mooks

The Longest Thread In Other Music

that era of vu is pretty cool but i️ can’t help thinking that it’s a shame it’s the line up that was so often documented, there’s some bootlegs that exist of the cale line up and a crummily recorded set included in one of those more recent deluxe reissue thingies but obv the ratio leans more in the favor of doug yule era, which is not bad o’course but can’t help feel that the charm in their long improv jams of sister ray etc is kinda lost w the comparatively straight performances documented with the yule line up anyway seems silly i️ admit to call them eras at all since i’m talking bout portions of time within really like a three year period of time. would b cool if some high quality live set emerged of maybe pre-1st album performance, that would be something to hear i️ imagine

damn I like your observations.

white light white heat 45th anniversary disc 3 is live april 67.

ya this the one i️ was taLkin bout, it is good! they play the jam that becomes The Gift, also not a young man anymore is a cool ass jammer that never saw a (released) studio version

also once we were doing this lou reed trivia from bill o'reilly's website either in this thread or on plug.dj.  the "correct" answer about what college he went to was syracuse and I said NYU, but it turns out he went to NYU for a little while.  felt it was important to set the record straight on that

i mostly listen to long jazz playlists on apple music, the “bop” and “post bop” ones are each like 3-4 hours long which is pretty good for the endless reading and paper writing i’m doing currently. ill switch it up with the boards of canada or tim heckler discographies. ill only listen to vocal music when i’m driving which the commute from uc davis back to sacramento is usually 45 min to an hour but i seem to fall back on bowie or protomartyr in those instances.

in a way i don’t listen to music the same way i️ use to but then again i actually am hearing way more music than usual, just perhaps not paying as close attention to what is playing

well, i am a lot busier now than i used to be, so i do have less time. but otoh i do have a lot of time driving, usually 2 hours a day, but i always find myself grabbing some podcasts or listening to audiobooks nowadays.

i have strong phases where i jam some classic stuff i'll never get sick of, usually molina or oldham. i listened to the new protomatyr and that was sick. i don't have a strong drive to sit down and get into new music like i used to though and i'd rather listen to people talking.

i mostly listen to long jazz playlists on apple music, the “bop” and “post bop” ones are each like 3-4 hours long which is pretty good for the endless reading and paper writing i’m doing currently. ill switch it up with the boards of canada or tim heckler discographies. ill only listen to vocal music when i’m driving which the commute from uc davis back to sacramento is usually 45 min to an hour but i seem to fall back on bowie or protomartyr in those instances.

are you going to school what kind of classes?

are you going to school what kind of classes?

ya i transferred to uc davis from community college, so i am technically a 3rd year english major.  rn i am just about done with the first quarter (10 weeks), currently taking shakespeare, british novels of the 1800s and modern literary criticism which is the class i am enjoying most maybe bc we're mainly reading philosophy which is strangely much more interesting to me than Henry IV, for example--anyway thats sort of made me decide to focus my degree on criticism and theory rather than creative writing, really the idea of 'creative writing' sounds real bad to me these days hahah.  also i will do a minor (perhaps double major) in philosophy.  i will graduate just after my 30th bday  :rockout:

i can say it is not an easy class (for me) but it feels great when i do finally grapple difficult philosophy and also enjoying it. the couple Derrida selections assigned are examples of that.

on topic portion of post: scary monsters is so freakin good, also v interesting that some of the songs originate from the diamond dogs era

I getting the itch to change my avatar but before I do, I would like to let you know that it is NOT a mere image of inventions for electric guitar by manuel gottsching.  it is a photograph of the CD jewel case of inventions for electric guitar by manuel gottsching.  none of you fools noticed and I have been laughing at your ignorance for months.