Sign in to follow this  
hedgehog in the fog

A Moon Shaped Pool named #128th best album of the decade by Pitchfork Media

Not inferior at all, but my passion for defending anything Radiohead related has waned so severely in recent years that I'll just leave it at that. I do think AMSP is a better album than In Rainbows. I also think you could make a highly credible list of music of the 21st century and include zero albums by Radiohead, especially for the 2010s. Jonny's soundtrack for Norwegian Wood is better than any of the band's or Thom's recent work.

I'm surprised how low it is tbh, last decade iirc Kid A was number 1, or at least top ten. Still, happy to see Blonde at number 1 and Rihanna's ANTI and Mitski's Puberty 2 rank highly

Yeah comparing Kid A's influence in the 2000s with AMSP this decade, AMSP was lucky to be anywhere in the list at all. Blonde probably wouldn't even exist in its present form without the influence of Kid A. Didn't Jonny also do some string arrangement for a song on Blonde? So technically a Radiohead member did end up being part of the P4K pick of three consecutive decades.

Other than unexpected oversights of Floral Shoppe, Quarantine, Me and Skeleton Tree, there wasn't too much wrong with this, it's lacking in plenty of my lesser known faves that I never expected to see in a list and in some Internet faves I hoped to see (Shura, Japanese Breakfast, The Internet, Matana Roberts), and it makes weird choices on rankings of certain artists' work (Lemonade), and despite being attacked in some quarters for abandoning rock, it manages to over-emphasize the most generic indie rock and emo in the lower parts of the list, and has too little electronic music and almost nothing non-US (even Canadian music is lacking, despite Pitchfork's writers being heavily Canadian; there's no Tanya Tagaq, Ought, Feist, etc).

But it feels okay in the top parts, with the exception of the most overrated album of the decade, Modern Vampires. Mitski should've been in that top ten position instead, and I would also swap out Fiona's excellent album for something (Vulnicura, LP1, New Amerykah, or even maybe bump up Rihanna or Grimes to top ten) that defined the actual decade rather than sounding like a throwback to mid 20th century. This list may be less white and less male than some past Pitchfork lists, but it's still dominated by middle aged people's tastes.

And putting NFR as the only Lana Del Rey album in the list is certainly a choice. The fact that Pitchfork was previously sleeping on her is no excuse to prop up such a filler-y album to top 20 while ignoring more succinct masterpieces Ultraviolence and Honeymoon.

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact Radiohead ripped one of their most critically acclaimed songs (Daydreaming) off a lesser known song from an unjustly hated Blonde Redhead era (Defeatist Anthem) or the fact that several of Coldplay's best songs in their early career (High Speed, Brothers and Sisters) were stolen from Gustavo Cerati (Puente) and Soda Stereo (Millon Años Luz). At least Coldplay admitted their theft by doing Soda Stereo covers in Buenos Aires. Radiohead owes it to Kazu, Amadeo, Simone to do Blonde Redhead covers next time they're in New York. The funny thing is Kazu's Salty lives up to its title just a bit, by being even more like Daydreaming than Daydreamimg was like Defeatist Anthem, as if she's just daring their hypocritical asses to try to pull a Lana Del Rey on her.

It's also a lot better than Daydreaming tho,