I have been a big fan of R.E.M since I was young and my friend told me to listen to this band called Radiohead. Thought I'd put line out to ask why they have ripped of R.E.M so bad? Literally so confused

I mean, there was Electioneering ...

But other similarities are probably more related to the long term friendship between Stipe and Thom.  Eg the very conscious relationship between RH's How to Disappear Completely and REM's (later) Disappear.

not that one!

:angry:

this was YEARS before then!

You do not know true heart break until you watch “that” scene in UP. That directly inspired Kid A - ain’t no doubt about it.

REM does not factor in any of this.

These are facts.

As a rabid REM fan (seriously, I've seen over 1,000 concerts, and while a Radiohead show is in my top 5 ever, REM is in the #1 spot), I still gotta say... I do NOT see how you think Radiohead is an REM rip off.

Good point in reply above about Electioneering.  But other than that, no, don't see it at all.  

Doesn't mean REM didn't influence Radiohead musically, or their members personally; given how early in Radiohead's career they supported REM, and how much REM loved and still loves Radiohead, I'm sure there was some cross-fertilization there.  But an REM rip off?  Don't see that in any way whatsoever.

But this brings up the sore point in my music history that when I saw what I think was one of REM's weakest shows, on the Monster tour, I found out years later we missed having Radiohead as the opener by ONE SHOW.  They finished their opening slot the tourdate before, and I think we got Grant Lee Buffalo in Boston the next show?  I'm still incredibly sad about that (nothing against Grant Lee Buffalo).

So, aside from not seeing/hearing what you see/hear OP, this post does give me an excuse to tell this Radiohead/REM crossover story: last year when Radiohead played in Portland, OR, I went to the show on my own. I was walking around between the openers and Radiohead in the Moda Center (is that the correct name?) and I was thinking about the whole "Top 5 shows ever" for me and how lucky I was to have seen those 5 or even the top 10 shows, because they were life-changing shows.  REM was at the top but Radiohead remains one of my all time top fave live bands ever ever (with stiff competition only from the Clash, Jeff Buckley, and REM) so I was thinking about both bands but a lot about that #1 REM show.

Then just scanning the crowd as I walk around I do a double take, then a triple take, and realize I am NOT imagining things, there is Peter Buck of REM standing there (and Scott McCaughey (sp?)), in plain view in the main walkway.  I walk up to him, blink a couple of times, and tell him why he was literally just on my mind.  He asks me which show was my #1, I tell him and mention specifically it was the 2nd show of a 2 night run, and HE starts to tell ME all about both shows, and I realize I'm standing in a venue about to see my beloved Radiohead, hearing Peter Buck tell me about MY favorite REM show from his view, and I just about imploded, can't believe I lived to tell this now, it was so beyond magical!!!  And of course the show was fantastic (though I think the actual show in Seattle the night before was a better show, but this was a better setlist if I recall).  So that was a pretty damned incredible night as a music fan.

Sorry, what were we talking about?  How REM and Radiohead are each their very own unique bands, and both stunningly incredible bands, live and recorded?  Yes, yes I agree with that completely!

Then just scanning the crowd as I walk around I do a double take, then a triple take, and realize I am NOT imagining things, there is Peter Buck of REM standing there (and Scott McCaughey (sp?)), in plain view in the main walkway.  I walk up to him, blink a couple of times, and tell him why he was literally just on my mind.  He asks me which show was my #1, I tell him and mention specifically it was the 2nd show of a 2 night run, and HE starts to tell ME all about both shows, and I realize I'm standing in a venue about to see my beloved Radiohead, hearing Peter Buck tell me about MY favorite REM show from his view, and I just about imploded, can't believe I lived to tell this now, it was so beyond magical!!!  And of course the show was fantastic (though I think the actual show in Seattle the night before was a better show, but this was a better setlist if I recall).  So that was a pretty damned incredible night as a music fan.

that's a cool story. i wouldn't expect him to be able to remember and talk about one particular show out of hundreds performed. (unless it was a particularly great show.)

my first radiohead show was also my first R.E.M. show. 

i never thought about it before, but for an opening act, radiohead sounded fantastic. usually openers don't have very good equipment, (compared to the headliners) but even back then radiohead had really good sound. 

