Jump to content

Kid A 20th Anniversary


Skuj

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Used to be Skuj said:

Aw jeez, I really don't care about the "ban"/glitch/whatever.  :)

I think it is baffling that those 7 (or 8 if you count the extended Life In A Glass House) are not a part of this set. Sure, I can get them elsewhere - especially on that Capitol Records release that Radiohead had no part of. But how do those b-sides justify being left out of the 20th anniversary celebration? How hard would it have been to add them (30ish minutes) to the 34min of unreleased stuff?

I think this oversight is a showstopper for me. I'll play the unreleased stuff on youtube or whatever, but I will not get this incomplete 20th anniversary set. 

  

 

It would have added a forth disc which would drive up the price of the package and make it less accessible. It woulda been nice if they had been there, I agree, but the new stuff is the shit I really care about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm assuming that the b-sides thing (some, but not all, are on the tape) is a victim of them not doing any remastering while wanting to promote the outtakes as a new record: if I'm reading the email right, 'Kid Amnesiae' is the name of that record, which happens to be attached to what's basically just a deluxe reissue of Kid A & Amnesiac. if this 'new album' is indeed a cohesive sounding listen, then it might make sense that the b-sides aren't muddying the water. so we'll see.

with 95%+ of everything i ever listened to or ever will currently retailing at £9.99 a month, my huge cd collection is recently feeling like a ludicrously expensive assortment of antique coasters. back in my day you had to get a bus into town and snatch up the singles pretty sharpish and if you didn't, you never got to hear this shit. i have no idea how young music fans today are supposed to achieve that glorious 'i'm in a cult' feeling via the spotify search bar, but at least they weren't relying on this release to hear Trans-Atlantic Drawl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the b-sides are (mostly) available on the "amnesiette" so i'd be kinda surprised if that wasn't the version that actually does hit streaming services, etc

 

that said the exclusions on the b-side tape itself are baffling, no Kinetic???

 

anyway, when all's said & done i kinda wish i'd just grabbed one of those red vinyl pre-orders, since i actually don't own Kid or Amnesiac in any of their previous "wax" forms

 

guess i'll just be hangin' out on discogs a little while in November or whenever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, Chevy's Chevy Chase said:

the b-sides are (mostly) available on the "amnesiette" so i'd be kinda surprised if that wasn't the version that actually does hit streaming services, etc

Not what is implied on the iTunes version of the album unless they plan to make it a separate release ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

42FC66CE-30D0-4830-937B-D57047199B22.thumb.jpeg.3d05ec8811c5c7c63b7ba0ef1b4399b5.jpeg62B05A41-9459-43EA-8FBD-EFE505CF7285.thumb.jpeg.3d8396f083a4014d90efd925bbefb770.jpeg

413AAFA4-4B2A-4842-A416-3AE7187AF81A.thumb.jpeg.c589a128ed2c0107c0c1a7f0577e3e30.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rose ocean said:

Not what is implied on the iTunes version of the album unless they plan to make it a separate release ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

42FC66CE-30D0-4830-937B-D57047199B22.thumb.jpeg.3d05ec8811c5c7c63b7ba0ef1b4399b5.jpeg62B05A41-9459-43EA-8FBD-EFE505CF7285.thumb.jpeg.3d8396f083a4014d90efd925bbefb770.jpeg

413AAFA4-4B2A-4842-A416-3AE7187AF81A.thumb.jpeg.c589a128ed2c0107c0c1a7f0577e3e30.jpeg

Roooooose!

 

I actually didn't realise how many of these were alternative versions rather than just unreleased songs. I think I saw Follow Me Around and got too excited to read the rest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

only what they did with Man o War (added strings/modern vocal) would make us think about it, right? i hear little reason not to take it at face value, especially because of the legitimately low/murky production quality. apart from the acoustic guitar and vocal, which would be the new overdub suspects, it sounds like a live take from the era. to be an arsehole about it, it does way too good a job of sounding like the 30th best song from the sessions. i can believe that in '99 they might have thought a great version of the song could have been a contender, otherwise it's a struggle. but generally just no reason for them to be weird about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the song, I haven't really thought too much about when all the parts came from. It sounds to me like it perhaps came from before they settled on a direction, like maybe the kind of thing people would have expected to follow up OK Computer. I do think it has a kind of degraded/demo sound to it although it's hard to tell if it's a stylistic choice or simply because it *is* a demo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Naomi Whats said:

