Kleather

Is Radiohead emo? TAKING BACK EMO ! (Make sure you read my post first!)

Okay.

Now i don't like the "e" word anymore than the rest of you. But it's just something that's been blowing around in my head for a few months.

If I remember rightly the term "emo" was around long ago and was used to describe overtly emotional white-boy music, with none of this punk-rock derived skater goth rubbish it is assosciated with now.

Radiohead is as far as I am concerned "emo" music, when it is defined correctly. I actually feel quite offended that a replicated Blink-182 riff with a crying lead singer even denotes a new genre. I think radiohead fans everywhere, despite our natural love of their ambiguity, desire the word "emo" to catagorise them.

:thom: :jonny2:

Thom and Jon have both sported side-fringes or mop hairstyles, and whilst this is standard fare for most boys these days, it is the main criteria for the "e" word - with the current understanding of the word based on superficial fashion symbols.

This is more than a campaign for an obnoxious piece of slang to regain relevance, it is a fight for the real emotion portrayed in Radiohead to become synonomous with the "emo concept." A title currently awarded to derivative, rejection-laden punk muck that deserves little more than a good kick in the face.

no.

just, no.

EMO has gone down the road of sucking, its going to stay there. Lets not drag something good into it, shall we? There's nothing that will drag it up by its black-painted fingernails.

emo doesn't really describe the emotional content music anymore than rock describes the geological content of the music... and radiohead has nothing in common with the style of music it refers to.

Nooo, you are obviously confused. Let's take a look at emo. The first emo band was weezer. That's arguable of course, they sound nothing like the emo of today, but it didn't exist. You know. Anyway. Pinkerton was the first official emo album ever recorded. This is the formula it follows: Pop rock about your girlfriends breaking up with you, guilt about what you did to your girlfriends and being upset because your girlfriend is a lesbian. It is all about how river deals with women and how it makes him feel. You know, on the inside. Radiohead does, much, much more than that. Also, as it is derived from punk, emo is inherently direct. There is alot of metaphore, but it all pretty straightforward. Radiohead is not, even to the point of having seemingly nonsensical lyrics. Also, emo is ALL about the lyrics, whereas radiohead relies on the instrumentation just as much to evoke mood. Emo? No. Emotional? Yes.

The first emo band was weezer. That's arguable of course, they sound nothing like the emo of today, but it didn't exist. You know. Anyway. Pinkerton was the first official emo album ever recorded.

ROFL

Man, you guys really suck. He made it quite clear that he wasn't meaning that Radiohead=My Chemical Romance or Blink 182. Of course the majority of the board hates that music, and that's not what he's trying to describe. He's saying it really has nothing to do with the way emo is now. So yes, there's almost two kinds of emo. There's what it has evolved into today, and what it meant to people beforehand. But that was just lame, "OMG HE SED RADIOHEAD IS EMO111!!!! HEZ AN DUMB ASS" Give me a break people, or rather, give him a break, you know what he meant.

(EDIT - This message obviously wasn't to all of you. Doc, you made a good point.)

Radiohead has never made me feel like finding out where they live so I could bash their skulls in with a cricket bat. Lucky for Fall Out Boy, nobody here in the US plays cricket, so I can't find a damn cricket bat! A baseball bat just wouldn't be as gratifying. There's no flat side. Doesn't make the same sound either. But seriously, folks, I keed.

Leave the tidy little cubbyhole classification for rank amateurs like Hope's Fall and Sunny Day Real Estate. Radiohead is far beyond even calling them "rock", much less a minor subcategory called "emo". You wouldn't call the wind a bird, just because it lives in the sky. :ninja::ninja: :ninja:

Now i don't like the "f" word anymore than the rest of you. But it's just something that's been blowing around in my head for a few months.

If I remember rightly the term "fuck" was around long ago and was used to describe overwelming mtv pop girl/boy everlasting repeating, industry crushing, moneymaking, pop and hiphop songs, even punk-rock derived skater goth rubbish.

Radiohead is as far as I am concerned "fuck" music, when it is defined correctly. In this sence that i gladly like to have one while listening.

The first emo band was weezer. That's arguable of course, they sound nothing like the emo of today, but it didn't exist. You know. Anyway. Pinkerton was the first official emo album ever recorded.
ROFL

2nd.

However, I don't really think Radiohead fall into the "original" definition of emo either, which, I think, owed a lot to its hardcore roots... and I don't see any of that influence in Radiohead's music.

Okay.

Now i don't like the "e" word anymore than the rest of you. But it's just something that's been blowing around in my head for a few months.

If I remember rightly the term "emo" was around long ago and was used to describe overtly emotional white-boy music' date=' with none of this punk-rock derived skater goth rubbish it is assosciated with now.

Radiohead is as far as I am concerned "emo" music, when it is defined correctly. I actually feel quite offended that a replicated Blink-182 riff with a crying lead singer even denotes a new genre. I think radiohead fans everywhere, despite our natural love of their ambiguity, desire the word "emo" to catagorise them.

Thom and Jon have both sported side-fringes or mop hairstyles, and whilst this is standard fare for most boys these days, it [i']is[/i] the main criteria for the "e" word - with the current understanding of the word based on superficial fashion symbols.

This is more than a campaign for an obnoxious piece of slang to regain relevance, it is a fight for the real emotion portrayed in Radiohead to become synonomous with the "emo concept." A title currently awarded to derivative, rejection-laden punk muck that deserves little more than a good kick in the face.

no.

oh god, no.

rites of spring, christie front drive, appleseed cast, mineral, sunny day real estate... yes.

radiohead... not at ALL.

Emo is quite possibly the stupidest term ever invented. It's used by boys with small cocks mostly, I better get out of this thread!

And hermaphrodites. But I don't want to discriminate.

Now i don't like the "f" word anymore than the rest of you. But it's just something that's been blowing around in my head for a few months.

If I remember rightly the term "fuck" was around long ago and was used to describe overwelming mtv pop girl/boy everlasting repeating' date=' industry crushing, moneymaking, pop and hiphop songs, even punk-rock derived skater goth rubbish.

Radiohead is as far as I am concerned "fuck" music, when it is defined correctly. In this sence that i gladly like to have one while listening.

:thom: :jonny2:[/quote']

^this is great

without a doubt, radiohead make some of the most emotional music around but there's no point in trying to pin an "emo" tag on them. terms like emo are a waste of time and are just used as a convenient and instant label by and for lazy-minded people.

and i'd like to add that i'm tired of people throwing around "emo" like it's the word to end all words or something... it's getting quite old.

funny that i just posted this today and find a thread that reassures me that i'm not the only one that feels this way.

anyway, folks, the guy was trying to say that radiohead ISN'T emo as it is construed today. i don't even know what the fuck emo means anymore... it's so misused. everyone uses the word "emo" to describe basically anything that is wussy and/or obnoxious... can't we be more creative?