Kid A 20th Anniversary

Skuj

On 9/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, pennyroyalty said:

otherwise, there's no real reason not to take everything at face value is there? i'll personally give archival tracks a free pass for new vocals 'cos it makes sense that Thom wouldn't have bothered nailing takes for material they were leaving on the studio floor.

I dunno. Maybe I'm OCD or something, but it gets on my tits when these 20 year anniversary things have recent work done on them. It's cheating. 

3 hours ago, Jethro2 said:

Well, in the absence of any other recent work, I guess re-working older stuff is better than nothing at all.  Assuming, of course, that the result is worth listening to. 

To be fair, wasn't A Moon Shaped Pool mostly made up of re-worked older stuff in a way?

10 hours ago, rank said:

To be fair, wasn't A Moon Shaped Pool mostly made up of re-worked older stuff in a way?

Not really any more than usual. The big exception is True Love Waits already having an official release, but even then Kid A and Amnesiac both had Morning Bell. Songs like Nude and The National Anthem were written way before they found their place on albums

the idea that AMSP was old stuff seemed to get some traction with journalists but at least one article i saw was literally counting stuff like Full Stop and Identikit as 'old' because they'd been played (for the first time) on the King of Limbs tour, despite the obvious fact that AMSP was the only release window since. as far as we know, only Burn The Witch, Present Tense and True Love Waits predated TKOL, which puts AMSP more or less in line with the amount of 'old' material on previous albums. i'm sure the unknown histories of many songs are more interesting than what we realise though, there's been a lot of cool revelations in the past (The National Anthem technically existing pre-Radiohead's formation maybe the best example). obviously the band massively slowed down recording/releasing as the years went by too, so known unreleased material had to wait longer and longer to get studioed. and ominously, after AMSP, there's very little left to be on tenterhooks for (i love Skirting the Surface but it's probably going to be on The Smile record, i believe they didn't play any unreleased songs on the AMSP tour...)

8 minutes ago, walter ego said:

What is this leakery...  

i think i saw that on Reddit before. i assumed it was real because of its quick appearance, but on reflection an enterprising fraudster could have probably made it from known snippets 'cos it seems like just a mash up of known Kid A/Pulk parts with a lot of distorted vocals overlaid 🍽️

On 10/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, pennyroyalty said:

the idea that AMSP was old stuff seemed to get some traction with journalists but at least one article i saw was literally counting stuff like Full Stop and Identikit as 'old' because they'd been played (for the first time) on the King of Limbs tour, despite the obvious fact that AMSP was the only release window since. as far as we know, only Burn The Witch, Present Tense and True Love Waits predated TKOL, which puts AMSP more or less in line with the amount of 'old' material on previous albums. i'm sure the unknown histories of many songs are more interesting than what we realise though, there's been a lot of cool revelations in the past (The National Anthem technically existing pre-Radiohead's formation maybe the best example). obviously the band massively slowed down recording/releasing as the years went by too, so known unreleased material had to wait longer and longer to get studioed. and ominously, after AMSP, there's very little left to be on tenterhooks for (i love Skirting the Surface but it's probably going to be on The Smile record, i believe they didn't play any unreleased songs on the AMSP tour...)

woah what how am I just now hearing about this. well I guess at least that increases the odds of getting that song in some form or another. It'd make me a little sad for it not to have the radiohead touch though. a lot of Thom Yorke songs simultaneously make me appreciate what he contributes to the band as well as what he doesn't.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, pennyroyalty said:

after AMSP, there's very little left to be on tenterhooks for (i love Skirting the Surface but it's probably going to be on The Smile record)

Cut a Hole (which I love), Skirting on the Surface, Open the Floodgates, I Froze Up, Wake Me (Before They Come), & Come to your Senses are the ones I know of & of course Follow Me Around (which is about to be released). I'd love to hear these.

• 3 weeks later...

my take on this song was always that it fulfilled it's ultimate purpose being randomly bought out for acoustic sessions and radio bits as a protest song ('did you lie to us Tony') in the early-mid noughties and never seemed destined for anything more. not making it to HTTT despite that record's folky/protest leanings seems pretty damning in retrospect.

this is the same song, slightly better for not having the forced Blair reference because the song is really just about paranoia/anxiety, as the video demonstrates. unfortunately retriggers all my issues with archive-era Radiohead as in, was unreleased for good reason so a video now makes a bigger fuss over the song than the song deserves etcetera (the ideas in these videos are starting to seem a bit overripe as well). I'd speculate that the idea of the vocoder effect on the backing vocals pointed them towards the many vocal shenanigans and its claustrophobic/dissociative effects on Kid A, even if a barebones folk song was never going to fit overall.

this from 2017 is easily the most promising the song has ever sounded, imo, keep the vocal melody but rethink everything else.

jumping into this conversation mid-stream, but wondering if anyone has ideas for getting the "Scarry" book from a third party and at a reasonable price. called all my local record stores, but it didn't seem like they'd ordered any...

like someone was saying earlier in this thread, i dithered on ordering it before it sold out..!

I actually really like the video - I'll never see a drone the same way again!  The end sequence is particularly good.

The song itself isn't exactly a revelation, but it's good to hear a 'finished' version that keeps true to what it (probably) was originally intended to be.  The 2017 version Penny posted (which has a great backing track) sounds more like an attempt to update it to somewhere near where the band was at the time.  The vocals in it sound forced to me.

17 hours ago, Naomi Whats said:

So they released Follow Me Around! Pretty surreal to finally hear an official release and it just sounds like Follow Me Around

😆 it's exactly the same! I guess that makes sense if they had no idea what else to do with it at the time. I never really had any expectations of this song and couldn't have cared less if it got released or not but listening to this is kind of satisfyingly nostalgic - must've listened to it hundreds of times just because it was on the unreleased playlist with everything else. I guess I became fond of it in spite of myself.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, pennyroyalty said:

my take on this song was always that it fulfilled it's ultimate purpose being randomly bought out for acoustic sessions and radio bits as a protest song ('did you lie to us Tony') in the early-mid noughties and never seemed destined for anything more. not making it to HTTT despite that record's folky/protest leanings seems pretty damning in retrospect.

this is the same song, slightly better for not having the forced Blair reference because the song is really just about paranoia/anxiety, as the video demonstrates. unfortunately retriggers all my issues with archive-era Radiohead as in, was unreleased for good reason so a video now makes a bigger fuss over the song than the song deserves etcetera (the ideas in these videos are starting to seem a bit overripe as well). I'd speculate that the idea of the vocoder effect on the backing vocals pointed them towards the many vocal shenanigans and its claustrophobic/dissociative effects on Kid A, even if a barebones folk song was never going to fit overall.

this from 2017 is easily the most promising the song has ever sounded, imo, keep the vocal melody but rethink everything else.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with all of this. I didn't actually notice the vocoder the first time and now listening to it it sounds really silly! I think it's totally fine and good for Radiohead to release these songs even if they are a little weak, and it doesn't bother me that they're making videos for them either. Still, going the archives and releasing everything still feels like the actions if a band that has no intention of releasing actually new material any time soon

I was pretty sure that they'd quietly split (at least in terms of new albums) before hearing about The Smile. In a world where Thom & Jonny are straight up in a different band together, I'm super sure. Not only that, I'm not convinced I *want* them to continue: AMSP works too well as a closing chapter to risk an underwhelming follow-up.