Sign in to follow this  
thecourtesyfalls

What happened to the melodies?

Thom Yorke has been able to come up with outstanding melodies in the past all the way from pablo honey to amnesiac. it does seem though that since hail to the theif, and even some of their new stuff I've heard, like thoms not trying any more. Is it only me that thinks this??? I do love a lot of songs on hail to the theif, and i like what I've heard of the eraser, but it still doesn't touch his past songs. It seems in a lot of these songs, almost like he's rambling words over the music and just making up melodies as he goes...

Guest Oh wow

yeh the eraser sucks and most of the new radiohead songs that ive heard seem abit crap except for 15 step, i havent heard them all though nor many times

i agree a little bit..

There were parts of HTTT that i found quite tuneless really. - go to sleep and backdrifts being the chief culprits.

But im okay with that - i think its obv enough Their songwriting talents arent quite as strong

as in their prime - but name an artist/musician that hasn't happened to over time - there are

only a very few.

having said that i still think the new material is fantastic

I can't say that I agree with this topic in any way. Their melodies are still fantastic. It's one of the reasons that albums like Kid A and Amnesiac worked. There's still a good tune under all of it.

Thom Yorke has been able to come up with outstanding melodies in the past all the way from pablo honey to amnesiac. it does seem though that since hail to the theif, and even some of their new stuff I've heard, like thoms not trying any more. Is it only me that thinks this??? I do love a lot of songs on hail to the theif, and i like what I've heard of the eraser, but it still doesn't touch his past songs. It seems in a lot of these songs, almost like he's rambling words over the music and just making up melodies as he goes...

you must be deaf

Hail to the Thief is extremely melodic.

The New Songs are extremely melodic.

i'm sure the Eraser is, i ain't heard more than brief samples on interviews.

more importantly, they're all extremely good.

objectively they've been consistent melodically since The Bends. with an album like HTTT, there's less repetitions of melodies within individual songs, as opposed to The Bends/OKC verse/chorus/verse structures, it doesn't hold your hands at all, so probably that pisses off people who have certain expectations. but there are obvious big melodies throughout the songs, it's just a matter of taste as to how much they appeal to you personally, nothing more, nothing less. of course there's more to music than melody and a fair deal of HTTT and the new stuff is more ryhthmically driven than they've been previously.

this confuses me though

just making up melodies as he goes

as opposed to what exactly? i'm pretty sure that's how it's always done.

Certainly they aren't writing songs as technically challenging as a Paranoid Android, My Iron Lung or the National Anthem from what i can gather, alot of the new piano songs are extremely basic! yet still great

Certainly they aren't writing songs as technically challenging as a Paranoid Android, My Iron Lung or the National Anthem from what i can gather, alot of the new piano songs are extremely basic! yet still great

Go Slowly is a nice simple thing, everything else is as complex as ever really. i don't know what that's got to do with this thread mind.

uh... the national anthem technically challenging? give me a break

Listen closer. The melodies are still there, it's the context that's changed. Listen to the chorus of "Where I End and You Begin" or "Backdrifts". They're the same soaring melodies you hear on OK Computer or The Bends, only the arrangements and instrumentation no longer emphasize them. Put some of those big rock chords over the Backdrifts chorus and you've got classic Radiohead.

Guest Thomas J

although it's a matter of opinion, your opinion is totally gay.

stuff like this has me more convinced than ever that most people don't actually know what a melody is, and basically what they're asking for is for radiohead to write ok computer again - nothing new, of course.

the studio version is :icon_eek: you cant deny that

yes i can

bass: G D Gb D F D [real fuckin' hard for someone who's played bass for about three days, maybe]

drum: same beat the whole song, with no limb independance

ondes+e-bow guitar: simple one note lines with about one note change a measure if that

thom's vocals: somewhat high, but he barely sings throughout the course of the song - and i can sing it, which means it's not hard

yeah some of the horn stuff towards the end is hard, but it's not like radiohead had anything to do with that. they hired professional studio horn players for it. and a lot of it is just them riffing over D minor blues scales. extremely basic improvisational theory, even i can do it and i gave up music performance because of improv

the whole song is one big fat D7 chord

not challenging

i agree a little bit..

There were parts of HTTT that i found quite tuneless really. - go to sleep and backdrifts being the chief culprits.

But im okay with that - i think its obv enough Their songwriting talents arent quite as strong

as in their prime - but name an artist/musician that hasn't happened to over time - there are

only a very few.

having said that i still think the new material is fantastic

When exactly was their 'prime' then?

Guest Thomas J

i hate it when people talk about radiohead's prime. kid a, amnesiac and hail to the thief are just as good as ok computer if not better. they're just not as famous.

Whoa... I just came back to check this, and there is so much hate going on... I never said I was right, I was merely asking if anyone felt the same way as I did. Comments saying that I obviously can't hear melodies, and that I'm gay??? I'm not trying to piss anyone off, I was just making an observation. As I said, I've been happy with everything from Pablo Honey to Amnesiac, so I'm only talking about HTTT and Eraser, and some bootlegs of new songs. New Radiohead does not suck! Don't get me wrong... I think Radiohead is awesome and I love all of their albums, even HTTT. It just seems that there hasn't been as much effort melody wise as in the past albums. that's all I'm saying... There are still some great melodies on HTTT and the eraser, so I'm not saying all of their new stuff has no melodies... I'm cool with everyone here, so there's no reason to be hating on me.

Whoa... I just came back to check this, and there is so much hate going on... I never said I was right, I was merely asking if anyone felt the same way as I did. Comments saying that I obviously can't hear melodies, and that I'm gay??? I'm not trying to piss anyone off, I was just making an observation. As I said, I've been happy with everything from Pablo Honey to Amnesiac, so I'm only talking about HTTT and Eraser, and some bootlegs of new songs. New Radiohead does not suck! Don't get me wrong... I think Radiohead is awesome and I love all of their albums, even HTTT. It just seems that there hasn't been as much effort melody wise as in the past albums. that's all I'm saying... There are still some great melodies on HTTT and the eraser, so I'm not saying all of their new stuff has no melodies... I'm cool with everyone here, so there's no reason to be hating on me.

the thing is, a lot of us don't even understand what you're referring to... there's clearly as much melody as there always has been, the melodies just don't happen to fit your rigid definition of a GOOD melody, which is really your problem and not thom's. they can't read straight out of the beatles textbook for the rest of their career.