Who is still here excited for LP10?

bedroomghost

• 2 years later...

When AMSP came out, and for a while after, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be Radiohead's last album. Six years later and especially with the advent of The Smile, it seems likely that it was. I suppose everyone involved is leaving the door open, but it's not worth holding out a lot of hope at this point.

All that to say, I am for all intents and purposes considering A Light for Attracting Attention to be LP10. Thom and Jonny together are good enough that if they keep making music, I'll be happy enough without proper Radiohead. Jonny recently said he's wished the albums could be 90% as good and twice as frequent, and ALFAA at least seems to fulfill the first half of that. And that's a trade I'd take even if I had a choice.

It's a bit weird to be posting this here at this point with the board nearly dead, but it has been bummer to be jacked up for The Smile album over the last few days without being able to discuss it here with the old community. It's made me appreciate, even more, how much this place added to the enjoyment of new Radiohead releases.

Yeah - it's more like looking forward to LP11 now - ALFAA is effectively LP10.  And that puts the time 'cycle' back to 0 - so we're counting from now, not the release of AMSP.  So, potentially a number of years.  The real Q is whether the rest of RH will come together for an 'official' RH, or we have more The Smile-type projects, maybe with different additional members.  Personally I'm not that fussed if the results are as good as ALFAA.  

You gave an estimate of 90% of the quality of a RH album - I'd say more like 95%, with the only difference being additional layers, and perhaps the effect of using a jazz drummer (which was basically a positive to my ears!).  Produced by Nigel, artwork by Stanley, written by Thom with heavy input by Jonny on a number of tracks.  How much different would it really have sounded?

And by the way, I think it's brilliant.  White Flag is probably the only track that's less than excellent, and sounds a little like an out-take from Anima.  But otherwise consistently excellent - up there with the 2nd tier of RH albums - although not (for me) the top 4.

Considering how long ago AMSP was, I feel like I've been eating well regardless. Yeah, there's The Smile, but Thom's been pretty prolific too, Susperia and Anima have been on pretty constant rotation. Throw in a seemingly steady flow of 20th anniversary releases and there's not much to complain about really.

On a more personal level, while I still love Radiohead a lot and listen to them a lot, I feel like the Radiohead era of life has come to a close and that's okay. They meant and mean a lot to me but they've done their job at this point

14 hours ago, Naomi Whats said:

Considering how long ago AMSP was, I feel like I've been eating well regardless. Yeah, there's The Smile, but Thom's been pretty prolific too, Susperia and Anima have been on pretty constant rotation. Throw in a seemingly steady flow of 20th anniversary releases and there's not much to complain about really.

On a more personal level, while I still love Radiohead a lot and listen to them a lot, I feel like the Radiohead era of life has come to a close and that's okay. They meant and mean a lot to me but they've done their job at this point

Pretty much agreed.  I recall thinking, back in the IR days, about how long they would realistically keep going as a band, and producing music of that quality.  I was hoping for another 2 albums - with one more at the level of IR - and I think that ended up happening (at least with AMSP).  If The Smile is a new incarnation, or variations of it, based on Thom and Jonny (with Nigel and Stanley in the mix too), then frankly that's as close to an ongoing RH presence as it's possible to get (short of the whole band).  Even, as you say, records like Anima, which to me was stunning.

17 hours ago, Jethro2 said:

Yeah - it's more like looking forward to LP11 now - ALFAA is effectively LP10.  And that puts the time 'cycle' back to 0 - so we're counting from now, not the release of AMSP.  So, potentially a number of years.  The real Q is whether the rest of RH will come together for an 'official' RH, or we have more The Smile-type projects, maybe with different additional members.  Personally I'm not that fussed if the results are as good as ALFAA.  

You gave an estimate of 90% of the quality of a RH album - I'd say more like 95%, with the only difference being additional layers, and perhaps the effect of using a jazz drummer (which was basically a positive to my ears!).  Produced by Nigel, artwork by Stanley, written by Thom with heavy input by Jonny on a number of tracks.  How much different would it really have sounded?

And by the way, I think it's brilliant.  White Flag is probably the only track that's less than excellent, and sounds a little like an out-take from Anima.  But otherwise consistently excellent - up there with the 2nd tier of RH albums - although not (for me) the top 4.