R.E.M was good too. it was the Monster tour.

But this brings up the sore point in my music history that when I saw what I think was one of REM's weakest shows, on the Monster tour, I found out years later we missed having Radiohead as the opener by ONE SHOW.  

and that was the show i saw! it was their last night together!

Lucky you Sleepy Jack, you saw that combo!  I'm full of envy (and happy for you)!

Trust me, I was stunned that Peter Buck could recall that specific show.  It was 30 yrs earlier, and I KNOW he remembered specifics because some of the specifics he remembered about how the 2 night stand went were exactly what I remember about why the 1st night was one of the less good REM shows I saw, and the 2nd night remains my #1 best REM show and concert ever from a fan perspective.  He didn't remember the 2nd show as some stellar outrageously superior REM show the way I did, but he remembered the shows and was able to comment on them in some detail and compare them.  Ridiculously incredible memory!  

so i just wanna get this out into the archives. speaking of memories.

for the longest time i thought i went to the REM [w/Radiohead] show on Oct 1st, and then on Oct 3rd of 1995

but that was a false marijuana memory.

i did definitely go to the Oct 1 show, but now, since Grace reminded me that Grant Lee Buffalo opened for them on Oct 3rd, I definitely remember Lucious Jackson opened for them in an open air place in Mass when I saw them. So that had to be Great Woods on June 16, 17, or 18th of 1995. I may never know which night, but I doubt it was the Friday.

At the Oct 1 gig, a friend offered me a ticket to the Oct 3 show and I turned it down, having had seen them twice, and since  Radiohead wasn't opening for them.

thanks to http://www.remtimeline.com/1995.html and setlist fm (to a frustratingly lesser degree) for helping me piece this together.

Sorry, what were we talking about?  How REM and Radiohead are each their very own unique bands, and both stunningly incredible bands, live and recorded?  Yes, yes I agree with that completely!

:lol:

what i do want to know is.... Grace, what night was the best REM show you went to? Let's see what the REM timeline has to say about it!!

Hi there Sleepy Jack, 1st off maybe we were at the same (or close to same) Great Woods show with REM, because I also saw Luscious Jackson open at Great Woods on Monster (or what tour was that if not Monster?).  But I feel like I saw Grant Lee Buffalo too, just can't remember what year that was.

2nd, I'm about to post setlists for both the 2 shows I talked to Peter Buck about, but I should clarify first and give context for why, after seeing about 1,500+ concerts in my life (probably closer to 2,000 now) this show stands out SO MUCH.  

Sorry, this will be long, but you did ask :)

It's probably just as much about it being a particularly great show, as it was *my* personal experience as a fan at that specific show.  It was the Document tour, and I love Document but Life's Rich Pageant was probably and still is probably my favorite REM album and I was MADLY IN LOVE with seeing them do songs from that live.  So I went in already goo goo ga ga for the likely setlist which was mostly LRP and Document.

Then add the context that it was NYC, Radio City Music Hall, 2 sold out nights.  Most bands love to play NYC, and it was just a hyped up vibe both nights in the audience.

More context: to put it frankly (and Peter Buck confirmed this): Night 1 at least 2 of the 4 of them were super drunk by the time they went onstage, and it just wasn't a great performance.  Still fun, still good, but it was lacking.  This was one of the 1st things Buck said that matched my memory of the 2 nights.

Night 2: jayzus did they bring it!  And more specific to me, Night 2 I was very front row, between Stipe and Buck.  I had an interesting "look" then, and I tended to get a bit of attention for the way I looked, AND I was singing every word of every damn song they played.  The thing that was INTENSE about this show for me that made it the best of all was that I often felt transported to another place, got so into the music I had my eyes closed a lot, and often when I opened them, Michael Stipe or Bill Berry were looking right at me.  Several times we held each others' gaze as they played and I danced and we all sang.  It was like being part of the dynamic.  

