Sign in to follow this  
chroma

Radiohead to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/radiohead-react-comment-rock-roll-induction/

In an announcement this morning, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame named Radiohead as one of its prestigious 2019 inductees. While fans may see the decision as well overdue, Thom Yorke & co. have long held an ambivalence toward the Hall of Fame institution.

“I don’t care,” Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood responded when asked about the band’s potential enshrinement in an interview last year. Guitarist Ed O’Brien was similarly uninterested, saying, “I don’t want to be rude about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because for a lot of people it means something, but culturally I don’t understand it. I think it might be a quintessential American thing.” O’Brien added he’d “rather be sitting at home in front of the fire or going to a gig” than attend the ceremony.

However, in response to today’s announcement, Radiohead opted for a more gracious tone. “The members of Radiohead have been surprised to learn of the band’s induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2019. The band thanks the Hall of Fame voting body and extends congratulations to this year’s fellow inductees,” they said in a statement.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2019 induction ceremony will take place March 29th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Joining Radiohead are The CureJanet JacksonStevie Nicks (for the second time!), Roxy MusicDef Leppard, and The Zombies.

I've seen some cynical people on here posting that the HoF is a joke, waste of time,etc.

And maybe their right.

But I've also watched interviews with famous black artists (specfically Ray Charles, The Impressions, and Isley Brothers) who cut their teeth during the nasty days of Jim Crowe in the South and have said that getting inducted into the HoF has been something of a validation.

So while I get it's really cool to talk shit about the HoF, I also can appreciate what it means to people.

Oh would that involve a performance? Can't help but think of what they pulled off at the Grammys. Not that it was necessarily exclusively for the Grammys, but still, it had turned out to be really something.

I will never understand what constitutes entry into this thing and how the timing works. Zombies 51 years after That Album?

I mean, Sonic Youth is not in it. SONIC FUCKING YOUTH!!!

I hate to be contrarian, but I don't give a fuck, and I hope RH doesn't either.

I think a lot of people have issues with the HoF because so many inductees now aren't really rock and roll, even Radiohead. I guess it is nice to be recognised but a lot of people see it now as having been diluted because of a lot of the acts that are now inducted.

Randy's right, it amazes me that anyone cares about it. Rock and roll as a genre, as opposed to just meaning culturally significant pop music, has been all but irrelevant since the mid 2000s at the latest, depending on how exactly you define it. Honestly it's one of my least favourite terms in all of music because it's so meaningless and is mainly used by dads to explain why music isn't good anymore because not enough people play guitars