bedroomghost

Radiohead Forums/Fansites dying out

I remember the bustling days of Radiohead fandom where everyone was starting up some kind of Radiohead fansites in the early to mid 2000's.

Of course the big two were Green Plastic and At Ease (no longer active).  And then there were smaller sites like Follow Me Around(No longer active)

And too many other numerous ones to list that are either gone, or just sitting there like Treefingers.com like ghost town.  If you want to see an eerie website, go to Treefingers.com. It is still up after all these years and the last update was in March of 2006. The message board was overrun by bots and it finally died out.

Doesn't it cost money to run a site? how is this site still up for twelve years?

Even here on Mortigi Tempo, it seems to be dying out. I thought the death of Atease would send some of its active members to come flooding in but even the community there was quite dead as well.

All of the older members of RH communities have grown older and the younger kids aren't into forums as they are Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

It was fun while it lasted and also a little depressing now that Radiohead are close to calling it quits.  They're not going to do this forever.

One more album at best.  Two if we're hopeful.  Asking for five more would be a pipe dream.

"...this seemed to him to contain the kernel of all experience, became to him the image of all the joys and sufferings of life. He could give in to this melancholy and shudder at all things transitory with the same abandonment with which he gave in to love. This melancholy was also a form of love, of desire. As ecstasy, at the peak of blissful tension, is certain that it must vanish and with with the next breath, his innermost loneliness and abandonment to melancholy was certain that it would suddenly be swallowed by desire, by new abandonment to the light side of life. Death and ecstasy were one. The mother of life could be called love or desire; she could also be called death, grave, or decay."

I know that fan sites and message boards aren't really a thing these days.  I don't know how it is for newer bands - if they have this kind of fan community stuff somewhere.  surely they must.  people will still want to talk about their favorite bands with others who share their enthusiasm. only the methods of doing so change.  on mt, everybody went to slack. 

but people have been saying rh is getting ready to disband for as long as I've been here. 3 albums, umpteen solo projects, and however many tours later, still hasn't happened.  it could, obviously. nothing lasts forever.   tho I don't really know why they'd need to. as it is they each go off and do their own thing in between rh stuff, and it all works out.  

i hope they never formally disband - that always comes across as a negative, like they don't want to work together anymore, or can't get along or something.  there's this view that they're all old friends from school, extended family, and that's pretty nice to think about.  better than it being just a business to them.

I think Radiohead may never formally split. They’ve all got other prjoects, and time to do them, plus no real pressure to make a Radiohead album if they don’t want to. They seem content with the way things are.

Personally I’m enjoying the slowly dying phase of MT. Like a Beckett inspired existential post-apocalypse

All these years, rather than post on this forum, I read other people's posts so I could learn information about Radiohead.  I did post a few questions here and there.  The reason I spent so little time on this forum is because I just didn't have the time.  A day is only 24 hours and I still struggle to cram so many things into it.  I am always behind when it comes to getting information about my favorite bands.  Recently, I started catching up on acquiring Radiohead information and music.  For example, I am very grateful to have finally had the chance to download (from YouTube) the music from Scotch Mist.  For several years, it had been on my list of things to research.  Currently, it's in my Downloads folder, but I have not yet had time to import it to my iTunes library, separate it into individual tracks and enjoy it.  I still have a list of Radiohead stuff I want to follow-up on.  I may need this forum to ask a few questions . . . . . so I hope it stays available for a little longer.  I am also very grateful that a few members of the forum have helped me with things on my Radiohead list.   :D

All these years, rather than post on this forum, I read other people's posts so I could learn information about Radiohead. I did post a few questions here and there. The reason I spent so little time on this forum is because I just didn't have the time. A day is only 24 hours and I still struggle to cram so many things into it. I am always behind when it comes to getting information about my favorite bands. Recently, I started catching up on acquiring Radiohead information and music. For example, I am very grateful to have finally had the chance to download (from YouTube) the music from Scotch Mist. For several years, it had been on my list of things to research. Currently, it's in my Downloads folder, but I have not yet had time to import it to my iTunes library, separate it into individual tracks and enjoy it. I still have a list of Radiohead stuff I want to follow-up on. I may need this forum to ask a few questions . . . . . so I hope it stays available for a little longer. I am also very grateful that a few members of the forum have helped me with things on my Radiohead list. :D

Have you tried watchibg scotch mist?

Have you tried watchibg scotch mist?

Not yet . . . . . I just haven't had time.  However, I have the YouTube video of Scotch Mist in the Bookmarks Menu thing on my Internet Browser so I will watch it as soon as I can.

I think it's mostly that people don't use message boards anymore.  I know there's a subreddit for Radiohead, but I've never been on there, because I mostly use Reddit to look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure memes.  Tumblr has?  Had?  A pretty active Radiohead community, I don't know about that either, because I don't use Tumblr for that, either! 

It's a lot easier to use those than it is to use MT, I think, because there's not like, an app for MT, it's kind of a pain to use this site on mobile.  Can't even go to the last page on a thread, what's up with that?

IT KIND OF SUCKS because I've been listening to Radiohead more than usual lately and I wish I had someone normal to talk about Radiohead with.  (Is that even the right term? Normal?  Probably not but I don't want to talk to Superfan Friend about Radiohead.)

There's still plenty of activity and enthusiasm on the band's subreddit. That's where the energy has gone. MT was down for a long time - naturally interest is going to diminish in a board that wasn't functional for an extended period of time. Same with Atease.

stuff like Reddit & whatnot is so faceless compared to an actual, specifically-tailored message board.  I use R but it's not really a substitute, just a more "official" place to discuss certain things.  imdb shutting their boards down using Reddit as an excuse was some bullshit as well

I miss the good old days when message boards were the shit. Twitter now rules with its 280 characters. Attention spans have decreased. Slack is (was?) sexy.

Come on, Bitches. Make Message Boards Great Again!!! You know.....paragraphs, conversations, reviews, reactions, prose, poetry, articles, etc.

Yes we can.

Yeah, I'm not too big of a fan of Reddit, just because it's really impersonal, it's hard to build any kind of friendships/kind of community on there.  I've been using it since late last year, and there's only one person who I can remember, because they post pictures of cups decorated with manga panels of Naruto/My Hero Academia/DBZ, lol. 

It also kinda sucks because you get downvoted for the wildest shit.  I made a post in a Riverdale subreddit making a joke about how Hiram and Hermione Lodge survived drinking poison or whatever and someone called me a "fucking retard" and the score on the post was -4.  What to heck? I've seen some other completely innocuous posts get downvoted to hell for no reason.  I think it's because nefarious people are using the following option to follow people around and downvote all their posts.  I'm glad Reddit is gonna make the followers public.

Reddit is pretty on-point for memes though, which is the best use of it. I kinda wish I could make a Radiohead meme thread but I don't think MT has enough people to do it.

Yeah, I'm amazed at how many people abandoned this wonderful forum like thing for other (inferior) platforms. I still don't know wtf reddit or slack is. :) And I will never join twitter, because....well.....fuck you Trump. 

Lengthy (relatively speaking) discourse is old school. 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, TheTruth said:

post a link!

I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it!! I gotta badger my ex about this since he's the one whomst told me.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Chevy's Chevy Chase said:

yeah, but can you make a bitchin' alt account on a radiohead meme reddit?

didn't think so...

People make alt accounts on Reddit all the time, but they're called "throwaways" there.  I've been people make accounts just for memes, like KakyoinExplainsIt on the Shitpost Crusaders sub.  God, I love Jojo.