Kid A 20th Anniversary

Skuj

1 hour ago, nowhere said:

No, Miles didn’t, Don Alias did, that’s the whole point. And it’s insulting and false to call it innocuous and equate Phil’s abilities to Alias. Even Jack DeJohnette couldn’t play that rhythm until Alias showed him. Phil in 1999-2000, with 10-15 years experience in Britpop bands, was incapable of doing that at the time, idk if he can now.

confusion in the studio over what Miles wanted/time signature/technique etc (i guess this is what we're talking about) doesn't equate to technical difficulty playing it decades later. the bit being sampled isn't that complex. that article hints at the kind of overall difficulties and great mysteries of creation and attribution, 'cos Alias is playing them a rhythm he learnt from some other dude who learnt it from some other dude. rhythms are just fair game, for the most part.

but despite the crackdown in the early nineties i own a shit ton of records made since then, mostly hip hop, that use in an incidental manner uncredited samples of minor passages and moments akin to those Radiohead used. you had no idea that Radiohead were sampling these songs and artists until you were told, because they weren't central to the compositions of the Radiohead song or sampled track. 

in your weird vendetta and determination to cast Radiohead as irl bad people whatever the facts, you are arguing for the end to fair use practices that would cramp the creativity of many musicians, whatever race and income, in a way that no actually talented musician wants or is asking for.

i'm tired of fact checking all these authoritative sounding asides you throw out (like Thom supports Blurred Lines lawsuit) only to realise it's never true. have a good day.

Nowhere - thank for your helpful answer to my question before, but can I say your last posts are way over the top.  If you really think the band have become (or maybe always were) the monsters you describe, what are you still doing spending your time listening to them or arguing about them?  

I've followed them since the late 90s, and they are no saints (I disagreed with their stance over BDS, for eg, a few years ago), but when you say they were "making a point to play an especially long show in Israel, over BDS picket line, just to spite Palestinians", or repeat trash about Thom's marriage break-up, you are doing no-one (including yourself) any favours.

19 hours ago, nowhere said:

Vinyl is unplayable unless you invest in ten thousand dollar record players

i dunno man i've got a pretty tight set up, cost like £450.

14 hours ago, nowhere said:

Radiohead are monsters in the same way Kanye is, I only object they’re viewed differently and with a fake ass purity. They are corrupt people who opened the minds of entire generations with sometimes (not lately) visionary intriguing pop art. I don’t know if there is anyone in the world who admire TKOL, Stupid Car, Coke Babies, Sulk, Lozenge of Love, Treefingers, Pulk, Four Minute Warning, I Froze Up, Stop Whispering, Nice Dream, Scatterbrain, Harry Patch, Norwegian Wood OST, Eraser album, Dollars & Cents, Fog (not again), Supercollider, Worrywort, Kinetic as much as I do.

lol some of these songs suck bro. Sulk? Stop Whispering? you'd have been laughed out of here back in the day

nowhere has been banned for a history of killing any and all innocent conversation regarding Radiohead with extreme toxic negativity and off-topic posts. the final straw was basically libel against a band member. this board has never tolerated prying into the personal lives of the band beyond that they've spoken on themselves, especially if users repeat unsourced rumours as fact.

issues such as Radiohead playing a gig in Israel against the wishes of the BDS movement are theoretically fine to discuss, and I'm sure many fans have mixed feelings about the matter, but posters will agree to disagree in a thread about that discussion and keep it there. you can also post about it in the current events board or, most productively, discuss it somewhere other than a mostly dead Radiohead forum.

users who have nothing positive or constructive to say about Radiohead's current projects are generally encouraged to discuss it elsewhere.

it's also pretty tight that the vinyl reissues have got kid a and amnesiac on single LP. Kid A in particular DOESN'T WORK on the currently existing 2 x lp formats, having to flip it over between title track and national anthem and in limbo and idioteque kills the flow. somewhat disappointing there isn't an everything package for the completist i'll probably get the cream triple big book though.

much love to all drawn back here by radiohead news. forever in our thoughts xx.

I'm interested in whatever Stan and Thom wrote during the making ofs, that is not scribbled. And the b-sides. And a different vinyl set up.  Not big into the "KID A MNESIAC" branding, but it's pretty logical so I don't think they put much effort into it.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:49 PM, Naomi Whats said:

Obviously this place is largely dead now anyway but man I'm glad that guy is banned. The idea of coming in here to say 'This reissue looks cool' only to be met with paragraphs and paragraphs of pointless negativity was kind of a drag.

Anyway

The reissue looks cool!!

All of this!

Hello.

1. I started this thread. But now I seem to be "banned". Hence this new handle.

2. I confess to not having read all posts, so I may be missing some important details.

3. Am I the only one who is extremely pissed off that all of the original b-sides are not included in this set? (Or maybe I am missing something as per para 2?)

You are most probably not banned. When the board was revived, something happened with the passwords. If you want to get your old account back, you can contact jonathan and ask for his assistance. it's been quite a while since he's been here, so individual results may vary. it may take awhile, or it may not happen. but that's the avenue to take.

i'm not sure if you were mentioned here or on slack, but i did predict that you were due for a vist, so welcome back!

if you post or send me an email address i would send you a slack invite right away. that community is still pretty active and welcoming of all MT'ers.

Wait what? Was Skuj somehow accidentally banned along with nowhere or am I missing something 

I’m not planning to buy this so it doesn’t affect me they didn’t include the original bsides but it’s an odd choice 

I was happy to hear the previously unreleased track tho 

Aw jeez, I really don't care about the "ban"/glitch/whatever.  :)

I think it is baffling that those 7 (or 8 if you count the extended Life In A Glass House) are not a part of this set. Sure, I can get them elsewhere - especially on that Capitol Records release that Radiohead had no part of. But how do those b-sides justify being left out of the 20th anniversary celebration? How hard would it have been to add them (30ish minutes) to the 34min of unreleased stuff?

I think this oversight is a showstopper for me. I'll play the unreleased stuff on youtube or whatever, but I will not get this incomplete 20th anniversary set.