FWIW, I don't really think ALFAA resets the clock at all. Thom and Jonny are restless and I think if the band decided to make music, they wouldn't have to wait long for those guys

I think it's probably true that an RH album would have existed with many of these songs in different versions. I think Colin would have added a lot and presumably Ed would have worked his atmospherics magic. And the sequencing feels a little wonky to me in a way most RH albums don't, but that could be my overfamiliarity with the singles

14 hours ago, Naomi Whats said:

Yeah I am mostly with you, though Thom's solo releases have never satisfied the Radiohead itch for me. I liked Anima a lot, but it's definitely a different vibe. The 20th anniversary releases, though, and particularly the Exhibition were pretty nice

I feel the same way about Radiohead and I'm sure a lot of this is us getting older and having more important things going on in life, and how long can you really obsess over a band anyways? But I've been more jacked up for The Smile release than anything since AMSP, and if Radiohead do indeed return at some point I will end up pretty giddy. But they certainly have nothing left to prove and if the pressure of a Radiohead release is more than they want to deal with at this point in their lives, I can't hold that against them. As much as I liked AMSP, though, I'd love it if they went out with something more optimistic. But there's always In Rainbows, and there's a kind of perfection to True Love Waits being their last official album song

I see what you mean about AMSP being kind of a sad note to leave on, but at the same time it feels like such a 'goodbye' album to me. It's far from my favourite RH album but it fits, I think. I do agree that the sequencing on ALFAA is a bit off, a few too many slow songs compared to fast songs, and that's something Radiohead have always nailed.

As for Thom's stuff, I think he's generally gotten better over time. The Eraser and Amok, while great, feel like he's still trying to figure stuff out. I think Tomorrow's Modern Boxes and Anima sound really confident and solid, and I've been obsessed with his Suspiria soundtrack lately, which I intentionally ignored until seeing the film (which is also great)

On 5/15/2022 at 8:51 PM, thebigpro said:

When AMSP came out, and for a while after, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be Radiohead's last album. Six years later and especially with the advent of The Smile, it seems likely that it was. I suppose everyone involved is leaving the door open, but it's not worth holding out a lot of hope at this point.

All that to say, I am for all intents and purposes considering A Light for Attracting Attention to be LP10. Thom and Jonny together are good enough that if they keep making music, I'll be happy enough without proper Radiohead. Jonny recently said he's wished the albums could be 90% as good and twice as frequent, and ALFAA at least seems to fulfill the first half of that. And that's a trade I'd take even if I had a choice.

It's a bit weird to be posting this here at this point with the board nearly dead, but it has been bummer to be jacked up for The Smile album over the last few days without being able to discuss it here with the old community. It's made me appreciate, even more, how much this place added to the enjoyment of new Radiohead releases.

I dunno, I'm still invested in Radiohead albums, but I don't have the mental energy to keep up with side projects.  I think I heard Eraser and I think I downloaded something else, I dunno what (I vaguely remember seeing "Amok" but not remembering if that's a song title or album or what) and never listening to it. 

I think it's because as time goes on I like Thom and Jonny less and less as people, roff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for talking about the Suspiria soundtrack. I only gave it a couple of listens so far, and I actuall haven't made through the whole thing both times. I am lazy with swapping the vinyls. As a listener, I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to exploring RH or Thom material. Even though I don't hold much hope that I will ever really care about AMSP the way I do about the other albums. Anima, though, I feel like I have only brushed up the surface, at most.

As for The Smile material, I don't feel very excited by what I heard so far, but out of habit, I preordered it.

AMSP is a real weird one for me. It's got one of my least favourite Radiohead songs on it with Identikit, but also has Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Glass Eyes, Present Tense, True Love Waits, etc. It just hasn't stuck with me the way the others have. It's possible that's partly down to feelings attached to the time it came out, 2016 was a particularly dramatic year of my life and AMSP is very tied to all that, so I think I repressed a lot of attachment period

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, Skuj said:

***Looks up The Smile***

OK. So....this is fucking great!!  😀  More Pablo/Bends-ish than late RH?? In a great 2022 way? Thom is not dead!! And Jonny still shreds. 

On 5/15/2022 at 8:51 PM, thebigpro said:

Yeah. This! (Maybe we call it LP 9.5?) 😃 

On 5/16/2022 at 5:17 PM, thebigpro said:

FWIW, I don't really think ALFAA resets the clock at all. Thom and Jonny are restless and I think if the band decided to make music, they wouldn't have to wait long for those guys

Yeah, I agree. Maybe ALFAA kickstarts RH, rather than delaying further. ALFAA screams "kickstart" to my ears. 

• 2 weeks later...