The Smile: the new album

Jethro2

• 3 weeks later...

Man, you know the board is dead when no one is talking about this. I watched the second concert on Saturday and it was fucking great, a perfectly acceptable substitute for Radiohead since it seems they’re done for the time being if not longer. Really fun to see Thom and Jonny live again and Skinner is a good match for them. Really looking forward to the album 

Kinda disappointed by The Smoke tbh. Like it's good but it's so... Radiohead as I understand them. The first song blew me away with how unexpected it was, and it was the direction I was hoping they'd go in after In Rainbows but they didn't. The Smoke has some lovely saxophones and stuff which is cool, but the riff and the drums just sounds like it coulda been an AMSP session

Yeah The Smoke is fine but doesn’t seem like a standout. More of a catchy single with that bassline

The live performance most impressed me with Thin Thing, Skirting, and A Hairdryer. Also really like Free in the Knowledge and We Don’t Know What Tomorrow Brings

I saw the 2nd concert too - thought it was excellent.  Blown away a bit by how well Thom and Jonny played the bass parts!  I really like The Smoke, and not fussed at all that it  sounds a bit similar to some of the stuff on AMSP.  

Thom and Jonny just seemed to be having a good time, which is great.  The songs are paired down, compared to the full band, but not actually that much.  Still plenty of effects in the background, and Thom having to play and sing each song.  

If that is the future - ie if it becomes more than a Side Project, and keeps producing material at that level, I wouldn't be unhappy.

Well, they're still referring to it as a side project, so presumably Radiohead is still in the background somewhere.  The last 2 years, in and out of one sort of lockdown or another, may have resulted in normal band activities not happening - ie this might have been a lockdown project for Thom and Jonny (the studio versions seem to have been finished by about October last year).  

But, I agree these sound awfully like (slightly stripped down) RH songs.  I obviously want to hear the final versions on the album - but I'm treating it as a pseudo-RH release.  

Some of Anima sounded like that to me too, especially Dawn Chorus / I am a very rude person.  I suspect that Thom is still writing songs as 'normal' (whatever that means), but is at a stage where, if RH are not 'available' for whatever reason, he'll just record them anyway - rather than some of the earlier projects (like AFP), where I got the impression he was recording stuff that the band either didn't want, or he thought were too far away from where RH were going.  The Anima and The Smile projects seem very much more a presentation of what he has available at a given time.

It was a pretty good cover.  Did they play the same set for each of the three shows?

Given they weren't playing RH songs (well, Skirting on the Surface) they had plenty of songs for the show.  It'll be interesting to see if there are any more 'The Smile' songs available for the tour from May - otherwise I could see them getting a bit sick of playing the 13 they had here ...

• 2 months later...

Pretty weird that they’ve managed to release five singles while they’ve gotten their shit together with the release. I wonder what the story is there.

I’d be tempted to move this thread to the main forum page since this is for all probable intents and purposes going forward, Radiohead

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah man, Thin Thing is awesome, I love the guitar

I think the ones that stand out to me are the same as from the live show, but of course the production here is fantastic. I do miss the guitar crunch from the end of the live version of We Don’t Know What Tomorrow Brings, though

Maybe Thom and Jonny can more regularly release music in this form

Man I totally forgot about I Froze Up. Maybe on the HTTT 20th anniversary lolol

I liked Skirting a lot when they played it on the TKOL tour in 2012 but I hadn’t listened to it for a while. Loved The Smile version immediately, and when I went back to the 2012 version I was floored with how different and sparse it was. It was good, but it’s holy shit good on this album, a definite 10

• 1 month later...