I had backstage passes for both shows because I knew people working there, so after Night 2 when i saw Stipe and then when I saw Berry, they both said similar things: Stipe said "I was feeding off your energy the whole night" and Berry said something similar, so I knew I didn't imagine it, I was a little piece of the dynamic and THAT made it an unreal, unforgettable concert for me to love the band, the songs, and the experience so much AND to have 1/2 the band say I was part of their experience too.  I was just speechless for ages.

Only thing that would have made it even more perfect (cuz it was already perfect) would have been if they'd done "Just A Touch" Night 2 also, because that's one of my most favorite LRP songs.  But fuck it, I was beyond joyous so it was all good.  AND they did my favorite cover, Crazy by Pylon, so that made up for no Just a Touch :)

Ok, so I've blabbed on about that, let me know what your sources say about these 2 shows:

6 October 1987 - Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY 

support: 10,000 Maniacs 

set: Finest Worksong / These Days / Welcome To The Occupation / Cuyhahoga / Exhuming McCarthy / Orange Crush / Feeling Gravitys Pull / King Of Birds / Sitting Still / Title / Tired Of Singing Trouble / I Believe / Fireplace / Driver 8 / Superman / Oddfellows Local 151 / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Begin The Begin 

encore 1: Disturbance At The Heron House / Fall On Me / The One I Love 

encore 2: Midnight Blue - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Ain't No Sunshine / Just A Touch 

encore 3: Harpers / Wolves, Lower / Life And How To Live It

7 October 1987 - Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY 

support: 10,000 Maniacs 

10,000 Maniacs set included: A Campfire Song 

R.E.M.: Finest Worksong / These Days / Pilgrimage / Disturbance At The Heron House / Exhuming McCarthy / Orange Crush / Feeling Gravitys Pull / The Flowers Of Guatemala / Fireplace / Tired Of Singing Trouble / I Believe / Maps And Legends / Driver 8 / Superman / Pretty Persuasion / Oddfellows Local 151 / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Begin The Begin 

encore 1: Strange / Title / Fall On Me / We Walk / 1,000,000 / See No Evil 

encore 2: Harpers / Crazy / The One I Love 

notes: Natalie Merchant guests on 'We Walk', Michael guests on 'A Campire Song' with the 10,000 Maniacs on their opening set. After 'The Flowers Of Guatemala', Michael again quotes from David Bowie's 'Diamond Dogs' - "This ain't rock and roll, this is genocide".

so much perfect about that story. perfect era for them. perfect songbook. perfect venue. even a great opening act. 

awesome story. i'm glad i asked!

You're a rockstar for even reading it all, and I'm very glad you enjoyed it!  It felt good to write it, especially with last night having been my last Radiohead show this tour and me being all nostalgic already about that, so fun to go back yesterday and write all that out.

I have been a big fan of R.E.M since I was young and my friend told me to listen to this band called Radiohead. Thought I'd put line out to ask why they have ripped of R.E.M so bad? Literally so confused

Radiohead sounds absolutely nothing like R.E.M. 

Thom just happens to be a good friend of Michael Stipe and that is all.

so i just wanna get this out into the archives. speaking of memories.

i did definitely go to the Oct 1 show, but now, since Grace reminded me that Grant Lee Buffalo opened for them on Oct 3rd, I definitely remember Lucious Jackson opened for them in an open air place in Mass when I saw them. So that had to be Great Woods on June 16, 17, or 18th of 1995. I may never know which night, but I doubt it was the Friday.

follow up!

i found my ticket stub and it turns out i went to the Saturday June 17th show at great woods. AND i had just seen the dead (for the last time) in Highgate VT on the 15th. 

This all reminds me of before the net when you had to camp outside the store overnight to get the hot tickets. It was a pain in the ass but you were amongst friends and true fans.