I really like the song, I haven't really thought too much about when all the parts came from. It sounds to me like it perhaps came from before they settled on a direction, like maybe the kind of thing people would have expected to follow up OK Computer. I do think it has a kind of degraded/demo sound to it although it's hard to tell if it's a stylistic choice or simply because it *is* a demo

I like it too - but vocally at least it does sound like a demo that didn't go anywhere.  Hard to know where it could have fitted on either of the albums (and it's of pretty 'slight' quality compared to what made the cut).  But there's enough for me to enjoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple more listens in the vocals do sound recent.  But it's not bad at all.  

The rest of the Disk 3 tracks are more what I was expecting - versions that evolved into the finals.  Although - I thought we already had a fair few Morning Bells (including the 'official' live version)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, pennyroyalty said:

i'm assuming that the b-sides thing (some, but not all, are on the tape) is a victim of them not doing any remastering while wanting to promote the outtakes as a new record: if I'm reading the email right, 'Kid Amnesiae' is the name of that record, which happens to be attached to what's basically just a deluxe reissue of Kid A & Amnesiac. if this 'new album' is indeed a cohesive sounding listen, then it might make sense that the b-sides aren't muddying the water. so we'll see.

with 95%+ of everything i ever listened to or ever will currently retailing at £9.99 a month, my huge cd collection is recently feeling like a ludicrously expensive assortment of antique coasters. back in my day you had to get a bus into town and snatch up the singles pretty sharpish and if you didn't, you never got to hear this shit. i have no idea how young music fans today are supposed to achieve that glorious 'i'm in a cult' feeling via the spotify search bar, but at least they weren't relying on this release to hear Trans-Atlantic Drawl.

Yeah. I'm pushing 60. I look at my huge cd collection with much love/joy, and I feel sorry for the Spotify users. I need to buy a car soon - but it must have a cd player. Looks like my "new" car will be 2010ish. 

I was a bit pissed off with the 20th anniversary of OKC, in that we all had to guess if the unreleased stuff was new and/or old? (Does anybody know yet?) Is this also going to be the case for this set? ie No info on when vocals were recorded, or what was added/subtracted from 20 year old tracks? 

(Not that it really matters to me, because without those 7-8 b-sides, I'm not getting this fucker.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Used to be Skuj said:

Yeah. I'm pushing 60. I look at my huge cd collection with much love/joy, and I feel sorry for the Spotify users. I need to buy a car soon - but it must have a cd player. Looks like my "new" car will be 2010ish. 

I was a bit pissed off with the 20th anniversary of OKC, in that we all had to guess if the unreleased stuff was new and/or old? (Does anybody know yet?) Is this also going to be the case for this set? ie No info on when vocals were recorded, or what was added/subtracted from 20 year old tracks? 

(Not that it really matters to me, because without those 7-8 b-sides, I'm not getting this fucker.)

 

Man O War had album credits for a new string section and the vocal take was clearly recent (after the first couple of lines, which were clearly old). otherwise, there's no real reason not to take everything at face value is there? i'll personally give archival tracks a free pass for new vocals 'cos it makes sense that Thom wouldn't have bothered nailing takes for material they were leaving on the studio floor. even then, it's only Man O War that definitely has them (i find Thom's vocals hard to date after OKC because of the amount of production/performative elements going on hand in hand with his aging tone: when he strains or lays off for effect as a younger guy, he sounds like his older self, whereas old Thom can still put in a 'sweeter' take when his voice is well rested, but usually you can spot a bit of Neil Younginess and he won't 0-60 high notes).

the fact that we got a video and everything for Lift, which sounds like a demo and i assume predates actual OKC studio sessions, shows that they're happy to release completely raw, ancient outtakes.

i'm half expecting 'Kid Amnesiae' to be, in whole or part, a kind of cut and paste mash-up of raw original sessions, so it could be a little more jazzed up than strict outtakes (which obviously wouldn't have been properly produced/mixed anyway). but there shouldn't be a lack of outtakes to work with!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 5:41 PM, Fast Tracker said:

Scarry limited edition sold out in UK. That's what I get for dithering. Still some in America folks.

Finally sold out in the US store. I no longer have to reconsider every morning. I don't know why I jumped on the tapes faster, but it looks like it was a good impulse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...