't see it as depressing really.

HTDC is the most depressing song for me. Total denial or a desire for it, nothing redeeming or even angry left. The music plays right into it. Some very sad and hopeless emotions there.

Even Street Spirit, that Thom himself finds very dark, has the redemption in the ending line of "immerse your soul in love".

"immerse your soul in love"

that's actually one of the reasons why i ALMOST took it out... it's a very hope driven line... but i just couldn't do it. the song is still as a whole very depressing and black. i have friends that just prefer to stay away from it even though they tell me they absolutely love it. most of the times probably because they connect it to very sad and hard times in their life.

that's exactly what i'm talking about when i say "depressing". songs that you may love, but you just sometimes don't want to listen to... cause you know how sad it might make you feel. i'm talking about depressing songs that some people would actually sometimes prefer to avoid.

songs like MPS and pyramid song i think i can listen to whenever and know they won't really put me down... they actually make me feel good inside. i mean they do offer a touch of sadness, but nothing like the songs i left on the poll... and yes... even songs that many of you would wonder why they're there in the first place like Talk Show Host and Alligators.

and now that i think about it Knives Out isn't depressing at all. just listen to the music and the tone in thom's voice. i can see him with a psychotic look as he sings it... he wouldn't be drooping or showing any sign of hopelessness of any sort. who would ever cry to a song like this? it's actually more "absurd" then it is "depressing". don't get me wrong i absolutely love Knives Out. defintely one of amnesiac's best.

A song about love and death, performed on an organ, some of the most depressing imagery ever (especially with the original third verse) and also the most hopeless/given up on living line ever: "Maybe I will see you in the next life." This guy has lost someone very close to him, and now his only hope is the afterlife.

Why in gods name is MPS not on that list?

Originally posted by Peelio@Aug 8 2004, 04:42 PM

A song about love and death, performed on an organ, some of the most depressing imagery ever (especially with the original third verse) and also the most hopeless/given up on living line ever: "Maybe I will see you in the next life." This guy has lost someone very close to him, and now his only hope is the afterlife.

Why in gods name is MPS not on that list?

I'd say "I will see you in the next life" is optimistic, personally

P.

And where is "Pyramid Song"??? The lyrics are beautiful but the music is soooo sad, specially at the very beginning...

One of the things i like the most about about radiohead is how their music fills me with hope. Most of my friends find them sad... but not me. I can't help but smile whenever i hear one of their songs.

not like this: :D but like this :)