Sign in to follow this  
Skuj

Um....Ed has released new music.

WTF? No posts yet? I consider myself mostly retired from here, because....well....Lenny/Till/Whateverthefuck.....but I still lurk when EVENTS happen. But I'm the first to post about Ed's new music? Kill me now. 

Edit: Sorry I was rather cranky when I wrote this. Too much CNN/Trumpism. I apologize.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:23 AM, Skuj said:

WTF? No posts yet? I consider myself mostly retired from here, because....well....Lenny/Till/Whateverthefuck.....but I still lurk when EVENTS happen. But I'm the first to post about Ed's new music? Kill me now. 

Edit: Sorry I was rather cranky when I wrote this. Too much CNN/Trumpism. I apologize.

From now on, it will be: Lentil

Concerning the tracks from Earth . . . . I did not like any track enough to buy them.  However, I did buy the track Santa Teresa from the iTunes Store.

Ed’s album cycle was great. I loved listening to a lot of Ed’s interviews more than his album, but the Tape Notes podcast with him should be interesting to fans of both. As mediocre as EOB is overall, it does have nice moments (Brasil’s beat drop is terribly executed but the folky first half really is gorgeous), and it’s a better solo project than Anima (which has two good songs and is otherwise terrible) or Suspiria, not to mention Weatherhouse, an album I never want to go back to.

Anyway I don’t like the negativity around the EOB album, considering its ambitions are so much higher than what any of the other members did lately. Does it succeed at these ambitions? Largely no. But he’s pushing himself at the same time the band as a whole are resting on laurels and delivering the expected style of Radiohead adjacent content.

If you read between the lines of certain interviews, Ed also seems a bit miffed (in his very good natured way) that his songwriting contributions had to be explored solo because he was never wanted as a songwriting collaborator on Radiohead albums. There are plenty of times when Ed being involved in more decisionmaking on songs may have helped flesh out Radiohead’s music to more dimensions of emotion beyond the expected mellow tense mournful mood (the final arrangement of Present Tense seems like one example where this may have happened, resulting in the highlight of AMSP). Without other helpers, his own songwriting is weak, but this is also sometimes true of Thom.

If anyone liked that Tape Notes format I recommend also checking out the Ibeyi and Rina Sawayama episodes. Ash was one of the best albums of the decade, and I didn’t particularly like Sawayama album on release, but that episode gave me a new appreciation. Caribou also did one, but I found his album so boring and maybe I’ll have to revisit it later this year (edit: Caribou album ends really strong, but the first 30 minutes are rough to get through. I still like Four Tet’s album a lot better.)