Sign in to follow this  
dagobah

Like Spinning Plates [live] but played like the album version

At a live concert, has Radiohead ever played Like Spinning Plates using instruments so that it sounds like the version on the Amnesiac album?  It seems like they used a piano at live concert performances.  I would love to have an audio file of them playing it with the synthesizers used in the Amnesiac album version.  I couldn't find any information about this at any of the following sources:

citizeninsane.eu

radiohead.fandom.com/wiki

7 hours ago, Lenny! said:

would be pretty damn hard for them to play BACKWARDS!         it'd be just like...          LIKE SHITTING PLATES!         plates on your ass bitch!         PLATES ON YOUR ASS!

Thanks for the reply.  It's good to know someone else is active on the forum.

There are plenty of forum members who have been to numerous Radiohead concerts and who have also acquired audio files of live concerts.  A few of those people probably know the answer to my question in the first post . . . . . it's just a matter of them being aware that I posted this question on the forum.  There has not been much activity on the forum over the last 6 months so I will just have to be patient.

another wish for the dream setlist.

if you find it let me know. the first time they played it live is on the imbw live recordings, which is great , but i doubt if they ever did it live album style.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, walter ego said:

Did you check the RADIOHEAD  PUBLICK LIBRARY

No, I did not.  I thought it would be too specific to be mentioned in the Radiohead Public Library.  But now that you ask . . . . . I will search the Radiohead Public Library and see if I can find any info about it.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, walter ego said:

Did you check the RADIOHEAD  PUBLICK LIBRARY

I checked the Radiohead Public Library but I did not find any info about a live version of Like Spinning Plates played using the instruments on the Amnesiac album.  On a separate note . . . . . I finally finished the project I have been working on for about 1 year or so.  I didn't work on it every day or even every week.  I worked on it whenever I had time.  The project was to acquire live versions of every track I like (tracks written and recorded by Radiohead, Atoms For Peace and Thom Yorke solo).  I suspect most forum members have many live versions of tracks.  And they've had them for years.  My situation was different.  I only had a few live tracks when I started this project.

As everyone knows . . . . . for the most part, most tracks are performed the same way by bands at each concert.  So my first challenge was just to find those typical performances, download them and organize them in my iTunes library.  In addition to that . . . . . I had to search out early live versions of tracks . . . . . or sometimes, only Thom & Jonny performed the track . . . . . or Thom played it all by himself . . . . . . or Thom performed a Radiohead track with Atoms For Peace.  The Citizen Insane website has been a great resource and I'm very grateful it is still available to use.  However, there's no one single database that contains every specific bit of info about different live versions . . . . . so sometimes, it took forever to look for that information at a wide variety of sources.

Another issue was finding quality recordings.  As everyone knows, there's so many low quality concert recordings out there.  People would claim it sounded "great" . . . . . but then after listening . . . . . . many times I asked myself "What the hell?  That audio recording sounds like crap!"  As everyone here at the forum knows . . . . . the audio taper may be too close to the stage or too far from the stage or their location (in the audience floor) records poor quality audio of vocals but great guitars . . . . . or their location records great vocals but low quality audio of the guitars.  One of my biggest complaints was audience members talking, screaming or whistling while a song was being performed.  Most of the time, I decided not to keep those audio files.

Another reason this project took me so long was . . . . . . after acquiring the audio files, I spent lots of time editing audio files in order to remove banter from band members (normally Thom, of course).    Obviously, that banter was usually right before tracks start.  And I wanted to remove most of crowd noise from before the music starts and remove most of the crowd noise from after the music ends.  My goal was to focus on the individual music tracks rather than entire concert experiences.  After all this work . . . . . I still couldn't find quality live versions of numerous tracks.  And yes, I know . . . . . some tracks just have not been performed live.

My next project is listening to all the music that is on the MiniDisks.  I have to decide what's worth keeping.  I suspect I already have some of the music that is on the MiniDisks.  This COVID-19 situation has actually given me a chance to work on these projects.  And I still need to do this same type of live track project for some of my other favorite musical artists (Depeche Mode, U2, The Cure, Coldplay, Neil Young).

On 5/1/2020 at 2:53 AM, dagobah said:

My next project is listening to all the music that is on the MiniDiscs.  I have to decide what's worth keeping.

I finished listening to the music on the Radiohead MiniDiscs [Hacked].  I was interested in keeping only a few recordings.  This actually surprised me.  I found quite a bit of the recordings to be a little boring sometimes.

And when something did catch my attention . . . . . boredom hit me in a different way.  It just gets old listening to different versions of tracks . . . . . over and over . . . . . and trying to figure out what's different between them.  Trying to evaluate which recording has better audio quality . . . . . over and over . . . . . that also gets tedious.  But I powered through . . . . . with the assistance of water, Red Bull and Pepsi . . . . . and with a few breaks here and there.  I thought this would take me weeks or months.  It actually took me a only few days and I'm very thankful for that.  If there is any forum member who contributed to the MiniDiscs tracklist at the docs.google website . . . . . I want to thank you for contributing to the tracklist details.  I sincerely appreciate having that information as a resource.

22 hours ago, sleepy jack said:

you got  a link to the docs.google?

Yes, of course.  Be aware . . . . . I added three spaces to the Internet address because I don’t like it when forums (and email websites) take an Internet address (that I have typed) and make it an active link.  I just want the Internet address to be plainly typed letters.  I think adding spaces does that.  I placed the spaces after https and google.  Here’s the Internet address:

https ://docs.google . com/document/d/1kA8u6UhjbutZ-b7TXzmX4qkOTg6nGC1vPg50WwCcZyo/preview

I thought of you dag. I just found this live version of Down is the new up from 2006 that's really good. I LOVE how they played that song that year, and I have been listening to the Toronto version because it's the least worst, sound-quality wise, but this one might be up to your standards. And you may have it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3WJeSda38

On 5/16/2020 at 12:37 PM, walter ego said:

I thought of you dag. I just found this live version of Down is the new up from 2006 that's really good. I LOVE how they played that song that year, and I have been listening to the Toronto version because it's the least worst, sound-quality wise, but this one might be up to your standards. And you may have it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3WJeSda38

I just checked-in to the forum.  Thank you very much for the link, walter ego.  I'm listening to it right now and I will compare it to my existing live version (which was performed in San Diego on June 27, 2006)

After listening to both versions, my existing live version (San Diego June 27, 2006) sounds better . . . . . for example, I can hear the bass guitar more clearly.