The Smile: the new album

Jethro2

On 7/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, (splurgee) said:

This album exceeded my expectations.  In a good way.

I don't mean to quibble, but exceeded=good, innit? 

Now, if it had "failed to reach your expectations".....

22 hours ago, Skuj said:

I don't mean to quibble, but exceeded=good, innit? 

Now, if it had "failed to reach your 

Yep skuj I bought the cd and I do love it and it is in my current rotation.  

Otherwise,  I would shelf it and perhaps give it another go down the road. It is as simple as that. 

There is no need to come at me passive-aggressive over such a trivial post. I haven't posted anything in years and it now, for me, it seems this place hasn't changed. Ugh.

Have a nice day.

Anyway, the more I listen to this, the more I love it. Goddammit Thom sounds amazing - he's 54, right? And here we are, 30ish years after RH's first releases, and this work is still compelling. 

I hate to admit this - I had no clue that Thom/Jonny did this until I visited this nearly dead forum. And I consider myself to be "up" on music releases. (Sheesh, it's part of my fucking job!) 😄

Is this album more Thom than Jonny or vice versa? I am having immense fun trying to decide this. 

For me, this is upper third RH. I know it is not technically RH, but Mick and Keith are not technically the Stones, and yet, here we are!!  🤣

I now work at a record store. (Yes, I do!) We decided not to order this album because it is as expensive as fuck. I dunno....maybe that's just the distributers we deal with.

Any comments from anyone regarding costs of this particular physical product? 

5 hours ago, Naomi Whats said:

Then I don't really know what you're beefing about!

🤣  ONE PAGE!!

Anyway, it's very hard for me to not consider this a follow-up to AMSP, even though 3 members were sipping tea somewhere. I note that (from page 1!!) some feel this is stripped back / pared down from regular old RH. I dunno. I love how no song overstays it's welcome, to my ears. (I'm looking at you, Sit Down Stand Up.) There's a lot of variety in this release. Thom sounds re-invigorated. AMSP sounded like Abbey Road to me...The End. I hope this diversion kicks RH into gear again, rather than setting them back even longer. 

Wow. I keep getting new awards for posting to myself. Today = a "dedication badge".

Maybe I'm completely wrong in my post above. Thom now/recently speaks of new music on the way. The Smile might be much more than a one-off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 6:27 PM, Naomi Whats said:

I mean, we all chatted about it when the album released

“We all” is a lot fewer than it used to be, though…

It seems a lot more folks came back for the Kid Amnesiac release than for this, which surprises me a little.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:07 AM, Happy Philistine said:

Be careful, you’ll need that for pooping.

Fuck that shit!!!

(I see that we are talking about My Arse more than this new album at this forum. It sucks. It really does.)