moremccor02

Lennon + McCartney = Yorke

Yorke is a very good songwriter

but mccartney and lennon are just in a different league' date=' and the thing about instruments, i bet they can play more instruments than yorke can[/quote']

mmmm john as an instrumentalist it's kinda hard, paul is certainly a better musician than yorke. this idea is stupid in so many ways though. yorke does not possess the range of songwriting styles that BOTH paul and john had. also as much as i love radiohead paul and john were the better songwriters. their body of work stands for themselves. pauls work with the beatles negates any poor solo work he has done.

well, most of the beatles lyrics were pretty straightforward, thom's rather cryptic

ummm have you heard the song glass onion? it's just a parody on how cryptic psychadelic era beatles songs are.

and lets just get this strait dylan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the others.

first off, of course i've heard glass onion, i'm a beatle-head as much as i am a radiohead...head? but anyway, during the later years of the beatles...they didnt bounce much, if anything off each other. they just wrote. they were pissed. read that 900 something page book about them taht came out, i read it on a planeride out to montana

I have no opinion on the exact topic of this thread, but I noticed for the first time when hearing Wolf at the Door in Chicago live the striking similarities in the beginning of it and the beginning of I Want You (She's So Heavy).

also, the similarities between a wolf at the door and the song Because by the beatles is rediculous...musical similarities that is. structure, feel of the song. but the rapping by thom is completey different than the eerie, haunting singing of the beatles in because

The Beatles are my favourite band and Radiohead are number two, miles ahead of anyone else. But I think Radiohead could better hte Beatles if they make another 3 or 4 awesome awesome albums. Most times ppl compare artists to the Beatles it's way off, but I don't think it's too far off the mark with Thom Yorke.

dylan's a better songwriter than anyone in history

Dylan's overrated. That's not to say I'm not a fan ... I have most of his early albums and they're mostly all very good. But he's not the greatest song writer ever. He's not a patch on Lennor or McCartney or Yorke. Most of his songs are the same sort of style - he doesn't genre hop as much as the Beatles or Radiohead. And he uses other ppl's melodies. Don't Think Twice It's Alright is an old folk song he just nicked.

Just sick of all hte Dylan hyperbole is all. I am a fan.

The Beatles are my favourite band and Radiohead are number two, miles ahead of anyone else. But I think Radiohead could better hte Beatles if they make another 3 or 4 awesome awesome albums. Most times ppl compare artists to the Beatles it's way off, but I don't think it's too far off the mark with Thom Yorke.

Thanks. As I said earlier, I am a HUGE Beatles fan, and I never thought there would come a day when I would actually contemplate someone being in Lennon and McCartney's league as songwriters, but amazingly, I now think Yorke is actually on that level (which is the highest level).

To tell you the truth, I thought I would get a lot more support on this board of my theory (this being an RH message board), but I was happy to see so many MTers jump down my throat to John and Paul's defense. Good to know that so many out there, including the younger ones, still recognize and appreciate the genius of John and Paul. :rockout:

Sgt. Pepper's, Obla-Di Obla-Da, Bathrom damned (Strawberry Fields, A Day the great McCartney qualities of his music to I Am The Kite), causticness about the advance and experiment with McCartney. For instance, he on the experience (Norwegian Wood, Tomorrow Never play every instrument on the the first to come) Knows, Lucy planet (pretty much).

Thoughts? (also, as Was thinking about this last being able to song-writing acumen, and musical abilities, I Need: Thom Yorke's Dear Prudence, Julia, with "search function" effortlessly conjure up beautiful up with this concept, drawn from personal (In My Life, Mother). He also possesses Madonna, Band On The Run), incredible tenderness presented without as his incredible vocal range and ability to vivid imagery Sinclair.

Power to In The MT legend that responds melodies on command completely new and different levels, are the I'm sure I'm not restraint for all to see Window, Lady critics be chip on his (too many to specify), take Sgt. Pepper's, Obla-Di Obla-Da, Bathroom night as #9), yet In The Life, Revolution as well world around him (Revolution, John has the Lennon the People) need to perfect mix of Lennon and wit (Happiness Is A Warm gets a door prize) Gun, Come Together, Dr. Robert), persona of completely fictional characters I was listening to All and situations (Elenor Rigby, Walrus, How Do You Sleep). Sky, Mr. the first shoulder (Sexy Sadie).

Sgt. Pepper's' date=' Obla-Di Obla-Da, Bathrom damned (Strawberry Fields, A Day the great McCartney qualities of his music to I Am The Kite), causticness about the advance and experiment with McCartney. For instance, he on the experience (Norwegian Wood, Tomorrow Never play every instrument on the the first to come) Knows, Lucy planet (pretty much).

Thoughts? (also, as Was thinking about this last being able to song-writing acumen, and musical abilities, I Need: Thom Yorke's Dear Prudence, Julia, with "search function" effortlessly conjure up beautiful up with this concept, drawn from personal (In My Life, Mother). He also possesses Madonna, Band On The Run), incredible tenderness presented without as his incredible vocal range and ability to vivid imagery Sinclair.

Power to In The MT legend that responds melodies on command completely new and different levels, are the I'm sure I'm not restraint for all to see Window, Lady critics be chip on his (too many to specify), take Sgt. Pepper's, Obla-Di Obla-Da, Bathroom night as #9), yet In The Life, Revolution as well world around him (Revolution, John has the Lennon the People) need to perfect mix of Lennon and wit (Happiness Is A Warm gets a door prize) Gun, Come Together, Dr. Robert), persona of completely fictional characters I was listening to All and situations (Elenor Rigby, Walrus, How Do You Sleep). Sky, Mr. the first shoulder (Sexy Sadie).[/quote']

Is that what I sound like?!?!? :icon_eek:

moremccor02, I like what you're saying. For the record I personally love both Radiohead and The Beatles. I think Thom Yorke is by FAR the best songwriter/artist our world has to offer today and I would easily put him on Lennon's level-- McCartney is a notch below as far as I'm concerned. To say Yorke is as good as both of them put together is too heavy; but, like you proved, he certainly does possess many of (both of) their great qualities.

To everyone who won't tolerate anyone being compared to The Beatles--

Putting anyone on the level of the Beatles, there's pretty much no chance that it won't be controversial. The number of rock bands/artists that one can possibly compare with The Beatles are fewer than you can count on your fingers. The fact is that the Beatles will always be the most important rock band; there can only be one that invented the wheel, BUT, it doesn't mean others can never be as good or better. Also, The Beatles have now been around for almost 50 years to Radiohead's 13. Radiohead have already influenced lots of bands but we need at least a few more decades before it'll be fair to compare their significance. Years from now, I have little doubt that Radiohead will be considered the most important band of this era, just like the Beatles are of theirs.

Now, the Beatles easily have more cultural significance and I think they're better at songwriting but in terms of musical proficiency, Radiohead are MILES ahead of the Beatles. The Beatles never wrote songs as complicated and diverse as the likes of Paranoid Android, Let Down and over half the songs post-OK Computer. They never incorporated nearly as many of the diverse styles/techniques/sounds that Radiohead have been experimented with in their last three albums. And don't tell me that instrumental technique has progressed over the years; people today are struggling to recreate the music great classical musicians wrote centuries ago.

If you ignore the less important considerations such as cd sales and pure popularity/mass appeal and compare the quality and depth of their music, it isn't difficult to put them on the same level.