Sign in to follow this  
laire

Bruno Mars will win the Grammy.

my main points in order od descending importance were

1. fleet foxes sucks

2. bon iver sucks

3. I'm not really that much of an anti-poptimist, but I do think people fooling themselves into thinking the grammys mean a speck of anything is an amusing by-product of poptimism

4. the music website I habitually read every day writes more often about popular music I don't listen to.  they used to write more often about unpopular music I don't listen to (really no idea how the ihgg-meister picked up on this).  I am genuinely curious if pitchfork started writing more about mainstream music after they were bought by conde nast.  anecdotally this seems to be the case.  this fact being true would not delegitimize popular music.

i agree with 1-3  but pitchfork were trying to do poptimism since like 2005, though they used to be a lot more openly condescending in their pop coverage back then, though you could prob argue most of their current pop coverage is pretty condescending. idk i never look at pitchfork at all since 2009 or so because they didnt review exit dreams.

i didn't pick up on anything btw! that post is originally from several years ago, i think before pitchfork was acquired.

I hear ya, I guess I think their pop coverage has been gradually increasing over time.

one thing they've done post conde nast that I like is sunday reviews of old albums.  like, reading a review of a new album has never been particularly helpful to me unless it's by a critic with whom I'm really familiar and know their taste what their deal is etc. (and there arent any like that for me really) but I like reading longer things about albums I know well.