Sign in to follow this  
bedroomghost

Who is still here excited for LP10?

Y'all seem to be droning on as if AMSP was fuckin' Be Here Now or something. AMSP is fucking great, ok? Play it now. What other clues exist that RH is in steep decline? Did I miss something? Is Thom's new one terrible? 

LP10 will be made, and it will be monumental. 

Bitches. 

I was under the impression this thread had more to do with MT's potential lethargy than any wrongdoings of Radiohead - i agree AMSP is great, tho i'm more liable to listen to individual tracks from it than the actual thing in full :ed:

Real talk, now that a fair bit of time has passed, how likely are you to choose to listen to AMSP over other RH albums and why? Personally I love AMSP but I don't find it one I go back to often in part coz it ain't as snappy as In Rainbows and in part coz it's a very specific kind of sad I can't often deal with

I often wonder about how one's age and circumstances play a role in hating/loving an album/film/book at release time. I adore AMSP. To my ears, it is the richest, most mature, most honest RH album, and when it came out I was a 54 year old motherfucker whose bullshit tolerance had gone down to zero. AMSP is the RH I play the most in these later days. OKC/Kid A etc are brilliant in their own way, but AMSP speaks most honestly and plainly to me now. 

I have not yet accepted AMSP as an entity as I feel what happened to present tense and true love waits doesn't work for me, and tinker tailor has suffered from it, although I like it.

I must be too young or too old.

The rest of the songs, fuck yeah. They all hit the spot.

i like it it's ok. but generally, i don't agree with them for musically going in such a softer direction.

if it had more songs like ful stop then yes. and i even like the numbers for the jazzy piano. 

but if they'e not gonna rock out or play jazz then *yawn* soft adult contemporary rock is boring.

glass eyes can smd.

they did a good job with it and everything, but to me it's the first legit depressing radiohead album. i just don't really want to voluntarily enter that headspace most of the time. i guess fortunately or unfortunately i was cripplingly sad when it was released so i was grateful for it at the time.

i also think the songs just aren't fundamentally as strong at their core. the king of limbs was kind of the same in that regard. both have great styles and arrangements, but those strengths are propping a lot of the songs up rather than cranking them up to 11. not to say they're bad necessarily. they have no business still making music this good 9 albums into their career. but the number of songs i'm truly in love with from top to bottom off the last two albums is like 5 on amsp and 3 on tkol. it's literally every song on in rainbows and all but maybe 3 on httt

On 8/9/2019 at 7:55 PM, Naomi Whats said:

Real talk, now that a fair bit of time has passed, how likely are you to choose to listen to AMSP over other RH albums and why? Personally I love AMSP but I don't find it one I go back to often in part coz it ain't as snappy as In Rainbows and in part coz it's a very specific kind of sad I can't often deal with

i don't know if i'll ever revisit as a full album in its delivered tracklisting, actually, but i'm pretty damn likely to revisit individual tracks (especially the two bonuses) except for TLW, which the IMBW version is still my go-to.

i've actually been spinning The Bends more than usual lately.  i mean i've always liked it & whatnot but damn on a track by track basis it has some of what i'd still consider to be top-notch RH material

Just in particular has some of my favorite recorded Jonny guitarwork on it but it was usually overlooked by me cos that one was just "the big single" or whatev

On 8/16/2019 at 2:12 AM, babydoctor said:

they did a good job with it and everything, but to me it's the first legit depressing radiohead album. i just don't really want to voluntarily enter that headspace most of the time. i guess fortunately or unfortunately i was cripplingly sad when it was released so i was grateful for it at the time.

i also think the songs just aren't fundamentally as strong at their core. the king of limbs was kind of the same in that regard. both have great styles and arrangements, but those strengths are propping a lot of the songs up rather than cranking them up to 11. not to say they're bad necessarily. they have no business still making music this good 9 albums into their career. but the number of songs i'm truly in love with from top to bottom off the last two albums is like 5 on amsp and 3 on tkol. it's literally every song on in rainbows and all but maybe 3 on httt

I generally agree with this I think. There are definitely songs where the production and arrangement elevate them to that 11 tier for me, like Daydreaming and Glass Eyes, and I think Present Tense is just great anyway. But it's definitely a mood album rather than an album of great songs, and that mood is extremely sad. It doesn't help that it came out at a very difficult point in my life that I'm still not over so going back to it can genuinely be quite painful

i'd even go so far as to say it's depressingness is what makes it damn-near impossible for me to listen to as a whole album.  not to say it's bad or anything but the first time i listened to this as a whole, I was driving and the level of mood drop i experienced when Burn the Witch turned to Daydream & didn't let up until track 5 can probably be described with the following gif

giphy.gif